[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cherynobyl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
I was watching this video expecting to see mutants and bandits. But it looks like the land and animals are all healed up.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d40_1458333988

So what do you think /his/? Is nuclear fallout a meme?

Also post interesting stuff and pictures.
>>
bumping for artifacts
>>
Do you also think Godzilla is real?
>>
nuclear war isn't that bad, just after WW2 we should have threatened to use the A-bomb on the red army to get them to retreat to pre WW2 borders, patton was right all along
>>
>>856979
No but I believe there is things in this world that we have not seen yet.

>>856994
I am almost tempted to move there and start a small farm, all the animals look very happy and healthy. There is even fish swimming in the pond next to the melted out reactor. Very amazing.
>>
>>857087
I remember reading that the leaf litter has barely decayed at all compared to surrounding areas (killed off bacteria and fungi?)
>>
>>857096
Interesting, I wonder if the plants and fauna are actually healthier. In the video it says the reproductive rates of the mice actually improved.
>>
>>856632
>>857100

>inb4 someone nukes Australia in hopes of creating an actual decent place to live
>>
>>856632
>Is nuclear fallout a meme?
Not really, we can observe some pretty huge effects of radiation on people who live is areas that have been affected by fallout. Thyroid cancer is just one of these and the rate of thyroid cancer in towns near Fukashima has skyrocketed since the accident there.
>>
>>857198
wow, people get cancer at their 50's, not 60-70's as before. that's pretty far from those radioactive deserts that are inhabited only by mutants and ghouls that actually still is the image of radioactive fallout in most people's minds.
>>
>>857260

Radiation, particularly gamma radiation, zips straight through your body and deposits it's energy into the molecules that make up your body. This will cause the molecules to break their bonds die to the gamma ray dumping energy into it.

When this happens to molecules that make up your DNA, you have a mutation where part of your DNA in that spot has changed from "normal."

This generally causes cancer.

For mutants and other strange creatures to form sue to radiation, you would need the radiation to change enough of a creature's genes that will change the offspring into something that is viable and and doesn't kill it before it can reproduce.

Very unlikely since very high does of radiation just kill you.
>>
>>856632
Radiation and its effects definitely has been overplayed by sci-fi media, but it doesn't mean radiation-induced mutations and other effects don't exist.

What mutations that did happen at Chernobyl, mostly as a result of birth defects, were generally grotesque and the children never lived long at all due to cancer and other such complications.

That's only a small minority though, most people who were exposed to Chernobyl-level radiation experienced hair falling out, intense sickness, uncontrolled vomiting and muscle pain until you died.

and typical recipients of nuclear fallout would just get cancer and die a slow death that way.
>>
>>858373
>>858231
So why does it seem that most of the animals have no ill effects. Is it simply because they have shorter life-spans and are able to "bounce" back quicker.

It almost sounds stupid, but it would seem a little bit of radiation is actually good for them.
>>
>>858578
It's more about the lack of human involvement than anything. It is interesting how fast nature can grow back on its own.
>>
>>858602
Fair enough, nature is scary mang.
>>
>>858578
>So why does it seem that most of the animals have no ill effects.
Oh, they have.
Cancer, mutation, smaller brain size, diformities in large mammals(wolves are bigger, but their bones are spongy), gigantism and albinism in the plants, soil level ecosystems are very screwed etc.
Some small birds are adapting to an extent, but no, they are not doing just fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_the_Chernobyl_disaster#Plant_and_animal_health
>>
>>858578
mutated animal puppets just die off. Unlike human babies.
>>
>>858578
No one notices when a rabbit gets cancer.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.