[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Ivan the Terrible is still remembered as a sort of Empire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Ivan-Groznyi.jpg (16 KB, 220x252) Image search: [Google]
Ivan-Groznyi.jpg
16 KB, 220x252
Why Ivan the Terrible is still remembered as a sort of Empire builder? He left Muscowy/Russia utterly ruined, defeated in war and ripe for a dynastic crisis.
>>
H-he did great in the first half, until he got a bad flue that made him go insane...

That's what wikipedia and RT thought me.
>>
Stalinist history rewriting is reason here basically.
>>
>>844699
>He left Muscowy/Russia utterly ruined, defeated in war and ripe for a dynastic crisis.

Suffering strenghtens the soul and he made Russian souls of his time very strong indeed.
>>
>>844721
>bad flue that made him go insane...
If a flue is bad enough to break you mentally, it will probably kill you as well.

Ivan was throwing dogs out of castle towers for fun as a child. The man was unhinged at his core.
>>
>>845342
He did get worse after that his wife was poisoned though.
>>
File: ivan map.jpg (698 KB, 2082x1550) Image search: [Google]
ivan map.jpg
698 KB, 2082x1550
>>844699
Because he conquered Kazan' and Astrakhan' and literally twiced territory of Russia?
pis partially translated map
>>
Someone post the painting
>>
>>845559
*pic
>>
>>844699
Same reason modern russians worship Stalin and Putin: masochism.
>>
>>844699
He killed his groomed and proper heir, the dumb shit.
>>
>>845800
Not to mention, made his heir's wife miscarry
>>
>>844699
and then it got worse.
>>
>>845342

Oh come on, I killed animals as a kid and I turned out fine.
>>
>>845813
I doubt our definition of "fine" would match.
>>
File: iioan4.jpg (171 KB, 283x402) Image search: [Google]
iioan4.jpg
171 KB, 283x402
>>844699
Caesar Ivanhoe the Dangerous increased area of Kingdom twice, bring to use Codex of Laws, created the professional army, did divide power at departments, bring to use punishment after faults for officials. From all others Kings Caesar Ivanhoe the Dangerous differ because he did attempts exclaim his rightness in personal messages and had used polemics with persons out of his power which other Kings not used.
Count of victims of Caesar Ivanhoe the Dangerous less that in Europe at massacre St. Bartholomew's Day, and major part of victims of Caesar Ivanhoe the Dangerous ruling was transferred through court.
>>
>>845875
Dangerous is not a good translation. The Russian word we interpret as "terrible" really means "awe and fear inspiring" and in the tradition of Russia that is 100% positive title
>>
>>844699
He was a patron of the arts and education.
>>
>>845954
The word isn't native Russian. It's a borrowing from Polish, where "Grozny" means "dangerous".

The nickname was coined in Poland and then transferred to Russia. It came after the infamous Polish diplomatic mission. Ivan "entertained" his guests in a spectacular fashion. He tormented his boyars by placing shit (literally feces) on their seats and telling them sit. Then he ordered some of the boyars to dance on a table. And the terrified boyars for just that, they danced on a table in shit-smeared clothes.

The Polish diplomats were equally terrified seeing what an unhinged man wields power in a neighboring country. This wasn't yet another power hungry prince looking to expand his territory. It was literally a madman in a position of power.

The whole debacle was among the reasons why Poland and Lithuania formed the PLC and why Poland started a massive military buildup which later crushed Muscowy in the Livonian War.
>>
>>847335
>>845954
"Fearsome" would seem to match all connotations.
>>
>>847335
>It's a borrowing from Polish, where "Grozny" means "dangerous".
I don't know if this is bait, or what, but...
It is not a loanword from Polish, both Polish and Russian inherited it from Proto-Slavic grozĭnŭ (definite form: grozĭnŭjĭ).
>>
>>847360
Nickname is a borrowing, not the word. The word in both languages have a slightly different meaning. In Polish it's negative.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.