[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a discussion about Dante's inferno? How it related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: the-inferno-canto-32.jpg (1 MB, 2299x1787) Image search: [Google]
the-inferno-canto-32.jpg
1 MB, 2299x1787
Can we have a discussion about Dante's inferno? How it related to Plato, Aristotle, Genesis, Exodus, Job, Augustine and Boethius?
>>
>>840226
His biggest influence was obviously Diogenes
>>
If it's cold that's tormenting Satan and the cold is generated by Satan's wings, why doesn't Satan just stop flapping his wings?
>>
>Christian fanfiction

lol

the poems are nice tho
>>
>>840304
That's his whole tragedy. As soon as Satan accepts his punishment and stops trying to break free, he essentially submits to the will of God, which would be his redemption. The ice will melt and he can ask God for forgiveness.

As long as he stubbornly tries to beat God by the force of his own will and strength, he only strengthens the verdict against him.
>>
>>840304
Because satan also want to be /fit/
>>
>>840318

I never got that from the text, that's a really cool interpretation.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>not mentioning Virgil, the guy who is actually in it and who Dante idolised

it has more to do with poetry itself, its classical themes, as well as contemporary italian politics than christian theology. the theological aspects just provide the aethetic garb for his existential explorations and his thinly veiled jabs at people/institutions of the time.
>>
>>840333
BRAVO DANTE
>>
>>840226
You missed Aquinas famalam
>>
Honestly this was just a question from one of my university classes, just wanted to see what you guys would think. (dont worry i already did the assignment.)
>>
>>840333
Bravo, Dante!
>>
>>840226
Dante's fanfic has nothing to do with Genesis, Exodus, or Job.
>>
File: 1455195500761.jpg (45 KB, 566x729) Image search: [Google]
1455195500761.jpg
45 KB, 566x729
Can't argue this
>>
>>840388
>reading poetry for plot
>>
>>840388
>not reading the undertones of the fantastic themes that arise and similes that are throughout this work of fiction.

I hope you realize most classical philosophical writings were ones of conversation.
>>
This is easy:

>Allegory writings to convey a deeper message on life/politics/religion/values

Going deeper is actually useless and bullshitty, since than you could just start naming relations between everything. Yeah, relate my post to Nietzsche if you want OP.
>>
>>840226
Self-insertion fanfic of the millennium.
>>
/lit/
>>
>>840412
>tfw you can't discuss Boethius here because of A Confederacy of Dunces
>>
>>840388
Didn't dante also place people he liked in hell?
>>
>>840327
Not only that, but because Satan was never temporal like man and at the dawn of his existance he saw and knew the full full glory of God's divine majesty and infinite love, and was given an ultimatum "I love you and have created you, will you love and serve me?" He responded "Non serviam" and because he had fully known God, he fully knew the consequence of that rebellion. So not only does he cause more of his own misery, he can't end it either.
>>
File: 1456835196090-2.png (408 KB, 404x604) Image search: [Google]
1456835196090-2.png
408 KB, 404x604
>>840727
>He responded "Non serviam"
Metal.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.