[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: PV2sXDt.jpg (78 KB, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
PV2sXDt.jpg
78 KB, 486x500
Why is Hell usually interpreted literally in Christianity?
>>
>>83986
why not?
>>
>>83986
Because the bible is physically the WORD of G*D.
>>
>>84393
>t. luther
>>
Because we already are living in it.
>>
>>83986
The bible was written by Satan.
>>
>>84393
With a bit of editorial help from the Vatican, of course ;^)
>>
>>83986
Because it isn't?
>>
>>85494

edited actually
>>
>>83986
It's not, but people is simple minded and christians are no exception.
>>
>>83986
Fear of Hell keeps the pews full.
>>
>>83986
Heaven vs. Hell is the world's dankest meme.
>>
>>83986
Nothing keeps the plebs in line better than a divine carrot and stick
>>
I think the line between east and west is bullshit, in some cases it's true. Eastern religions and western religions are formulated differently based on perspective. In the west, we tend to imagine literal manifestations. Dogmatic. It's the only way we can visualize things. Compare it to western medicine and eastern medicine.
>>
>>83986
Because it was an easy narrative for many people who couldn't read or write. What better way to captivate people through fires of eternal damnation or whatever. It's legacy has just lived on.
>>
>>83986
Plebs being plebs.

Hell is the state of being forever separate from God, which is the worst thing that can happen to human.
>>
I think nowadays it's not in terms of dogma, but blame Dante for Hell as it exists in the popular subconscious. Yet more proof the Abrahamic faiths have always been influenced the most by pedophiles.
>>
>>83986
Gotta scare them peasants m8. The medieval catholic church extorted money from ignorant people by fear mongering.

"Your mother burns in agony in purgatory but for a modest fee you can paragon her to paradise. Yeeees. Just a few coins my humble peasant. Once the coin in the coffer rings, out of purgatory the soul springs. The Holy Father needs to build that sepulchre."
>>
I think there is all of one or two lines in the bible describing hell, but it was discovered to be a ridiculously effective doctrine by the church, and so it stuck.
>>
>>83986
>>90086
The Bible is very clear about it: Hell is a place that exists and people who aren't saved will end there forever. Pretty much anybody who has read it will tell you that. There are tens of verses at least who support the idea of Hell existing, and none supporting the idea that it's just a metaphor, or whatever you people believe. Here's just a few examples:

Matthew 13:37-43

37He answered, "The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

40"As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. 41The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. 42They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.
Revelation 21:8

8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
Matthew 25:41

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
>>
>>90276
you really only have 1 example, and really its a poor one, since it doesnt mention hell or gehena at all.....
>>
>>90276
Yes, Hell exists and Bible is true, how are we wrong?
>>
>>90534
It's 3 examples, and I could get plenty more if I wanted. They all express where sinners end up after the last judgment, and that place is commonly referred to as "hell".

To make a long story short: God kills everyone on Earth, then resurrects everyone in flesh, then reads out names from the Book of Life. People who are in the book go into the New Jerusalem, which is a city that will descend physically on Earth from the sky, while people whose name aren't written in it will go to the lake of fire along with the devil.
>>
>>90593
>while people whose name aren't written in it will go to the lake of fire
>tfw you sometimes think you're in hell because of human atrocities over the years
Not to sound like I'm tipping a fedora, but really, considering what people have gone through, I always saw Hell as earth itself. Minus the magic regeneration so people can't escape.
>>
>>90740
>I always saw Hell as earth itself. Minus the magic regeneration so people can't escape.
That's not the Biblical view of Hell. However, it's stated clearly that the devil is the "prince of this world" (which doesn't mean it's hell, since the devil isn't stated to have control of hell in the bible. He's supposed to be punished in it).
>>
>>90810
Sorry, I only know bits and pieces of the bible from a Baptist church as a kid and studying bits of the New Testament. But I see Hell and the devil (in biblical terms) in a sense that another anon mentioned earlier, scare tactics. Greeks and Romans had impressive displays to make their gods look like the best ever, I see no reason why Christians wouldn't do a similar thing.
>>
>>90896
>But I see Hell and the devil (in biblical terms) in a sense that another anon mentioned earlier, scare tactics.
You'd be wrong to think that. Everything in the Bible should be taken as a literal record, unless it's specified otherwise (like when Jesus clearly states that what he's gonna say is a parable).

Any view other than this doesn't make sense, because everything is intertwined. For example, people often say that the story of Adam and Eve is metaphorical and didn't actually happen. What these people forget is that you have parts in the Bible that list complete genealogies going from Jesus all the way up to Adam. Whether you believe or not that these stories are true is your choice, but it's pretty clear that from a Biblical standpoints, these events happened or will happen in the future if it's a prophecy.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.