[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you could pick one historic empire to say and bring the future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: gunpowder muslims.jpg (52 KB, 512x354) Image search: [Google]
gunpowder muslims.jpg
52 KB, 512x354
If you could pick one historic empire to say and bring the future what would it be and why. I would save the ottomans because their collapse destabilized the rest of Europe and in many ways its collapse was responsible for world war 1 which I believe to be the greatest catastrophe of the modern era. I believe that it would be worth the sacrifice of few Balkan nationalist to keep western Europe from destroying itself.
>>
Angry Serbs incoming.
>>
>>85218

would you let the Ottomans have nukes?
>>
File: image.gif (136 KB, 630x301) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
136 KB, 630x301
>Hellenic/ Macedonian

Why?

Brought a official language to most of Greece and the Middle East.

Alexander was a cool guy, too bad the common cold was cooler

Allowed many cultures to remain the same, but just added the best parts of Greek ideals in with them

Built great cities

>library of Alexandria
>>
>>85218
Do you mean save?

And would that empire survive at it's peak strength?
>>
The Third World would be immensely better off today if the British Empire still administered. At the very least India wouldn't have oxen as a part of its nuclear program.
>>
RULEBRITANNIA

Because international stability, a multipolar world, and the advancement of various peoples through a (non-impotent) Commonwealth would probably be better than the US-Russia pissing contest we have now, while also having avoided most of that nasty Cold War proxy-battle business. Also, tea.
>>
Eastern Roman Empire. Fuck the haters.
>>
>>85218
inb4 nazi germany
>>
>>85270
No if it could stabilize itself with its 1800s or 1850s borders that could work. I don't think they needed to be a world power but losing all control over the Balkans destabilized Europe.
>>
>>85218
austro hungarian empire.

It would have detered the nazi and soviet expansion, and eastern europe would be way less shit
>>
>>85392
I always wondered what would happen if the Habsburg empire had federalized.
>>
>>85392
Always had a soft spot for any empire that could make the Balkans not completely shitty. Also its breakup economically killed the area.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-Hungary#Economy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria-Hungary#Consequences
>>
>>85218

>in many ways its collapse was responsible for world war 1 which I believe to be the greatest catastrophe of the modern era

Your stupid is showing OP. The Ottoman empire hadn't collapsed before the war.
>>
>>85218
>If you could pick one historic empire to say and bring the future what would it be and why.
Third Reich

You know why.
>>
>>85669
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sick_man_of_Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I#The_Balkan_Wars_1912-13_-_Serbian_and_Russian_Power_Grows

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosnian_crisis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

I know Wikipedia is not the best source, but read a little before you talk. The ottomans didn't collapse in 1920 they collapsed over a long period of time starting as far back as the begining of the 18th century if you want to push it, and it left a power vacuum in Europe that destabilized the relations in Europe. It didn't cause WW1 but it did make the situation much worse.
>>
>>85302
A great answer desu.
>>
British or French.
>>
>>85333
Well I wouldn't pick the Ottomans, I was thinking of the Inca Empire. Not sure how that scenario would play out.
>>
File: 04.jpg (66 KB, 480x638) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
66 KB, 480x638
>>85302
Nah most historians have a hard on for the Byzantines their combination of Christain, Greek, Roman, and Eastern Cultures is unique and quite intersting. Plus they had the best horse aramor >>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_battle_tactics#Kataphraktoi
>>
>>85218

>its collapse was responsible for world war 1

It didn't collapse till after world war 1 retard
>>
>>85807

>they collapsed over a long period of time

Learn how to use actual words.

You don't collapse over a long period of time. They declined for a long period of time then collapsed
>>
>>85262
This.
Of course I'll make them see the light of God first.

>>85254
Sure, the Ottoman elites were pretty rational bunch

>>85302
Barbarised Hellenes! For shame
>>
File: Ibn Saud.jpg (10 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
Ibn Saud.jpg
10 KB, 274x184
>>85218
I'd save the Ottomans too just to prevent that ABOOGABOOGA Arab shit and Saudi Arabia from existing
>>
File: KaisertumOsterreich.png (213 KB, 800x593) Image search: [Google]
KaisertumOsterreich.png
213 KB, 800x593
Kaiserthum Oesterreich. Brought culture and infrastructure to half of Europe. Kaiser caring about his people. Access to Mediterranean sea. Stability. Able to defend itself.
>>
>>85688
because you're a /pol/tard?
>>
>>88633
I'm pretty sure they also got Bosnia from the Ottomans in 1878, wonder why it isn't shown here.
>>
>>88633
>>89947
oh shit nvm, the map is Austrian Empire not Austro-Hungary.
>>
File: Repubblica_di_Venezia[1].png (118 KB, 1000x635) Image search: [Google]
Repubblica_di_Venezia[1].png
118 KB, 1000x635
Not big enough to qualify as an empire, but still what I would choose. Italy needs to be balkanized again, and rejoined in nomthing closer than a loose political alliance like the Lega Italica.
>>
>>85218
The ottomans peaked at the 15th-16th century and were in gradual decline since then. There was no scenario in which all of the people they occupied just continued to sit quietly under their crumbling stagnant rule. Both the arabs and the balkans hated them.
>>
>>85218
The Byzantines, for the same reasons as above, but with a much better civilization.

Also assuming the populations of the middle east would be representatives of the people of say 500AD, so a lot of Greek speaking Christians, a large Coptic population in Egypt. Also non-genocided Armenians.

I'd be good times.
>>
File: Mughal_Historical_Map.png (996 KB, 800x854) Image search: [Google]
Mughal_Historical_Map.png
996 KB, 800x854
I'd pick the Mughals, or perhaps the Marathas. Id tell them to pull a Japan and properly adapt all the European tech which they seemed to ignore (except gunpowder). The reason being, it would have preserved India from being looted and would have prevented a lot of poverty and human misery in the present.
>>
>>92505
>Muslim India
>>
>>85218
imagine Ottoman Empire as a potential EU member
>>
>>92505
>would have prevented a lot of poverty and human misery in the present
When are you going to stop using this as an excuse for the failures of your people and country?
>>
>>85254
I wouldn't let Pakis, Hindus or Jews have nukes but here we are.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.