[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We know that in general terms, emotions really are just a bunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 2275317.jpg (239 KB, 1113x1600) Image search: [Google]
2275317.jpg
239 KB, 1113x1600
We know that in general terms, emotions really are just a bunch of chemical reactions going off in the brain but what is it that excludes the lower animals from displaying emotions? Occasionally I can tell that my dog is disgruntled or unsatisfied when I have to yell at him for some particular reason no where near the degree that any human could display it.

Is intellect a tool to suppress emotional outbursts or one that amplifies them?
>>
Im no expert, biut i imagine that more complicated brains have a more complicated range of emotions.
>>
>>858235
> Emotions really are just a bunch of chemical reactions
Well they're a little more then that, you have outside stimuli causing it.

Saying it's just chemicals in your brain is like saying that the picture you posted is just some chemicals in your brain.
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>858260
But the causation of stimuli is the release of said chemicals. I'm trying not to tip my fedora to hard but let's not try and derail the thread.
>>
>>858235
>We know that in general terms, emotions really are just a bunch of chemical reactions

Citation needed
>>
>>858283
Fucking knew someone would post this shitty fedora meme.
>>
>>858235
>what is it that excludes the lower animals from displaying emotions?
They may display them, but not in ways that are familiar to humans. And some animals are more expressive than others. Humans, being a social species, will of course make a greater emphasis on displaying emotion, because that's important for communication.
>>
>>858235
You don't surpress emotions. Basic psychology should have taught you that your subconscious is always ticking. You can no more stop that from working than you can will your heart to stop beating.

Philosophies that view humans as 'inconflict' with their emotions are anti-nature and completly outdated.
>>
>>859030
To add to this your desire to supress your emotions is itself an emotion. Humans are emotional beings.
>>
>>858235
I think another dog looking at your pissed off dog would see much more than you do.

My mom caters to many stray cats that come in the backyard, and depending on what clothes she is wearing, they either recognize or not recognize her. When she wears clothes the cats aren't used to see, they stare at her like its the first time they see her.

To cats, our faces are probably naked furless mess that constantly move, especially when we talk (animals must think we are so annoyingly noisy, we're worst than birds, we talk so fucking much)
>>
Chemicals...Nothing but chemicals from the primordial soup that is...Science...Fools...Believing in such fairy tales...
>>
Please don't attach my waifu to your Reddit-tier pseudo intellectual drivel. Thank you.
>>
File: ts (21).jpg (3 MB, 4613x6629) Image search: [Google]
ts (21).jpg
3 MB, 4613x6629
>>858235
op your low res pic burns my eyes
>>
>>858235
Animals seem to allign with severely retarded children.
They seem to be completely overwhelmed by whatever emotional state they're in, because theres not much else going on in their conciousness. "completely in the moment".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_VmqZNykc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwFxjzxYORs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Tv-L3Dtg4
Our brain allows to plan ahead and delay rewards or supress(for a price) and fake emotions for manipulation purpouses. Seems like a solid advantage evolutionary speaking.

So yeah intellect seems to give more insight and also more control over emotional reactions. Not sure how it would amplify them.
>>
>>858235
>>859615
Spoopy skeleton
>>
Animals have, and display, emotion the same way we do. Especially social animals.
>>
>>860836
>>>/Africa/
>>
>>858283
No, it's the other way around; the stimuli is causing the release of said chemicals.
>>
>>859615
She looks nice in blue.
>>
>>859064
wow i think you're onto something there, i think my dog hates when i listen to rap and begins to groan/become irritated.
>>
Simply put, it has to do with the complexity of neurological entanglement.
Not necessarily the quality or quality of the neurons themselves, but how often a large number pathways end up crossing each other to create constant, detailed patterns.

Over time, those with better mutations that support survival pass presets on, and boom! You get a smart, emotional species.

Emotions themselves do two things:
1.) Punctuate importance
2.) Act as shortcuts when negatives and positives are displayed, in order to create deeper, more meaningful/useful connections and therefore reations and alignments
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.