[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please explain why each of these little shits came into existance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
Please explain why each of these little shits came into existance and why exactly they're not annexed by their neighbors.
>>
> they're not annexed by their neighbors

Literally what would be the point
>>
>>850166
They're meme states. They aren't annexed because they're offshore tax heavens.
>>
>>850173
They look ugly on maps and make the job of those who are in charge of writing map keys a little bit harder.
There would be literally no downside to annexing them.
Nobody would even care.
99.9% of the world population barely knows they exist.
They're not members of the EU, NATO or anything of the like.
With a small company of 100 soldiers you could take each of those countries several times over.
They're fucking useless and their borders disgust me.
>>
File: autism speaks.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
autism speaks.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>850190
>annexing a country because the map looks ugly
>>
>>850193
They're fucking irrelevant.
Nothing of value would be lost.
Their existance does not add anything of value to the world.
I bet each the leaders of Spain, France, Italy and Switzerland could well just pay a visit to the bordering micronations and say "sup, wanna unify? if you don't we're invading lmao" and they'd have to immediatly agree. After the visit, they would shake hands in a public announcement saying said micronation was absorbed and everything would be fine.

Of course things are very different to the Holy See but it at the very least would work for Andorra and San Marino.

>>850176
They could become tax heavens within the own country.
>>
Vatican is easy. It's so Papal authority is not infringed by the purely material concerns of an efficient state.
The rest began to exist generally due to some ancient land grant which then resisted conquest by playing the larger neighbors against each other. The French want to invade Andorra? Spain come help please. Spain is now trying to take Andorra over? France come help please. Etc.
These micronations managed to exist because the effort needed to conquer them was excessive in exchange for generally minor benefits. Unlike WWII Poland, they're too small to both ally against because generally, there'd be only one major city that both sides want and will fight each other for control of.
It wasn't until relatively recently that most became incredibly rich due to being tax havens.
>>
>>850234
>They could become tax heavens within the own country.
That's not how tax evasion works.
>>
>>850234
>Their existance does not add anything of value to the world.

They exist as tax havens you stupid mongoloid Yank.
>>
>>850234
>Vatican
>Irrelevant
>>
>>850234
What would be the point of annexing? Gaining the equivalent of a village with 30k people, for literally what? Are you autistic?
>>
>>850166
Go back to your microtransaction ridden map painters, please.
>>
>>850279
they really want that magic elixer.
>>
French president is actually co-prince of Andorra, so they are more or less part of France. But it's historical reasons. No need to, era of annexing other countries (apart from Russia) seems to be over. Lebensraum isn't as important as trade.
>>
>>850312
but muh pretty borders
>>
>>850237
And we all know how immune papal authority has been to the concerns of states.
>>
>>850347
It's the thought that counts.
>eyo God we don't wanna trample on your authority but-
>>
>>850234
Those tiny countries turn into financial powerhouses which results in greater wealth for all around.
>>
>>850533
Most their wealth is illusion. It's not that they are actually producing anything. If they were part of a country, they'd be just another city.
>>
>>850234
You're one dumb, ill informed, autistic fucktard aint you?
>>
>>850614
>Wealth means industry
50s called, they want you back.
>>
>>850643
90s called, They want their “certain year called wanting its 'blank back' formula back.
>>
>>850643
Friedman please go
>>
>>850166
Microstates are survivors of premodern european ages which used to contain shitloads of these tiny entities.

Its uniquely European, you can't see microstates in blobtastic Asia for example (Sans Singapore I guess).
>>
>>850190
>>850234

autism lives
>>
>>850190
>>850234
>>850166
Kids, this is what happens when you play paradox games too much.
>>
>>850869
But I believe I'm right when I say you get less agressive expansion points when declaring war against a smaller nation.
Why add them to your sphere when you can vassalize+annex?
>>
>>850978
Because this isn't a videogame and France wouldn't benefit in any way by annexing Monaco.
>>
>>850667
What about Brunei or East Timor?
>>
>>850166
I've been to Liechtenstein. Whoever the border guard was I dealt with, he was a dick.

Fuck you, whoever you were.
>>
>>850999
Brunei used to be much bigger.

>East Timor

Meme state that broke away because muh opression, kind of like Kosovo. And it's hardly a microstate, they have like million and a half citizens, so on par with the Baltics at least.
>>
>>850190
>>850234
>Let's start a war that ends lives and uses up money just because annexing it would make the map and borders look better as per the opinion of an autist on a Tatar coal sketching forum
>>
>>851012
>Brunei used to be much bigger
Vatican City used to control the Papal States, but it's still a micronation
>>
>>850190
lol
this is why hitler wanted to conquer switzerland
>>
>>851069
Well Brunei has approximately 600 times bigger population than the Vatican.
>>
>>850166
My university has a bigger population than San Marino
>>
>>851908
>>
>>850978
>you get less agressive expansion points when declaring war against a smaller nation
>aggressive expanstion points
>points
No such fucking thing in the real world, only the terms of treaties.
>>
The Papal State is a catholic tradition that has been going strong since the end of the Western Roman Empire, why denounce it for the sake of making your map look better?
>>
>>850237

They're all, except the Vatican, remnants of medieval principalities that didn't paticipate in the process of nation building states for one reason or another.

Andorra was never some sort of buffer state, in fact the heads of state of Andorra were always until very recently the Bishop of Urgel and the King/President of France.
>>
>>850166
>annexing
>2016
something only russia and china could get away with
>>
File: le trashman.jpg (13 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
le trashman.jpg
13 KB, 250x250
>>851973
>He doesn't know about the aggression point counter at UN head quaters
>>
I've always wondered what it would be like to have been born in some small ass state like Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, or especially Malta. I bet it's fucking sweet, those people probably literally won the lottery on life.
>>
>>852143
Actually at least when it comes to Monaco, being born there doesn't really mean shit. It's wealthy as fuck not on its own but because extremely wealthy people move in to evade taxes.
>>
>>852143
>Malta
>win the lottery

Malta is about as wealthy as the wealthiest Eastern European states. It's a completely different league than Monaco.
>>
>>850190
>hay guise let's annex Vatican City since apparently nobody knows it exists
Mate do you uh... watch the news? Like, ever?
>>
>>850234
This is a brilliant plan OP. You should go to Germany and begin to orchestrate the beginnings of the Cartographic Wars of the 21st century, where NATO members can fight among themselves!
>>
>>852173
>99.9% of the world population barely knows they exist
>a small company of 100 soldiers could take each
>VATICAN CITY
holy shit this is why the internet should have an age limit
>>
>>850166
Because your enemy is a protectorate of that little shithole and will jump at the chance to fuck you over
>>
>>853074
It basically used to, before the eternal September.
>>
>>850234
>Their existance does not add anything of value to the world.
Just as your existence. Please kill yourself then.
>>
>>850312
So is Spanish bishop. The point is that Andorra is shared between them. That's how it came into existence.
>>
>>851908
why cant i stop laughing at this
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.