[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was mythology ever meant to be simply entertaining as well as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Zeus.jpg (142 KB, 516x660) Image search: [Google]
Zeus.jpg
142 KB, 516x660
Was mythology ever meant to be simply entertaining as well as spiritual?
>>
Was mythology ever meant? You can compare it to our memes that kind of just exist without much meaning attached.
>>
yeah why the fuck do you think greek and nordic myths are fantastic stories?
>>
Poetry, prose and art on the subject are entertaining and engaging as well, of course.
>>
>>855408

Almost related, but history in antiquity was considered OK to make it entertaining, ironically.
>>
File: 1396141814850.jpg (37 KB, 396x388) Image search: [Google]
1396141814850.jpg
37 KB, 396x388
>>855424
memes exist to entertain as well as convey emotion and intent.

Imagine how different the tone of this post would be if I had used a smug or raging Pepe instead.
>>
>>855424
Was Mythology ever?
>>
File: Pepe Cozy.png (167 KB, 636x426) Image search: [Google]
Pepe Cozy.png
167 KB, 636x426
>>856218

tfw everyone can transfer actual human feelings through the internet via the use of memes

4chan discovered this before the rest of the world and look what happens
>>
I'm pretty sure it was meant to entertain people and somewhere down the line they started to take it seriously.
>>
File: 1449014774782.jpg (153 KB, 1114x659) Image search: [Google]
1449014774782.jpg
153 KB, 1114x659
>>857645
In the future, there will be digital states.
We will be Mongols.
>>
Myth has lot of aspects and its much more important in human history and culture than one thinks.
Myths probably do start as a collection of tales meant to entertain but very soon they rise above of pure storytelling and become more.

Myth precedes the social cohesive forces of religion and the uniting face of nationalism, myth is a guide to living, myth is an expression of a peoples cultural and knowledge.

It is always highly symbolic and I doubt even ancients took most of it as real events, it was not meant to be so.
>>
>>855408
If you look at how intricate Greek mythology was, and how deeply it affected the original Greek philosophers and their culture in general, then yeah, it's pretty obvious that it was meant to be entertaining and spiritual.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.