[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk interesting/notable victims of the French Revolution.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: nun.png (317 KB, 518x392) Image search: [Google]
nun.png
317 KB, 518x392
Let's talk interesting/notable victims of the French Revolution.

>Martyrs of Compiègne

16 nuns, lay sisters and externs who were executed for not agreeing to swear the Oath of the Clergy to the Constitution or follow the laws enacted by the Civil Constitution of the Clergy, hiwch involved suppressing convents and monastaries. They were imprisoned, condemend for treason, and executed. According to witnesses, the women began sanging as they were executed, continuing until the last woman--the prioress--died. What they sang has been debated (some witnesses claim they remember one song, and others a different one).
>>
They all deserved it.
>>
>>836605
here's your (You) edgelord
>>
Context is everything, the church was awful to French peasants and was granted numerous privileges by the state so it's not like they're innocent.
>>
>>836612
You slipped, OP's post was >>836599
>>
Ah ça ira, ça ira, ça ira, les aristocrates a la lanterne!
>>
>>836599
I was actually just listening to Mike Duncan's Revolutions and got to the part where they tried and executed Louis. The ridiculous logic and disregard for the rule of the National Convention is pretty astounding.

>>836632
I don't think they deserved death, revocation of title and property sure, but the guillotine was way overused.
>>
>>836632
>the church was awful to French peasants and was granted numerous privileges by the state so it's not like they're innocent.

How, specifically, was the church awful to French peasants in the 18th century? More specifically: how did this particular order treat French peasants so awfully that they deserved not just suppression, but death? How does being granted privileges mean that you aren't innocent, and therefore deserve to be executed?
>>
>>836662
The pre-revolutionary power structure had to be dismantled down to its foundations. That meant killing the people who composed it and benefited from it.

The job wasn't finished, and so France had to suffer the Bourbon restoration.
>>
>>836670
pshhhhh...nothin personnel...mon frere
>>
>>836651
It's one of the instances where I agree with Robespierre, at least from the revolutionary point of view. The king should never have been tried. By trying Louis, and saying he would be given a full legal process like any citizen, they validated their laws---then threw them out the window, violating their own laws.

>>836632
Context is everything. Carmelite nuns were not big shot archbishops living in the lap of luxury. The poor in France particularly relied on orders like these, because the nuns provided essential care in the form of free medical care/hospitals, schools, and provided food for the local poor. All these particular nuns did was just want to continue living in their church and devoting themselves to God and the poor as they had been before.
>>
>>836651
>I don't think they deserved death
Why in God's name should we care what you think?

A serious question.

If you answer it maybe you could actually make the post you should have made in the first place.

Unargued normatives are worth the same as second hand toilet paper.
>>
>>836670
How, specifically, did these nuns benefit from the pre-revolutionary power structure?
>>
>>836687
Why should anyone care what you think?
>>
>>836693
Well the church was subsidized by the state, and people had to pay tithes to them.

Anyway, the church was a bastion of reaction. Better to just be rid of the whole thing.

>inb4 fedora
>>
>>836694
Because "Unargued normatives are worth the same as second hand toilet paper." is sound from Hume.
>>
De-Christianization had not been one of the original 1789 goals. But shortly into the revolution, it became clear that there was popular support for reinstating the monarchy and that this was closely tied to support for Catholicism.

But for most in France the alternative to Catholicsim is this de-Christianizing or Anti-Clericalism.

In France Protestantism never got very far. Mostly the Rhone River Valley as it comes out of Switzerland. America's Dupont family are French Protestants.
>>
>>836708
>In France Protestantism never got very far.
So how did they take the crown?

They got plenty far but were successfully contained, repressed and eliminated.
>>
File: 1-madame-barry.jpg (305 KB, 559x751) Image search: [Google]
1-madame-barry.jpg
305 KB, 559x751
Madame du Barry

>offer to tell the tribunal where all of her buried belongings are to save her life
>they send someone to write it all down
>then send in the executioner anyway to prepare her
>had to be held back on the way to the guillotine because of her hysteria, begging people on the street to help her
>ran around the scaffold screaming for help and saying 'you're going to hurt me, why are you going to hurt me?'
>last words were 'one moment more, please, one moment more!'

Even contemporaries wrote it was one of the few times the crowd didn't jeer an aristocrat on the scaffold
>>
Why would you do capital punishment if they're now citizens? How would you judge them from their old identities?
>>
>>836719
This one and the execution of the Romanovs always get me.

I'm all for revolution but...
>>
>>836720
>Why would you do capital punishment if they're now citizens?
because they're counter-revolutionary scum
>>
>>836720
>Why would you do capital punishment if they're now citizens?
Why wouldn't a state kill its citizens?

>How would you judge them from their old identities?
You uncover their former personage, accuse them of treason, seize their property, and sell it back to private individuals who merely happen to be you. Easy.
>>
>>836720
because paranoia, excessive violence, and humanity's general love of punishing people who once had any power, perceived or otherwise, over someone else. Happens in every revolution or regime switch. In France, members of the church and aristocrats were statistically more likely to be arrested and/or executed during the Terror due to their former associations or former social status (usually condemned under the always broad "counter-revolutionary behavior"), when compared to 'peasants' who were more likely to be executed for what would have normally been crimes that resulted in imprisonment, not execution, or for even mild forms of counter-revolutionary behavior.

They were also technically breaking the law. It's just that the law, which allowed for the death penalty, was "you can't be nuns." Kind of like how one of the actual charges against Madame du Barry was that she wore mourning in England after the death of Louis XVI.
>>
File: ben13_faivre_001f.jpg (215 KB, 1400x1003) Image search: [Google]
ben13_faivre_001f.jpg
215 KB, 1400x1003
>>836740
the murder of Lamballe gets me. She didn't even get the benefit of a relatively painless death by guillotine.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.