[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /his/ hate on Protestantism so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1454119638139.png (424 KB, 498x735) Image search: [Google]
1454119638139.png
424 KB, 498x735
Why does /his/ hate on Protestantism so bad?
>>
>>856551
Because it was the equivalent of islamic fundamentalism "we only need the one book?" and created a schism in europe that would never repair itself
>>
>>856551
destroyed tradition, aesthetics were generally trash, split apart europe into years of bloody war, and destroyed the concept of christendom forever.
>>
I see more posts by that one guy who thinks the Catholic Church is the whore of babylon
>>
>>856563
>>856568
>muh papacy
>>
>>856551
It's just so hilariously inconsistent.
>We'll throw out tradition and only follow the Bible
>but we'll follow it according to our own interpretation, which we'll pass down as tradition
>and we'll stretch the text as far as humanly possible to make it fit what we believe
>but we'll claim we follow it and only it to the point where we obssess more about the book than Jesus
>>
>>856551
All of 4chan is under the impression that American-style evangelicalism is representative of Protestantism.
>>
>>856570
I think he's baiting
>>
>>856580
It doesn't help that the most vehement protposters here are of that strain.
>>
File: Luther.jpg (901 KB, 943x1456) Image search: [Google]
Luther.jpg
901 KB, 943x1456
>>856563
>>856568
>>
File: luther.png (558 KB, 720x402) Image search: [Google]
luther.png
558 KB, 720x402
>>856551
>Why does /his/ hate on Protestantism so bad?
Because Protestants never read the 95 Theses, if they did they would stop loving Martin "the Pope does well" Luther.

>61. For it is clear that for the remission of penalties and of reserved cases, the power of the pope is of itself sufficient.

They're that retarded.
>>
>>856579
As opposed to Catholicism which is

>we'll throw out the bible in favor of tradition
>but we will follow the bible when it suits us, which we'll pass down as tradition
>and we'll stretch the text as far as humanly possible to make it fit what we believe
>but we'll claim we follow it and only to the point where we obsess more about Mary than Jesus
>>
>>857266
you are an idiot
>>
>>857303
terrific argument my catholic friend
>>
>>857266
Kill yourself

The blessed virgin mother of God is to be adored

Mary is the new Eve, a perfect woman and utterly sinless

Her hands reach far and wide, alieviating the sufferings of all who love her
>>
Because protestantism is the greatest force against scientific thinking and progress in Western civilization, whereas the Big Bang and genetics began with a Catholic priest and a Catholic friar, respectively.

>>857307
The Catholic Church compiled the Bible.
There is not a verse in the Bible that tells you which books go in and which do not.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 600x600
>>857266
>we'll throw out the bible in favor of tradition
Which is based on and around the bible (watch a Catholic Mass on YouTube and make note of the use of scripture in virtually every aspect including a Psalm and readings from the Old & New Testaments and the Gospels)

>but we will follow the bible when it suits us, which we'll pass down as tradition
Bitch, we compiled the canon of the Bible.

Like? If you say "worshipping saints and statues" I'm bringing out Polycarp and both the Ark and the Nehushtan.

>but we'll claim we follow it and only to the point where we obsess more about Mary than Jesus
Pic related.
>>
>>857316
>>857318
>>857332

We could go into the finer details of both religions, but my original point still stands: both of them suffer from basically the exact same flaws: inconsistency and a habit of making shit up to suit their own needs.
>>
>>856563
Notice how catholics caused a schism TWICE with the orthodox and then the protestants again. Its almost like catholics are a bunch of power hungry whores and cant seem to realise the fact.
>>
>>857345
The Great East/West Schism was mutual retard.
>>
>>857345
>Protestants
>Schism
No schism implies that Catholics think Protestantism holds some form of legitimacy
To us you're just heretics
>>
>>857368
What's the Catholic view of Protestants in the afterlife?
>>
>>856551

I don't want to speak for /his/, but my own thoughts on this (as someone who's in no way religious) are that Catholic theology is way more interesting and in depth than Protestant theology. Of course, it's only fair to add that Catholicism is way older than Protestantism, so it makes sense that the theology will be way more in depth. And I want to add that Protestant theologians like Luther and Calvin were serious theologians. But once Protestantism got under way, I just think that deep interest in theological issues just kind of evaporated--or at least, the shift in interest isn't one that I find interesting myself.

Catholic theologians--or certain Jesuit ones at any rate--have always seemed totally willing to look at potential inconsistencies and contradictions squarely in the eye and to try to deal with them. So many Protestant theologians seem to me to have wanted to sidestep the difficult questions.

Also--and I know that American evangelicals are only a very specific breed of Protestants--evangelicals really fucked up theology. They totally threw out any of the interesting bits that there are in theology, and come across as intellectually lazy. Given the noise that the news makes about this brand of Protestant, I think they just happen to occupy a large space in the collective imagination, so they come to be the shorthand (wrongly) for Protestants; just as, now with Pope Francis and his quick trip to the US and Mexico, and the whole thing with Donaldus Trumpington, he's become the symbol for Catholicism. It's not fair, but that might be one explanation for why /his/ feels as it does.
>>
>>857371
They aren't guarenteed to be damned (really, no one is as we don't know how God judges souls) they just made getting salvation harder on themselves.
>>
>>857371
Same as anyone outside the Church
We can't know for certain, but they're in a far worse position to be saved than Catholics.
>>
>>856580
>>857372
I'm not Christian, but I think people don't realize that Evangelicalism actually does make up a TON of the Protestant population (at least in the US). Add them together with Southern Bapists (who are arguably, even more intellectually lazy), and that's like 90% of Protestants.
>>
>>857376
>>857380
So they're basically non-Christian?
>>
>>857385
Depending on how you define "Christian" I'd say exactly that. I define a Christian as being someone who follows the faith taught by Jesus Christ and spread by the apostles.
Christ taught one faith, one truth, and founded one Church. That faith is the Catholic faith and anything else is not of Christ and can't be called Christian. If you define it some other way though they could fit probably
>>
>>857385
There better off than non-Christians, but they still aren't as good as they could be.

As I see it:
Catholics are a Honda Accord.
Orthodox are a Honda Civic.
Prots are a Segway.
Non-Christians are a Pogo stick.
>>
File: Aleksandr_Fridman.png (150 KB, 400x597) Image search: [Google]
Aleksandr_Fridman.png
150 KB, 400x597
>>857318
>Big Bang began with a Catholic priest

A communist Jew actually

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Friedmann

Aristotle was rediscovered as a result of the crusades and became the foundation of Scholastic education provided by the church.

The church used Aristotle to support the authority of the church and there was a huge backlash to this and the Inquisition.
>>
>>857407
>the Inquisition was bad meme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18EderfKDOM
>>
>>857397
Consider this:
There was never a single faith
The early church was divided into regional factions with slightly different beliefs.
Once Christianity got legalized they started arguing over which ones were heretics.
>>
>>857392
>Jesus founded catholism
Ahaha oh wow.
>>
>>857407
>Jew
>Friedmann was baptized into the Russian Orthodox Church as an infant, and lived much of his life in Saint Petersburg.

Kek
>>
>>857318

>using the Lemaitre meme

He also was very clear about the big bang having no theological implications. Also, it would have remaining nothing more than a theory without Penzias and Wilson
>>
>>857409
The Church censored any trace of intellectual activity that went against the Catholic creed, and that lead Spain which had been a military and economic superpower to an incredible scientific basketcase and, therefore, economical backwater.

That didn't happen in Protestant countries or the ones with less ecclesiastic control, like the Britain, the Netherlands, the German States,USA
>>
>>856551
tl;dr: it's a memecult
>>
>>857384
That's basically unique to the US(and maybe the rest of Americas, not sure). Here in Europe, 90+% of protestants are moderate lutherans or anglicans most of whom only belong to the church out of habit and because it's a tradition.
>>
Because it is a fraud, and Luther a conman
>>
>>857729
>implying he wasn't sincere

t. atheist
>>
>>857734
neurotic you mean
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.