[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do anyone here have any philoshper who's books are easily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: WrjENF1448748952.png (1 MB, 819x461) Image search: [Google]
WrjENF1448748952.png
1 MB, 819x461
do anyone here have any philoshper who's books are easily readable
>>
>>854208
Hoe de jonge vangst kanker

Auteur: Pim Fortuyn
>>
Most Greeks.

Philosophy as a way of getting tenure by writing gibberish is a modern phenomenon.
>>
>>854208
A lot of contemporary analytical philosophers are fairly easy to read. Any specific subject you're interested in? Or are you after some sort of introduction book?
>>
Spinoza, Wittgenstein
>>
>>854208
Dostoyevsky if you consider him a philosopher
>>
>>854216
>Pim Fortuyn
>Filosoof
Kies er een
>>
>>854224
>Philosophy as a way of getting tenure by writing gibberish is a modern phenomenon.
Name five who have. I'll grant you Peter Singer to start.
>>
File: 1447538537665.jpg (309 KB, 1584x1089) Image search: [Google]
1447538537665.jpg
309 KB, 1584x1089
Hegel :^)
>>
I found the following VERY easy to read
>Decartes
>Hume
>the Greeks in general

Kant is amazingly difficult, at least for me
but his philosophy is deeper than most

philosophers who can't put things in a normal way are just doing mental masturbation

>>854208
>Siv Jensen
ugh
>>
>>854208

Any book written by a philosopher is hard if you're not familiar with the substance.
>>
John Stuart Mill
>>
AYN RAND
>>
>>854208
Try Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
>>
You shouldn't be look for philosophy that's easy to read, you should look for that which is hard to accept.
>>
>>855290

This may sound good, but if you think about it the biggest bullshit you'll ever read is the hardest to accept.
>>
Bertrand Russell
>>
>>854224
>Most Greeks.

Aristotle is not easy reading, especially Metaphysics.
>>
>>855303
True, but understanding how the writer came to that bullshit is enlightening in itself.

Plus, anything against your own viewpoint will seem like bullshit at first, so it's not best stop at that.
>>
File: 866432.jpg (20 KB, 400x274) Image search: [Google]
866432.jpg
20 KB, 400x274
RIDE
>>
>>854208

The term 'easily readable' makes me think you are looking for shortcuts to knowledge. In this case, I would suggest the Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. Plato, in that it's written as dialogs, is easy and entertaining enough to read.

If, you however, desire something more enjoyable to read, with little depth to the semantics applied, George Santayana is artful.

I find that the easiest for myself to understand was Wittgenstein, but only due to the means of presentation. From there, philosophy became much more an abstract practice of semantics, than a concision based art form; and the practice of philosophy became easier. If the goal was to fast-track philosophy and the burdensome stance that is taken between grasping the concepts therein.
>>
Sam Harris
>>
>>854208
>>
>>855290
WOAH
>>
>>854208
Fromm is fairly easy on top of my mind
>>
Relative to what came after him (I'm looking at you Germans), Plato.
>>
>>855244
>>856322

Stop.
>>
>>854208
This OP >>856352

It's only 120 pages, and it's an easy read.
>>
>>854208
Plato is a good read.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.