[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Epicureanism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Epicurus_bust2.jpg (86 KB, 590x1000) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus_bust2.jpg
86 KB, 590x1000
Why is it the best philosophy?
>>
It's not just pure hedonism, prior to what some people think. There's actually a lot of thought behind it. It's also not entirely antithetical to Stoicism. Both philosophies have similar views on death for example.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>
>>8416
I agree with a lot of what he had to say. Modern philosophy will never agree on his shit or anything for that matter because "le what if you take what he's saying to it's logical end?" crap.
>>
>>8416
It's pretty cool, too bad it's name got dragged through the dirt where 'epicurean' came to mean a massive hedonist instead of a guy chilling in a garden with his friends.

Does anyone practise and apply epicureanism in real life? Is it easier than Stoicism?
>>
>>8416
What makes you think it's the best philosophy?
>>
>>8661
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.
>>
File: Death-does-not-concern-us.jpg (70 KB, 551x551) Image search: [Google]
Death-does-not-concern-us.jpg
70 KB, 551x551
Based
>>
>>9400
Death concerns us because of the fragility of life, not because it's "here." It's the possibility of death, not death itself.
>>
>>9521
What's the point of living if you waste it worrying about death?
>>
>>9815
I'm not saying we should worry about death, just that it's a silly quote. The fact that death isn't here isn't enough to console us, I don't think.
>>
File: Qu-Stirner 1.jpg (87 KB, 591x379) Image search: [Google]
Qu-Stirner 1.jpg
87 KB, 591x379
>>8416
It is correct on all counts give or take.
>>
>>9815
I don't know. What's the point of living?
>>
>>8988
>Does anyone practise and apply epicureanism in real life? Is it easier than Stoicism?
Yes and yes.

>>10333
Some people get paralyzed or wrap a stupid cult around death. The fact that death isn't a gateway to another life is what's led us to not make any serious efforts to improve life in the here and now. As a perspective of life it's been a great evil
>>
>>8416

I'm a Christian Epicurean, how paradoxical is that.
>>
>>8642
>before to what some people think
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.