[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever been to Egypt? Are you allowed to climb the pyramids
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17
File: Pyramide_Djoser.jpg (69 KB, 1153x768) Image search: [Google]
Pyramide_Djoser.jpg
69 KB, 1153x768
Anyone ever been to Egypt?

Are you allowed to climb the pyramids and if not then why?

What about stealing a ~5000 year old piece of stone?
>>
Just pick up any damn rock
>>
>>854346
No, you are not allowed. Because they are world heritage sites, dumbass.
Having said that, there is something called Baksheesh which you may find useful. If you do climb one, be respectful.
>>
Was not impressed. The valley of kings is much more supreme.
>>
File: 0_7df4c_dfd0a928_orig.jpg (235 KB, 1024x661) Image search: [Google]
0_7df4c_dfd0a928_orig.jpg
235 KB, 1024x661
>>854444
This is not true, you can climb literally any pyramid without having to pay for it at all.

I wrote about it here http://ontheroofs.com/cairo/
>>
>be uncultured nigger
>make a thread on /his/

The story of OP.
>>
Enjoy getting locked up for years, you dumb fucking brain dead retards.

Fuck, I hate vandals and people with no respect for the world heritage.
>>
>>854346
>What about stealing a ~5000 year old piece of stone?

Muslims beat you up to it.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/04/the-pyramids-of-giza-were-originally-white/
>>
>>854346
It is called vandalism, every step you make on those "~5000 year old" stones fucks it up even further.

If everyone was allowed to do that then there'd be no pyramids left today.

You're no better than ISIS if you do that.
>>
>>854494
>the-pyramids-of-giza-were-originally-white
And you people make fun of blacks for being wewuz.
>>
>>854467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgJL5v1pypA

I went up the great pyramid to watch the 1st Jan sunrise back in 1981. Had to pay baksheesh even in the middle of the night in the middle of winter.
The site guards really don't take kindly to people going up them!
>>
>>854494
>casing stones
wow, so this means there wasn't a way to climb on them in their early days
>>
>>854481
Dw, 4channers are so hopelessly incompetent, they'll probably get lost and starve halfway there before fucking off.
>>
>>854471
>>854444
>>854481
I don't fucking get it, why is it such a big deal to climb on the pyramid? It's not like you are hurting anyone.
>>
>>854510
1 person climbs pyramid=no big deal
100,000 tourists per year climb it=not much left.
>>
It's one of my life goals to climb the Great Pyramid, but that is simply not achievable.
>>
>>854467
Please tell me those inscriptions are not people literally writing their names on the stone.
>>
>>854526
I doubt so many people would have the stamina to climb the pyramid.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuO_uCEBLh4
>>
>>854534
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/27/travel/china-egypt/
>>
>>854534
Afraid so...
>>
>>854534
Over the years, people have stolen the casing stones, written their names on the walls inside in candle smoke (sometimes over the top of Hieroglyphs and carvings in the case of the temples), stolen and broken off bits to take home as souvenirs, and even blown up bits of them with dynamite to get into secret passages.
In 3,000 years future historians will be convinced they were built by a guy named Kilroy.
>>854540
Not just stamina. I was still a teen when I went up and in the army. It was fucking hard work. It's not like going upstairs, those blocks are big, so it's more like climbing onto a low wall a thousand times. It's also dangerous in winter in the dark, because the stone is cold and your hands get numb. If you fall...I shudder to think.
But I was young and cocky. We all know how that is (like a twat, I left my camera behind. New years eve and a bit drunk and giddy with doing naughty things, I guess).
>>
>>854534
>Once the top had been reached most visitors found it necessary to record their accomplishment for posterity by carving their name or initials into the stone (all the while keeping at bay the vendors of spurious antiquities who were present in just as great numbers at the summit as they were around the base of the Pyramid). This was a long-established practice and as far back as 1840, Usborne’s guide to Egypt was complaining that the summit of the Great Pyramid was so covered with graffiti that it was “difficult for the newcomer to find a place free in which to write their own name”.
>>
>mfw my grampa took a brick from macchu pichu and i cant be more happy to have it
>would climb the pyramids given the chance
>>
>>854467
This is truely fucking disrespectul. Fucking slavs. How dare you climb on the pyramids you fucking slav german fuck. What would you say if I walked in and climbed on the best architecture in slav history? probably nothing ,y ou'd just ask why I went to the roof of your fucking commie block, fucking slav shit, you are just angry that your people never made anything that impressed the world. 40,000,000 tourists visit this pyramid every year and it is because it is HISTORY. Yes Egypt is a proud country with amazing history and you are trapling over it, slav fuck.

cleopatra is not a fucking frozen grey snow covered piss covered crime covered slav sidewalk to be stepped on by fucking slavs
Ramesses is not a fucking climbing frame for your dirty russian feet and he isnt a fucking abanodned park for you to shoot your krokodil in

Tutankhamen was Pharoah when he was nine years old, the 30% of slavs who reach nine cannot imagine that accomplishment, only Egyptians are that accomplsihed, when slavs reach the age of nine they get excited that they had a birthday in the middle of the siege of stalingrad then they go and get shot by some nazis and die in a frozen pile with their worthless slav fucking friends.

Every brick on this pyramid is worth more than 1,000,000 russians. when russians see our sights they are amazed, they see the sphinx and think his nose fell off from krokodil, fucking russian scum must ruin everything. maybe next time I go to europe I will find a club and do the 'dance like an egyptian' and a russian woman will climb all over me as you obviously cant help it.
>>
>>854600
t. Nenkhsekhmet
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 394x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 394x450
>desecration and grafitti are fairly recent phenomena created by the last few disrespectful generations.

people started writing on the pyramids right away, even as they were being built, even by the people that were building them since teams of people helped create massive structures. construction workers do the same thing today and usually leave their mark on the building they are constructing, usually somewhere unnoticed in the internal structure. its basic human behavior.
>>
>>854600
Can't tell if copypasta or hilariously salty
>>
the pyramids themselves have a finite lifespan anyway just due to wind erosion, acid rain (not very frequent but still, climate could change in 200 or 2000 years), and eventual earthquakes.

so why cares?
>>
>>854471
Literally millions have probably done that for the last 4,500 years, get over yourself. Some people have probably even banged up there, you just cannot even imagine how old those are.
>>
File: black_man_crying-520x245.jpg (17 KB, 520x245) Image search: [Google]
black_man_crying-520x245.jpg
17 KB, 520x245
IMAHOTEP BUILT THIS
FOR KANGZ AN SHIET
>>
File: 1440680731276.jpg (66 KB, 477x324) Image search: [Google]
1440680731276.jpg
66 KB, 477x324
>>854754
>>854749
>lol XD just stones #YOLO #WEED MAN!
>>
>>854749
Hey your face has a finite lifespan anyway due do rot after death, aging ect, So you won't mind me pummeling it to a bloody pulp.
It won't last forever anyway so why cares?
>>
>>854719
>even as they were being built, even by the people that were building them since teams of people helped create massive structures
source please:
>>
I still can't believe that pyramids are 5000 years old and that there were people back then making that shit and worshiping other people pretending to be gods.
>>
>>854346
that rock in your back yard might be even older
>>
File: 163.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
163.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
>>854850
While purpose of Pyramids for us is still misty, building pyramids was long term project which made folk employed and getting wage.
From point of view of ancients, the modern religions are dead now. Look, Bible was finished ~1700 years ago, Quran was finished ~1500 years ago. For ancient folks were not enough faith in God, they are wished know the will and ukases of God everyday and follow them.
>>
>>854969
>ukases

had to look this up tbqh
>>
In later years, plenty of other people blew holes in pyramids with dynamite, gouged tunnels in them, used the Sphinx for target practice, and committed other sorts of vandalism, sometimes in the name of science rather than greed.
>>
>>855017
well of course if you're doing it for knowledge it's justified
>>
>>854346
You aren't allowed to but if you bribe your guide anything is possible.
>>
>>854346
>Anyone ever been to Egypt?
Here.
>Are you allowed to climb the pyramids and if not then why?
Why climb when you can get inside? It's quite cramped though.
>>
>>854826
It's not graffiti, but the Sutton Hoo burial builders certainly did some pranks by leaving their shovel there.
>>
>>854534
Yes they are.

Like it or not the Pyramids aren't frozen in time. History is always happening and in a thousand years those inscriptions will be regarded as part of the pyramids and their history just as the hieroglyphs themselves.

>>854600
>they see the sphinx and think his nose fell off from krokodil
top kek mate this is some good shit
>>
File: 1429570367105.jpg (195 KB, 500x623) Image search: [Google]
1429570367105.jpg
195 KB, 500x623
>>854576
>all the while keeping at bay the vendors of spurious antiquities who were present in just as great numbers at the summit as they were around the base of the Pyramid
>>
>>854574
>In 3,000 years future historians will be convinced they were built by a guy named Kilroy.

That's going to make for some pretty funny Art History arguments.
>>
>>854346
Many people have climbed the pyramids in the past and they are still there, intact, and in one piece.

I don't see why it's such a big deal if someone does it.

If those sand niggers truly care about the pyramids, they should retrieve those casing stones they stole ages ago.
>>
File: 18iojvfh3vo2mjpg.jpg (139 KB, 1015x683) Image search: [Google]
18iojvfh3vo2mjpg.jpg
139 KB, 1015x683
Pictures like this and having the personal experience of that climb are worth the damage. Even if we have to let everyone climb and increase the damage caused.
>>
>>854600
this post is hilarious if made by a real egyptian person

you are a fucking arab, you have nothing to do with the ancient egyptians, you sand nigger piece of shit
>>
>>857917
or just build an aluminum staircase to the top opposite the city and painted the same color as the pyramids and direct tourists there
>>
Nothing is permanent. Why deprive someone from a unique experience when it harms no one? No one alive today will ever experience any harm from having tourists climb that pyramid. Remember, the Great Pyramid is over 4500 years old. If it falls apart in 500 years because we let people enjoy it and experience what was possible back in 2500 BC, I'd say we got our money's worth for it.

For people that will never go to Egypt, pictures of pyramids that USED TO exist are just as good as pictures of pyramids that DO exist. And for the people that actually go to Egypt to see and climb them, they are getting an experience that they will never be able to duplicate. Essentially, I'd rather we let people clamber on the Great Pyramid like its a jungle gym than have it stand there forever.

We are leaving litter all over Mt. Everest with every climb (same with every high altitude climb). When we go rock climbing in Nat'l Parks we are actively damaging the rock face. When we go sport fishing we are taking pollution expelling boats out into the ocean just so we can kill a trophy. We know that eventually Mt. Everest will be covered with used oxygen tanks, axes, radios, bodies, tents, etc. We still think its worth the experience.

You have 85 or so years on this planet. Nothing else is guaranteed. I'm going to give a shit about myself maybe my children and grandchildren. After that, it REALLY IS someone else's responsibility.

Egypt probably gets a TON of tourism money from having the pyramids intact (cynical, I know). But this isn't a situation like the Environment where we have to preserve it for our future generations. If the Pyramids collapse because we let too many tour groups climb to the top, the world will just keep on spinning.

I suppose I just think that "preservation for preservation's sake" is a waste. Especially when the privilege to climb the Pyramid can be bought. They let Hayden Christensen film on top of the Great Pyramid for the movie Jumper. Not exactly "high art"
>>
>>854346

I seriously doubt that any structure in Egypt is more than 1000 years old.
>>
>>854499
>I went up the great pyramid to watch the 1st Jan sunrise back in 1981
Get out grandpa
>>
>>857942
Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>857951
No. Are you?
>>
>>857935
>Nothing is permanent. Why deprive someone from a unique experience when it harms no one? No one alive today will ever experience any harm from having tourists climb that pyramid. Remember, the Great Pyramid is over 4500 years old. If it falls apart in 500 years because we let people enjoy it and experience what was possible back in 2500 BC, I'd say we got our money's worth for it.

And what of the people born 500 years later whom you will deprive of the experience of seeing the Pyramids firsthand?

>For people that will never go to Egypt, pictures of pyramids that USED TO exist are just as good as pictures of pyramids that DO exist. And for the people that actually go to Egypt to see and climb them, they are getting an experience that they will never be able to duplicate. Essentially, I'd rather we let people clamber on the Great Pyramid like its a jungle gym than have it stand there forever.

And what of future generations who wish to see the Pyramids firsthand just as we can?

>We are leaving litter all over Mt. Everest with every climb (same with every high altitude climb). When we go rock climbing in Nat'l Parks we are actively damaging the rock face. When we go sport fishing we are taking pollution expelling boats out into the ocean just so we can kill a trophy. We know that eventually Mt. Everest will be covered with used oxygen tanks, axes, radios, bodies, tents, etc. We still think its worth the experience.
Are you seriously comparing massive natural structures to a relatively small manmade one? Mt Everest is fucking huge and only a small number of people have ever successfully climbed it - it would take a million years of constant climbing by humans for any change to be noticed - and those changes would be offset why natural erosion. That is not comparable to a Pyramid which is essentially just a big staircase that anyone with enough endurance can climb, and which could disappear in just a few centuries of constant use.
>>
>>854496
whoa, dude..
why don't we just relax and turn on the radio?
>>
>>857994
Yes, you are, the pyramids are over 4,500 years old, many temples are over 3,500 years old too, the mastaba that are even older than the pyramids and some are over 5000 years old
>>
File: egypt.jpg (43 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
43 KB, 604x453
Got to travel there as a kid, you're technically not allowed and I admit they've almost certainly tightened security since I was last there 11 years ago--especially with recent events--but I was able to climb up on the first row of them and get a picture; remember being surprised at just how massive the blocks were.(Couldn't find the picture quickly scanning through my sisters' Facebooks so here's one at the Temple of Hatshepsut)

Punishment for stealing is a huge fine, remember seeing tons of warnings about it at different temples. Hell, considering today's political climate, they may chop your fucking head off.
>>
>>858347
>it would take a million years of constant climbing by humans for any change to be noticed
Same can be said about pyramids.
>>
>>857922
Butthurt much you fucking slavshit?
>>
>>854600
>Tutankhamen was Pharoah when he was nine years old, the 30% of slavs who reach nine cannot imagine that accomplishment
What's with the other 70%?
>>
>>858400
id bang your sister bruh
>>
>>858400
Post pics of your sis please
>>
>>854346
If you want to climb pyramids, why not go to Mexico? Hell, they'll even let you inside their pyramids.
>>
>>859221
None of the Mexican pyramids are 5000 years old.
>>
>>859257
...So?
>>
>>859283
So no one wants to visit your fucked up country for your newfag pyrashits you dimwit.
>>
File: southdoor.jpg (12 KB, 400x327) Image search: [Google]
southdoor.jpg
12 KB, 400x327
What are they hiding from us there?
>>
>>859257
>>859283
>>859292
Tikal is worth it (not Mexico, but still). We are talking about fucking Yavin 4, alright?
>>
>>859292
Rude. I think Mexican pyramids are worth visiting too. Different strokes for different folks.
>>
File: t. alberto.png (96 KB, 265x258) Image search: [Google]
t. alberto.png
96 KB, 265x258
>>859311
>>
>>859311
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBEPVyPRYuU
>>
>>859415
Blacks kangz?
>>
>>854587
That human instinct of having to get piece/destroy everything older than yourself is ruining everything.

>In Finland we dragged ww2 plane out of lake, that was almost in perfect condition.
>It is left outside for show, so that everyone can admire and take pics of it.
>Every single tourist had to take his piece of fucking alumin of real war plane.
>Everyone are surprised when the plane has turned into pile of garbage after 2 years.
>>
File: luxorHotel.jpg (30 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
luxorHotel.jpg
30 KB, 450x338
>>857934
>Build repilca pyramids with original materials but with modern construction techniques
>Send dumb tourists to go vandalize fake tourist pyramid and take selfies while real pyramids are preserved.

Why haven't they already done this?
>>
>>854600
It all makes sense now. Butthurt Egyptians let ISIS blow up that Russian airliner in order to scare away shitty slav tourists
>>
>>855760
Hah, that's hilarious.

Egyptian joke
>How do you entertain a bored pharaoh?

>You sail a boatload of young women dressed only in fishing nets down the Nile and urge the pharaoh to go catch a fish
>>
>>854969
>>854969

>person who knows when the oldest torah was actually written down

>online
>>
File: 1426442732156.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1426442732156.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>>855987
>History is always happening and in a thousand years those inscriptions will be regarded as part of the pyramids and their history just as the hieroglyphs themselves.
>my stupid name will be history one day, you just have to write it on the pyramids

kek
>>
>>859950
Any links on this?

Why not put that bitch into a museum...
>>
>>859988
I don't get it, explain?
>>
>>859863
That's cool, I have to start waching documents again.

Reminds me of rooms/tunnels explored By robots in mesoamerica. I remember seeing an photo taken with robot, of an wall with actually painted mesoamerican art. They were afraid to let humans inside incase the art would get destroyed, By humidy/bacterians.
Does anyoen else remember? Pics/info?

>>860002
It was one of those things that you hear from older people. Happened in 60-70s and not likely that I could find any link..much less in english.

Basically it was far too late to put it into museum at that point, when the people interested of saving it heard of the plane.
>>
>>859135
Famine and fetal alcohol syndrome.
>>
>>860134
Just replying for myself so no one will be left wondering.
And answear after googling around was, maya murals that somehow survived in humid, no robots inculed in finding them.
Must have mixed few articles in my head.

>>854346
>Anyone ever been to Egypt?
I visited around 2000 I think.

Obliviously climbing, was not allowed, thread already is full of that.

I could pick up older stone from my front yard?
And I would not end in jail in muslim country.

As other Anon said going inside them was much more interesting, although I went only inside the smallest one...because it had the shortest queue.
Would love to go again, nothing beats seeing and experiecing it yourself.

The sad thing is that all the art in tombs is being slowly destroyed, By humidy from peoples breathing...good thing is that egyptians are actually working to preserved everything with 3D scanning.
>>
File: rocket.jpg (27 KB, 451x338) Image search: [Google]
rocket.jpg
27 KB, 451x338
>>859141
>>859150
Don't know what else I should have expected from 4chan
>>
>>854534
It's nothing recent
I read in accounts from French soldiers who were in Egypt with Napoleon in 1799 that they did that as well
>>
File: start packing.jpg (37 KB, 191x226) Image search: [Google]
start packing.jpg
37 KB, 191x226
>5000 year old
>>
>>861047
They could be even 12,000 years old according to the Orion correlation theory.
>>
>>862015
They could be over a billion years old.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_Egypt
>>
>>862018
only if the dinosaurs built them :^)

homo sapiens didn't exist back then...
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.