[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was the Japanese population so fucking huge during the Edo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: edo_6.jpg (1 MB, 1971x2080) Image search: [Google]
edo_6.jpg
1 MB, 1971x2080
Why was the Japanese population so fucking huge during the Edo period, even though Japan isn't very fertile or has any abundance of farming space, much less pasture land?
>>
Didn't the entire nobility live in Edo? Must've been good for business.
>>
Japan grew white a bit of rice. In addition to that, everyone basically lives near the coasts, which is teeming with seafood of course. Furthermore, they probably were able to import a lot of food because, again, very little far inland areas to worry about shipping food to.
>>
>>841566
>white

quite*
>>
>>841566
When was rice introduced to Japan, and what did they eat before that?
>>
File: Sarusuberi_Scene.jpg (461 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Sarusuberi_Scene.jpg
461 KB, 960x540
>>841526
Because huge conflicts ceased to occur.
[spoiler]MUH PAX TOKUGAWANA
>>
>>841647
>When was rice introduced to Japan, and what did they eat before that?

Japan had rice by at least the 1st century AD, but might have had it for thousands of years before that. Wheat and barely would predate rice, but unlike Northern China, Japan had good potential for rice cultivation.
>>
>>841647
millet
>>
>>841647
https://youtu.be/Mh5LY4Mz15o
>>
>>841526
Rice production and clearing further land for cultivation was a mandate of the Tokugawa shogunate. Additionally, most of the population was unevenly distributed, as the whole of Japan had roughly 30 million inhabitants (+/- 5 million or so) in the 18th century.

>>841647
Rice was introduced sometime after the Yamato period, though there may have been rice and millet cultivation in the Yayoi periods also. We see references to Wa (Japan) appear in Chinese texts around this period (before the 3rd century AD)
>>
>>841710
>Yamato
I meant Jomon. I don't know how I managed something that stupid.
>>
>>841526
Because Japan is not a tiny island like you think.
>>
>>841724
That's okay, I'm worse. I asked because I learned the subject I asked for at least 3 times before, but I keep forgetting. I thought a different phrasing or angle will help me remember this time.
>>
>>841734
The Jomon period lasted a very long time, and it is really the Yayoi people that give Japan its modern ethnographic makeup. I can't think of any way to make the introduction of rice to Japan easier to remember as we don't have an exact date.
>>
>>841526
Rice takes much less land to cultivate than wheat
>>
>>841526
With no warfare there was also a lot more investment in things like land cultivation, land surveying, and a booming fertilizer industry.

Samurai, payed in rice not only suffered from salary deflation, but from pay cuts as well.

in many way peasants had it better than lower class samurai
>>
And don't forget the SOYBEAN!!
>>
>>841749
That's fine enough. Just knowing the century range is good enough for me. And thanks, to each anon.
>>
>>841558
Lords were required to keep their heir in edo and to be their half the time. it was an elaborate hostage system
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.