[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Roman coin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 20160318_150438.jpg (699 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160318_150438.jpg
699 KB, 2560x1536
I saw pic related at the field museum yesterday. It said the following on the display:

> Roman coin
>2nd-3rd century ad
> likely the visage of Fortuna, goddess of luck and fortune

Now to me it looks like she is holding a stalk of wheat, so I would think it was actually Ceres. Thoughts?
>>
File: JuliaDomna-RICIV-546.jpg (60 KB, 750x345) Image search: [Google]
JuliaDomna-RICIV-546.jpg
60 KB, 750x345
>>858876
Looked around and could not find any coin similar...atleast with Fortuna or Ceres in them.

Also from what I saw, the pic related is more usual way Romans pictured stalk of wheat, on coins.
>>
>>859011
Ahh thanks. How about the inscription on this one? I see DNVALENTINI, I understand that as divine Valentinian, then I see INVSPFAVC. I figure invictus for the INVS, but after that I'm lost.

I had a great time at this museum, I'll dump some other pics later maybe if the thread lives.
>>
File: 20160318_150429.jpg (499 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160318_150429.jpg
499 KB, 2560x1536
>>859069
Fack, forgot pic
>>
>>858876
it's a palm leaf nigga
>>
>>858876
Not to disparage your opinion on that it may be Ceres or not, but if it's sitting in a museum its more than likely that a really smart dude sat there for a long long time considering all options before he settled on Fortuna. That does look like a stalk of wheat, though.
>>
>>859078
no i agree someone much smarter made that decision, i was just wondering why. Fortuna is usually depicted blindfolded and holding the cornucopia horn, so i was just wondering what was up.
>>
Fortuna annonaria
>>
>>859088
>Fortuna annonaria
>Fortuna Annonaria brought the luck of the harvest

Baller, thank you. Just trying to learn more :^)
>>
>>859069

P(ublii) F(ilius) Aug(ustus)?
>>
>>859069
Assuming 2nd-3rd century is correct, I doubt it's Valentinian. Valerian, maybe.
>>
>>858876
Fortuna has many aspects that are often depicted differently. I have a coin with Fortuna Redux on it and she's depicted with a wheel, and not blindfolded. (can't post pic now unfortunately)

Anyway that pic is indeed Fortuna as the other anon said, just a different aspect.
>>
File: 20160318_153658.jpg (1020 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160318_153658.jpg
1020 KB, 2560x1536
>>859291
Thanks, I know almost nothing about aspects, I'll have to read more.

Any other museums you can recommend in the mid west? Live in La Crosse WI
>>
>>859306
The Chicago art gallery had a fuckton of classical coins, artifacts, statues and even a huge Byzantine 5th century mosaic of wild animals. That's at least what I saw in July of 2015. As far as I'm aware of, they also had a temporary exhibit of medieval arms and armor.

I also suppose if you like art, it's essential then really

I
>>
>>859306
Have you been to the Art Institute of Chicago yet? They have a shitton of historical stuff, coins, sculptures from cycladic greece through roman empire...they also have Medieval armor up, including a full calvary set which is cool.

Not to mention the iconic art shit. There's a pretty big Van Gogh exhibit going on right now.

>>859320
don't know if this anon was talking about the AIC or not
>>
>>859291
Aspects are basically a word used to describe different forms a God might take on for certain things. It's common in polytheistic religions, particularly Greco-Roman polytheism.

Ever heard of Athena? She had an aspect called Athena Nike who was a goddess of victory - which has a shrine at the Parthenon. Fun fact, that's also where the Nike brand name comes from: it symbolizes victory, which makes sense for a brand of shoes meant for sports, doesn't it?
>>
>>859545
Meant to reply to
>>859306
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.