[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Christians the only swine eaters of the abrahamic religions?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6
Why are Christians the only swine eaters of the abrahamic religions? What makes them exempt?
>>
>>837122
Europeans.
>>
>>837122
Cus not eating a perfectly delicious animal is retarded.
>>
For Christianity to make sense you have to disregard 90% of the Old Testament
>>
>>837122
>Rise Peter, kill and eat

Plus the idea that Christians who weren't Jews didn't have to follow Judaic laws.
>>
>>837122
Literally Paul.

Early Christianity took it's Jewish roots seriously including the pork. Paul came and changed it.
>>
>>837122
The words of Jesus in Mark 7

And He said to them, “Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him; because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?” (Thus He declared all foods clean.)

Also the vision Peter had in Acts 10

On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance; and he saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground, and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air. A voice came to him, “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” But Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.” Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.” This happened three times, and immediately the object was taken up into the sky.
>>
Raw pork has a lot of parasites, in ancient times not eating pork was a good rule of thumb to not get sick.
>>
>>837130
THIS IS THE FUCKING TRUTH GUYS!!!
>>
Well, the old testament is worthless, but I suspect that there is literally nothing else you can do with a pig except fuck it I guess might have played a role.
>>
>>837161
Except the Roman Empire didn't collapse from epidemics of trichinosis.
I prefer the socioeconomic explanation: pigs can't easily travel in arid conditions, so unlike cattle and sheep they couldn't be appropriated by the religious and political elite. This meant pigs weren't used in sacrifices, and the elite didn't eat pork. So it began to be seen as low class and ritually impure, eventually becoming forbidden to priests entirely.
>>
>>837193
Oh, and regarding Romans, that's why.
They were willing to give up blood sports, adultery, and pederasty. But you'd never make a Roman give up bacon.
>>
>>837193
Pigs are omnivorous which makes them very easy and cheap to keep. They can literally eat leftovers from human meals and supplement that with whatever they can find or scavenge. Plus, they are fertile, with one sow producing ~6 piglets at a time.
>>
>>837224
they also eat their own feces which is kinda gross
>>
Pigs are 98% biologically related to humans. That does not happen by accident nor natural law.

Swines are interbreeds between humans and wild boars from the pre-deluge societies. One of the few to survive.

Aside from the practical measures, this is why it is tainted. Christianity was subverged.
>>
Europe has cold countries where pork would stay preserved longer. Pork goes bad too quick in hotter countries without a fridge.
>>
There is no good reason not to eat pork
>>
>>837229
They usually don't. Pigs are surprisingly clean by nature. Some cultures however added poop to pig fodder.

>>837256
Lol wut?

>>837271
For most of the year temperatures in Europe are well above freezing.

Europeans developed ingenious ways to preserve meat like curing, salting, smoking or pickling.
>>
>>837130
Nonono you have to "fulfill" 90% of the OT
>>
>>837122
Because Pauline Theology. Paul and his gentiles had no desire to keep to the Mosaic Laws.
>>
>>837122
Good luck converting roman, celtic, germanic and slavic people if your religion doesn't allow pork
>>
>>837144
So a man giving oral sex is okay?
>>
>>837485
Enormous reason why Islam couldn't penetrate China btw.
>>
>>837509
But there's 11 million of them in China
>>
File: oooofunny.gif (2 MB, 331x197) Image search: [Google]
oooofunny.gif
2 MB, 331x197
>>837256
>Pigs are 98% biologically related to humans.

mfw
>>
>>837513
Those are Turkic minorities from a province that was never part of China proper.
>>
>>837513
Wow, a whole .8% of the population.
All of them, by the way, Turks in Xinjiang, which was part of China for what, 200 years?
>>
>>837516
>>Pigs are 98% biologically related to humans.
Sure, because this pigs are holy creatures of an abrahamic god, for protection of pigs he said words about protecting pigs from eating by humans.
>>
>>837122
The reason people got so upset about pigs is because they're the only domesticated edible animals to have organs very similar to human beings, when for instance cows have multiple stomachs. Other domesticated animals also had other utilities, when the pig's purpose was only to be eaten, and perhaps to serve as a garbage cleaner. Since a distinction had been made between clean/unclean food, they naturally saw the pink-skinned swines as something that would be rather close to cannibalism, hence unholy, and furthermore something rather easy to replace (making sheeps unclean would mean you should remove wool from your entire civilization)
So >>837256 is rather interesting because it shows how primitive cultures considered the problem
>>
>>837513
And do you hear of them causing any ruckus?

Nope. The Chinese were quick to temper the Muslim problem early.

If ISIS even sneezes in their direction, they'll be put down within the month, without the american pretense of "humane" methods.
>>
File: video games.jpg (54 KB, 636x361) Image search: [Google]
video games.jpg
54 KB, 636x361
I'll just reuse this thread about Christianity to drop this image.
Using a similar logic to the one shown, isnt posting on 4chan un-Christian?

Why are you here, apostates?
>>
>>837585
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack
>>
>>837596
And mass executions of 55 terrorists and even suspects happened in may 2014. Your point?
>>
>>837591
If you do no wrong, you act in a christian way. Going on 4chan is about educating yourself so it's as okay as reading the newspapers
>>
>>837553
>>837526
No, I'm talking about the Hui ethnicity which has inhabited the Chinese heartland ever since the Silk Road began. What do you gain from talking entirely out of your ass?
>>
>>837579
No, cows just have one big stomach with several chambers that have distinct functions, ancient people probably wouldn't have understood rumination if they dissected a cow, they would just see one big stomach with an asymmetrical shape.
>>
>>837607
Not him, but I really don't think ISIS would care about China killing 50 persons more or less unrelated to the case, when they themselves don't expect for the perpetrators of terrorist acts to survive.
It is anyway rather hard to judge how China would fare against ISIS, when all you have to work with is state-controlled chinese press reports
>>
>>837591
>God forbids humans to have fun
t. protestant
>>
>>837623
Alright, they would have found an enormous stomach instead of one regular-ass human-looking stomach in a beast with horns, udder and covered in hair, point still stands
>>
>>837634
Some big protestant cities like Strasbourg actually had decrees forbidding people to dance within the walls of the city
>>
File: trump hurry.gif (209 KB, 231x300) Image search: [Google]
trump hurry.gif
209 KB, 231x300
>>837122
Paul
Next question.
>>
>>837645
>Next question.

Was that because Paul liked great, big meaty sausages in his mouth?
>>
>>837654
No, see
>>837136
>>837485
>>
>>837638
Pigs can have have horns, udders, be covered in hair, they have hooves and walk on all fours, and their stomachs are relatively misshapen. much larger in proportion and functionally different due to their vertical physiology rather than upright posture.
>>
>>837674
Yes, I'm aware that pigs aren't bipedal human beings, but they are still less different from humans than the other domesticated animals
>>
>>837683
No, they are very different from humans, they don't even have fingers empathetic faces and eyes like other domesticated animals.

Can you show any historical reference before genetics where people thought they were like pigs?
>>
>>837698
Sadly, I read it in a specialized mag
>>
>>837698
Besides I don't think those particular anatomic traits you mentioned were of importance back then. To them it probably was just because they looked visually (and internally) samey
>fingers empathetic faces and eyes
The fuck
Goats don't have that
Cows don't have that
Sheeps don't have that
Horses don't have that
Are you thinking about dogs and cats? Dogs were seen as bad as pigs
Once again : they're not human beings. They look like human beings more than other domesticated animals.
>>
>>837130

Your know this was literally the point of jesus?
>>
>>837709

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515969/Humans-evolved-female-chimpanzee-mated-pig-Extraordinary-claim-American-geneticist.html
>>
>>837720
America pls
>>
>>837726
>>
>>837712
Yes, yes, that's why christians believe in none of the moral pronouncements of the OT.

Oh, that's right, they believe in just as much as each individual one of them finds convenient.
>>
>>837709
They all have much kinder eyes than beady pig eyes.
>>
>>837122
They dont post on /jp/.
>>
>>837193
>>837198
>>837485
Came here to basically post these.

>>837224
What does omnivorous status matter if water is scarce? Pigs as domesticated animals use more water than any other.
>>
>>837753
>>>r/atheism
>>
>>837740
That pig looks unironically adorable.
>>
>>837712
>For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. — Matthew 5:18-19

>It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid. (Luke 16:17)

>Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. (Matthew 5:17)

>Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law (John7:19)

>"The Scripture cannot be broken," (NASB, Jn. 10:35).

>When confronted by Satan, Jesus appealed to the Old Testament as a source of authority by stating, "It is written," (Matt. 4:4, 7, 10).

>Jesus appealed to Scripture when correcting false doctrine stating, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures" (NASB, Matt. 22:29).

>Jesus affirmed the historical existence of Jonah (Matt. 12:40), Noah (Matt. 24:37-38), and Adam and Eve (Matt. 19:4-6).

Totally. Jesus told everyone to disregard that evil Old Testament.
>>
>>837193

Or, you could actually do something as radical as read the OT, and notice that it quite literally lumps the dietary laws, as well as a few others, with admonitions not to get too chummy with the Caananites and Philistines and other filthy pagans.

It's quite literally justified as "Do this to be different".
>>
>>838207
>It's quite literally justified as "Do this to be different".
Well, that is a tribal defense mechanism that allowed Jewish culture to survive even the extended loss of its homeland, while so many others were erased from history as they just absorbed into the conquering cultures.

So, it's actually a pretty good justification, if seemingly nonsensical on the surface.

That's why the Mormons wear that secret underwear afterall.
>>
Jesus had some bacon and was like this shit's the bomb, the fucks wrong with jews?

Also christians aren't supposed to eat shellfish I believe, but that doesn't mean dick to them.
>>
>>837844

>oh no he has posted something true and accurate.
>that's just not fair. such a big meanie
>what am I going to do?
>let me furrow my brow and think about it
>I know, I'll tell him to go to Reddit!
>that'll show him, that'll show the World!!!
>Jeebus Christ is my saviour!!!!!
>>
Most animals we eat are pretty disgusting... pigs don't really deserve the bad rap they've been given.

To me, eating venison is disgusting. If I wanted to eat deer meat, I'd want it to be farm-raised. Unless it's a survival situation, no thank you.
>>
>>837128
Enjoy your ringworms
>>
Because Mutton and Eggs doesn't cut it.
Also, there is nothing like a Roast Pork with Broccoli Raab and Sharp Proeolone.
>>
>>838190
his teachings derogated the parts which contradicted him, not all obviously
>>
>>837622
>10 million
So my .8% bit still stands even though my Turks in Xinjiang thing doesn't.
>>
>>837144
What about actual poisinous plants and animals?
>>
File: 1303441742457.png (43 KB, 344x517) Image search: [Google]
1303441742457.png
43 KB, 344x517
>>838895
>enjoy your fungal foot disease from eating pork

??????
>>
>>837753
>Christians are morons that take the ot seriously in spite of Christs attempted reforms
>Christians are morons that disregard all the rules of the bible
pick one
>>
>>837753
The Old Testament laws are Ceremonial Law

The New Testament laws are Moral Law

Christians don't follow any Old Testament teachings, or at least they shouldn't. They are only supposed to follow them when they coincide with the New Testament moral law.
>>
>>838272
As a guy who shoots (with arrows, bullets are for casuals) deer, skins em, guts em, and eats them, I find this post hilarious.
You dont know what youre missing mate homemade deer jerky tastes divine compared to supermarket bullshit
>>
>>838207
Which is the same reason the upper classes refused to eat pork: to show they were different from the lower classes.
>>
The deliciousness of pork.

Why the fuck would God have created pigs if not for us to eat them? Fucking retarded sand people.
>>
>>841925
This ceremonial/ritual/moral distinction is completely post-hoc. Jews have no idea what you're talking about, when you mention it.
>>
>>842087
>As a guy who shoots (with arrows, bullets are for casuals) deer

way to torture animals for sport
>>
>>842294
You better be a vegetarian.

Death is death, humans have hunted with less effective means that bows for the majority of time our species has existed.

t. conservationist who has no problem with culling certain species in the right situation.
>>
>>842294
How is eating an animal that has spent its life in captivity morally superior to eating an animal that spent its life free?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.