[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did XVIIIth century armies decide the color of their uniforms?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9
File: v1_x2_s02_ss03_01.jpg (231 KB, 492x585) Image search: [Google]
v1_x2_s02_ss03_01.jpg
231 KB, 492x585
How did XVIIIth century armies decide the color of their uniforms?

>Hey, the Brits are red, and Prussians are dark blue, so umm, we should go with white
>>
>>848443
Through subjectivity.
>>
File: wtb.jpg (286 KB, 927x722) Image search: [Google]
wtb.jpg
286 KB, 927x722
>>848443
Nah, the Bourbons made white their official color because they felt it was God's color or something
They even made France's national flag a plain white flag
>>
>>848443
Visibility was one - Bretty important in the smoke and dust of battle. Brits ran away with red because it was the cheapest bright dye.

State/Dynastic Colors- Swedes went with blue and yellow coz..their flag & king.

Unit markers- Cavalry often had different uniforms than infantry.
>>
File: 47.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
47.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>848458
>They even made France's national flag a plain white flag
Truly their strongest national tradition.
>>
>>848443
White was used by both France and Austria.

French Swiss Guard were red too.
>>
>>848480
And now the question - what would happen if France declared war on Austria in XVIIIth century? How would soldiers distinct each other on the battlefield?

Did such problem ever actually came up in history?
>>
>Hey, the Brits are red, and Prussians are dark blue, so umm, we should go with white
pretty much. you just needed bright color that doesn't mix with your rival's one easily since black powder weapons make that much smoke that you don't really see a thing in the battlefield.
>>
>>848471
It always tickles my sides that American soldiers would've surrendered even faster than the French if the Wehrmacht had ever set foot on the US.
>>
>>848458

Jean dĀ“Arc used a white flag instead of the traditional Oriflamme.
Bourbons used the white as their dynastic colour in their various realms, France Napoli, Spain...
>>
>>848485
I guess standards were pretty important. The Austrians and the French don't seem to have been too confused during the war of Austrian succession so I guess it worked out.
>>
>>848485
The invading army would've used their away kit ofcourse
>>
>>848516
A truly great post backed with facts and sources.
>>
>>849187
butthurt Southern Amerilardian detected, go hide in your Walmart while calling on your Nokia for "Daddy" even though you're 25 years old to beg him to bring the entire congregation of your local Southern Baptist Church to come help you shitpost, fag
>>
>>848485
Yes: the other guy is shooting at you.

And he has his country's flag.
>>
>>848443
Usually symbolism but the main reason was to make the formations distinguishable.
>>
>>849194
wew lad
>>
>>848516
t. Pierre
>>
>>848485
I keep reading that Swiss soldiers in the Napoleonic wars kitted out in red were often mistakenly fired upon by the French.
>>
>>848516
I kek'd
France was a second rate power by WW 2.
Nice try Jacques
>>
>>848994
underrated post.
>>
>>849194
Man, you're good at this
>>
>>848516
Britain would have fallen even faster than France if they shared a land border with Germany
But the US, I seriously doubt it...
>>
>>849441
>Britain would have fallen even faster than France if they shared a land border with Germany
>if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike

if the USA shared a land border with continental europe instead of being bracketed by two huge oceans and a friendly neighbour to the north then it would never have become a superpower in the first place

a similar argument could be made about the UK albeit on a smaller scale since the channel and the north sea are a lot easier to cross than either the atlantic or pacific oceans

HURRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>849441
If Britain had shared a land border with Germany, they'd presumably have invested beforehand in their land force.
Or in this hypothetical world did the British Isles just up and teleport to the mainland out of the blue one day?
>>
>>849461
>WWII tech
>beating an entire nation of citizens armed to the teeth
>>
>>848443
How do nations pick their national flower, animal, anthem, flag, anything?
>>
>>849638
>flower, animal
Medieval herbology of their ruling dynasty

>anthem
Some catchy XVIIIth-XIXth century patriotic song

>flag
Dumbed down former war banners
>>
>>849682
*Medieval heraldry, not herbology of course.
>>
>>849461
>England
>friendly neighbor to the north
>huge ocean separating it from Europe
hmm
>>
>>849194 Retort needs a bit of work.
>>
>>849197
>the other guy is shooting at you
What if he's one of yours who took you for an enemy?

>And he has his country's flag
Not all the troops wielded banners.
>>
>>849209
That may have happened but if it did it was a rare occurrence. Officers have spyglasses to see distant units.

Lines wouldn't mix in a battle so the distinction was easy to make between sides without any tools even needed. Then there's also intelligence, so you generally know the placement of units even outside of your vision.

>>848485
Similarly to lines not mixing it up, neither did the men in melee combat. There would always be a clear line between one unit and the other and it would be nearly impossible to cross it from one side to the other, so it wasn't really possible to mix.

Even if two lines wore literally the same uniforms and spoke the same language, it would only become relevant only in melee combat. And even then it would only matter if the melee combat was prolonged, meaning the lines became less organized and the engagement shifted back and forth several times. Only then would it matter. But melee combat didn't happen all that often, and when it did it rarely lasted longer than the first clash and the following retreat of one side. A charge was only the last resort and its goal was generally to force the enemy to retreat.

So yeah even in such a situation it wouldn't matter all that much. And as you can guess such a situation never happened.
>>
>>848994
Or the third kit.
>>
File: colour sergeant 37th.jpg (64 KB, 262x482) Image search: [Google]
colour sergeant 37th.jpg
64 KB, 262x482
Britain has always traditionally worn red because at the time of the formation of the New Model Army red cloth was the cheapest to manufacture.
(we were told at school it was because red didn't show the blood. That's a meme that needs to die)
>>
>>849194
Nah even the dumbest fucking rednecks are toting iphones these days. They use them to check sports scores and send pictures of fat ugly naked women to each other, or racist memes. I would know, I live and work in Mississippi
>>
Dynastic tradition & national flags.

Usually.
>>
>>849682
It wasn't an actual question. I was mocking OP.

But yeah you basically answered OPs question too.
>>
>>849563
There have been rebel uprisings within the us on numerous occasions. Turns out dumb fuck farmers, coal miners and racists don't fare well against trained professional soldiers.
>>
>>849802
I'm the OP, actually :^)

And while the answer for said questions were rather obvious, the answer about uniforms - not so much. Hence my question.
>>
>>849823
Well obviously it had to do with the things you mentioned and since the uniform didn't "evolve" into existence, but was designed such from the start, someone was the decision maker. So yeah he may have decided based on the colors of the flag, or on the national flower, or on the historical coat of arms used earlier, or on his gut feeling. It's not as if there was some system in place for picking such things.
>>
>>849694
>Scots
>Friendly
>>
>>849796
That's what I do and i'm not even american
>>
>>848471
The reason white flag became a symbol of surrender is because when you surrendered you would wave your enemy's flag. Guess what, during rule of Louis XIV, that happened a lot with white flag.
>>
>>848443
I don't know about colours but I am fairly certain the design was after Swedish Caroleans, wasn't it?
>>
>>848443
Whatever is the easiest and cheapest to produce, and also whatever looks most pimping

Try and tell me that if you were in charge of your military's uniforms in the 18th century that you wouldn't become a complete perfectionist whore and spend weeks trying to get the design to look the best
>>
>>849822
Give me one reason why i should take your post seriously
>>
>>848443
When Trump wins, all you faggots who use Roman numerals when referring to centuries are getting the death penalty.
>>
>>852240

I'll bet my shitty old rifle will surely stop a strategic bombing campaign of the countryside targeting the roads, factories, and houses of my loved ones!

On a more serious note though, the Wehrmacht taking the US would have been probably more exhausting considering the east and west coasts are filled with factories and people while in Russia it kind of just becomes wilderness past the Urals.
>>
File: 1451588792942.jpg (26 KB, 442x332) Image search: [Google]
1451588792942.jpg
26 KB, 442x332
>>852264
>>
>>852306
>I'll bet my shitty old rifle will surely stop a strategic bombing campaign of the countryside targeting the roads, factories, and houses of my loved ones!

Yeah, that's pretty much how it worked in Yugoslavia.
>>
>>848516
Butthurt frog detected.
>>
>>848516
Come on man, it's not hard to admit your country was a complete mess through the 20th century after the Great War
>>
>It's an "IF GERMANY HAD A LAND BORDER WITH YOU WE'D BE KANGZ RIGHT NOW!" thread
>>
>>852312

You mean Serbia? Even that didnt threaten the German occupation because their answer was just to kill Serbs whetever they could.
>>
File: Mr_Pink.jpg (23 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Mr_Pink.jpg
23 KB, 400x300
>>848443
>How did XVIIIth century armies decide the color of their uniforms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwWmRiS3G0Q
>>
>>849461
I'm sure your grandmother was a town bike, even without wheels.
>>
>>848458
>France's national flag a plain white flag
Why am I not surprise at this information ?
>>
>Red uniforms: England, Denmark Poland-Lithaunia. Ottoman?

>Blue uniforms: Prussia, Sweden.

>Green uniforms: Russia.

> White uniforms: France, Spain. Portugal?

Thoughst?
>>
>>853932
Shit forgot Austria. White as well
>>
>>853932
Kapikulu wore red. Some timar soldiers wore green, some sipahi wore different colors.
It's hard to tell ottoman uniforms as there were a cluster fuckton of uniforms
>>
It varied a lot though, even within the same armed forces

French marines wore blue uniforms (the same kind they gave to American rebels).

Spanish soldier could wear white, blue or yellow depending of units
Etc...
>>
>>853984
That was also my idea of the Ottomans.
>>
>>854004
I know, but I thought of an "official" color. But of course it all depended on the unit type.
>>
>>852211
Where is your source for that?
Because that sounds like complete fucking bullshit to me
>>
>>852211
I know this is not true.
>>
>>852211
Why the fuck would you have your enemy's flag laying around?
>>
>>848443

They said just fuck my shit up f@m
>>
>>854025

So first you have to launch a massive assault to get an enemy flag for surrendering.
That prevents your generals from surrendering before battling!
Even better, if you manage to hit them strong enough you may even force them to surrender!

>10/10 Preemptive meassure.
>>
>>854052

Or ya know, you can make a replica of the enemies flag.

>autist detected
>>
>>854118

Thats what a coward would thought!
>>
>>854118
>Oh no we're being overrun, quick lets all make replicas of the enemy's flag so we can surrender
Fuck off retard
>>
>>854149

Are you retarded mate? Why would they make it right before they need it? Why not before hand, or I'm sure they have some laying around the kingdom from embassadors and shit before the war starts ya know.
>>
>>854158
You're a fucking retard, no one waved the fucking enemy flag around to signify surrender
Either show your sources, shut the fuck up or fuck off you dipshit
>>
>>854158

>Oh shit. Dont tell the king that I did forgot our flag in the metting with the Swiss, please.
>>
>>854168
>getting this mad because he doesn't get flag diplomacy
stay good /his/
>>
>>854176
Still no source, just more bullshit
>>
File: file.png (74 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
file.png
74 KB, 500x333
>>848458
>They even made France's national flag a plain white flag
>implying
>>
>>854168

I'm not even the original guy who posited the the suggestion. I'm just saying it is entirely likely and possible that said country did have a couple of its enemies flags lying around. There's no need for the brazen insults, take your midol and relax.
>>
>>849441
t. De Gaulle
>>
>>854253

Neither am I that guy, but you did use "autist" and "retard" yourself.
>>
File: battle of tsushima.png (41 KB, 1378x249) Image search: [Google]
battle of tsushima.png
41 KB, 1378x249
>>854168
lel
not even him but lel
all I do is lurk and I know more than you
>>
>>849563
Why do Americans pretend they're poor Eastern European peasants with nothing to lose? What's so wrong with just accepting that we're not tough? Being tough has never been one of our strengths.
>>
>>848443

Cost of the dye maybe.
>>
>>849790
It's also to make it stand out during fog of war, which, is extremely strong and if you've ever see it for yourself you can honestly understand how important the uniform colour is/was.
>>
>>854118
Yeah but no one had the idea until the French did it in 1940
>>
>>854815
explain >>854375 then
>>
File: wat154950.jpg (60 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
wat154950.jpg
60 KB, 720x480
>>854572
I know what it is like. I participated in Waterloo 200, there was only around 2000 of us there and you couldn't see 3 feet in front of you.
But i think it was a happy coincidence, as the New Model Army was formed in the Era of Pike and Shotte, where the fog of war wasn't as much of an issue (As not everyone was using firearms.)
>>
>>852264
This is how civilized people are taught during history lessons in Europe, colonial peasant.
>>
>>848994
I chuckled 10/10.
>>
>>854205
Nigger are you illiterate or what?
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.