[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you give me all the positive aspect of European colonialism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: 1385933795074.jpg (351 KB, 685x962) Image search: [Google]
1385933795074.jpg
351 KB, 685x962
Can you give me all the positive aspect of European colonialism? British and French particulary? I'm not trying to put up an argument, I really need them, it's for an essay.
>>
>>842639
North America and the good parts of North Africa. Oh and Australia and New Zealand.
>>
>I really need them, it's for an essay

the homework board might be more helpfull

>>>/hm/
>>
>>842639
>positive
History doesn't do normative judgements.

Fuck off.
>>
File: 1421347091576.jpg (5 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
1421347091576.jpg
5 KB, 304x166
>>842639
>implying teachers these day give essays based on "positive/negative aspects"
It's a matter of perspective, you indeed are trying to put up an argument. And we get at least 3 times this thread here everyday.
>>
>>842639
It shaped national consciousness of the colonized, in opposition to the colonizer. Without Europeans, many places in the world would still be in feudal kingdoms and/or have tribal mindset.
>>
>>842639
In the long term, the agriculture, education and ideology brought to colonised places has had a far greater impact on the world than if these places were to be left to hunter gatherer societies.
>>
>>842639
gunpowder
>>
Uh, enriching yourself by stealing from others is positive for you, I think not for them.
>>
Ask the Zambians, now all the Rhodesians moved there
>>
>It must also be remembered that the "blessings of civilization" are not in practice by any means as obvious as some simple-minded folk would like to believe. It can be said with fair accuracy that among the tribes with which we have been dealing there is, in their uncontaminated society, no pauperism, no paid prostitution, very little serious drunkenness, and on the whole astonishingly little crime; while practically everyone has enough to eat, sufficient clothing, and an adequate dwelling, according to the primitive native standard. Of what civilized community can as much be said?

Major Browne, high official of the British Government Administrative Department of Kenya
>>
>>842639
The man in the middle is fucking hot and I'd like to run my hands through that deliciously voluminous hair and beard
>>
>>842667
That's actually the problem, teachers keep telling how white people suck how they are cruel how they massacred... I'm aware of all that, but when the French discovered oil in Algeria, I think the Algerian were very happy about that
>>
/r/equesting the chiness guy talking bad to a black dude, talking to him about colonisation and how they wasted everything when they got their indepedance
>>
>>842715
THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS EUROPEAN TRIUMPHALISM. IT ISN'T FUCKING HISTORY AND IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AT CREDIBLE UNIVERSITIES.

FUCK OFF /pol/
>>
>>842721
That Chinese guy made a lot of generalizations not based on the colonial practices of most Europeans in Africa though.

Why request it?
>>
Colonialism was a left-wing ideology to bring civilisation to the impoverished natives of foreign lands.

The right just wanted colonies for boasting and a bit of exploitative labour.
>>
>>842715
Jesus Christ did you even read what you wrote?
> Yea they killed a lot of people and was cruel but hey they while the French was there they discovered something that the native population most likely would have discovered anyway
>>
>>842782
Nice falseflagging tumblr or wherever you're from.
>>
>>842773
He said cool things
>>
>>842763
>IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AT CREDIBLE UNIVERSITIES
Such as?
>>
>>842816
The 5 top 200 universities I've read curriculum and sat in on lectures and tutorials for? The discussion from colleagues?
>>
>>842639
Depends.

Do you consider lowered infant mortality, healthcare, functioning infrastructure and other technological achievements worth mentioning or are you nostalgically romantic positivist?
>>
>>842918
>nostalgically romantic positivist
primitivist*

brainfart
>>
>>842650
>the good parts of North Africa
404 file not found
>>
>>842926
Algeria is pretty okay. Libya was very good until recently.
>>
this conversation has been done to death here, from what I can tell both sides of the argument are wrong, obviously /pol/ is wrong but also the prevailing mainstream liberal opinion

1: colonialism was tyranny, the kingdoms before and corrupt regimes after were often also brutal tyrannies
1a: the liberal beliefs that the west is exceptionally oppressive and "revolutionaries" are always less oppressive once they get into power are false

2: the technology was good, but didn't need colonialism to spread it
2a: other civilizations developed technology as well, northern europeans just had an advantage for a while after being a backwater for centuries. /pol/'s belief in the master race is false
2b: soon after Japan industrialized it set about being colonialist, China, Thailand and Ethiopia failed to industrialize, other westernized countries like Brazil and Italy were also slow to develop strongly suggesting economic reasons why centers of industry only appeared in certain locations in the 19th century and early 20th century

3: countries often fail to develop post WW2 due to a lack of security, not because whitey stole all their gold and diamonds, not because they are inferior culturally or racially
>>
>>842950
For what exactly? Tourism? Egypt is better than those two by a miriad of factors. Also Algeria had a terrorist attack on a hotel recently.
>>
>>842639
Taught Africa the concept of clothes besides basic wraps, paved roads, schools, hospitals, basic infrastructure

Taught Africa the value of its resources

Taught Africa the concept of a written language

>>842664
But history books do exactly that.
>>
>>843005
This. Thinking that colonialism was either one of the worst things humanity has ever done or an age of the genetically intelligent whites spreading their enlightenment and civilization across the globe is literally a meme
>>
File: 1456245758786.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1456245758786.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>843005
Colonialism was about development, and the Africans didn't civilize willingly.

Instead they and bleeding-hearts accused the west of "raping noble indigenous cultures" while they had to be dragged into the civilized world screaming and kicking like children.
>>
>>843058
>Colonialism was about development
>Le white man's burden narrative of the late 19th Century.
Colonialism was about a bunch of people out to make a buck. That's it really.

Development usually happens when
1) Natives need to do shit more efficiently.
2) We're sending settlers over there and these want to recreate life from wherever they come from.

The idea the people colonized other people out of the goodness of their hearts is naive and laughable. Literally Pre WWI tier propaganda.
>>
>>843005
>/pol/
>wrong
>ever
>>
>>843084
Pick 2, right?
>>
>>843211
Pick both
>>
>>842657
thanks! it was
>>
>>843029
>>842670
>>842674
>>842675
>implying any of those are necessarily good
next you'll tell me that god is necessarily good
>>
>>843005
>prevailing mainstream liberal opinion
Really? Those pinkos literally had to repeatedly confess their sin like in Christianity, after 1991 happened. The Black Book of Communism, etc.
>>
>>842715
>>842667
I left university 4 years ago and it wasn't happening back then. This was a British university though, not an American one.
>>
>>843079
Then why blaming all the white for colonialism if it was only a white minority making money and exploiting there?
>>
>>843257
Aren't you guys only learning good side of the British empire?
>>
>>842786
>the native population most likely would have discovered anyway

Top lel you probably actually believe this
>>
>>843554
Yes because only the Europeans are capable of building ways to get oil
>>
>>843451

Because the other whites seem to have been cool with it and are therefore collaborators.
>>
>>843558
The Algerians haven't even figured out toilet paper and you think they're gonna be discovering oil?
>>
>>843568
>dat slippery slope
did you ever hear about a civilization that discovered oil by gently wiping their ass with a piece of disposable paper?
>>
>>843585
It sure wouldn't be the Algerians.
>>
>>842639
umm wow just wow, there were absolutely no "positive" elements of the brutal enslavement and oppression of indigenous peoples by evil WHITE MEN! The native cultures lived peacefully and in harmony with nature until the colonialist Europeans came and oppressed them and started destroying the environment. I seriously cant believe there are people in 2016 who don't know these basic facts of history, I mean I literally cannot even right now.
>>
>>843564
>I've never took part of it, never has ancestor associated with it
>therefore I'm a colloborator
Ok Stalin
>>
>>842639
It was an economic boon for Europe..
>>
How about abolition of slavery, liberation from Ottoman rule, building roads, schools, hospitals, plumbing, electricity...
>>
>what are the positive effects of countless completely different events all over the world at different times over the last five centuries
>>
>>845812
This
Everything else is a lie or a meme
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.