[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism and violence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Why is it that western atheists condemn Semitic religions for the wars and violence associated with them but praise Indic religions (gnostic atheists at the very least) for being peaceful.

Buddhism and the like have a history just as dark as there western counterparts:
>Ashokavadana massacre
> All Sri Lankan history
>Sectarian conflicts in japan
>Tibetan terrorism (yes the commit terrorism against traditional Chinese religious institution)
> Buddhist nationalism in Thailand and Burma

I'm not condemning budhism but why does it get pass in regards to violence?
>>
>>83604
> praise Indic religions (gnostic atheists at the very least) for being peaceful.
Historical ignorance, really. Hell, it's not even history, you only need to look at what's going on in Myanmar currently with the Rohingya.
>>
Because modern Buddhists are relatively chill
Prejudices don't last without reminders
>>
>>83604
Most Western Atheists don't really know all of what they talk about, i.e ignorance on so called 'dark ages' and islam.
The history known by most people will be from the perspective the local government wants them to see.
>>
>>83604
It's distant and vague in the eyes of your usual Westerner, as well as being a lot less intensive than Abrahamic religious violence.

Also, Tibetans are freedom fighters. They dindu nothing, etc etc. You know how much propaganda America pumps out in their favor?
>>
>>83710
name a modern Buddhist country without an current internal conflict in the past 20 years
>>
>>83800
Japan and Taiwan
>>
>>83604
>Ashokavadana massacre
The texts literally use it as an example of where he turned his back on the faith, not that the faith justified and supported his actions. It's a fable about misguided crusades.

>All Sri Lankan history
Yeah, whatever.

>Sectarian conflicts in japan
That's because any guy who claimed he had a Buddhist monastery could claim non-profit organization tax exemption status.

>Tibetan terrorism (yes the commit terrorism against traditional Chinese religious institution)
That was Mao and the cultural revolution.

Yes, I know someone might point out these are a "No true Buddhist" argument but it largely has to do with whether or not these actions are accepted or condemned.
>>
>>83834
Modern japan is not Buddhist and Taiwan is not Buddhist in the way that other southeast Asian countries are, more people follow Chinese religions if any at all
>>
>>83604
You answered your own question
>western atheists
>western

I think it's because asian people are not a concern for western people in general. At least not as much as other western people. So any insight into buddhinsm or hinduism or jainism etc. Has a good chance of being confirmation biased to either justify research or propaganda. There is not much analysis and buddhism gets romanticized.
All you gotta do to spread awareness is repost Buddhists with guns fucking shit up.
>>
>>83922
Okay then, Vietnam and Mongolia
>>
>>83915
Rohingya in Burma
>>
>>83922
That's like saying a country isn't Christian is they aren't Catholic because there's no Vatican and Pope.
>>
>>83922
Japan is Buddhist, fool. Are you kidding? There's monks to this day. Just because it's syncretic with the indigenous religion does not invalidate the Buddhist aspect. If that were the case, we could say Mexico isn't Catholic.
>>
>>83604
I don't know that one equates to the other. I don't doubt that there are incidents where Buddhists have committed atrocities is true, but I doubt that it is on the same scale. Are there historical examples of wars fought entirely under the pretense of Indic ideology? My understanding is that due to the more philosophical and less dogmatic nature of Buddhism there needs to be some other catalyst introduced to the mix for large scale conflict.
>>
>>84192
That rational can be applied to crusades as well. It doesn't change that fact that religion was a factor in the conflict.
>>
>>83922
Just because it's not an impoverished borderline theocracy doesn't mean it's not Buddhist. Are you going to claim Qatar or the United Arab Emirates aren't Muslim then?
>>
>>84378
But very few Christians condemn the crusades and an unchristian thing.
>>
>>84410
no it means that its more akin to Iceland in the christian-sphere than a country like Poland. Religion plays almost no role in either country politicly
>>
>>84532
Yeah so? Separation of Church and State doesn't remove the fact that a nation can be of a majority religion. Most of the violence from the Southeast Asian countries isn't so much related to religion rather than significant corruption from having been both a strict Monarchy and a Soviet state with coups from the military.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.