[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good 'Nam flicks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: 1438300680264.jpg (210 KB, 1200x899) Image search: [Google]
1438300680264.jpg
210 KB, 1200x899
What are some good 'Nam flicks?
>>
It's really hard to filter out the anti-war propaganda horseshit from most of them, but I guess Platoon.
>>
File: pepe3.jpg (26 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
pepe3.jpg
26 KB, 420x420
That one where "It Ain't Me" starts playing.
>>
>>833084
Go back to /tv/
>>
>>832986
How can anti-war be propaganda?
It just a means for countries to stop fighting and just chill out.
>>
>>>/tv/

Go back there please.
>>
File: get some.jpg (40 KB, 903x588) Image search: [Google]
get some.jpg
40 KB, 903x588
Full Metal Jacket does a good job at accurately showing how the soldiers actually were. Instead of showing the Americans to be infallible heroes like most movies, FMJ instead shows how most of them were fucked up in the head. It also shows how 'Nam was more than a battlefield.

Apocalypse Now is great but keep in mind it's actually a Vietnam-adaptation of Heart of Darkness. So, you should be trying to find parallels between Vietnam and Congo Free State.
>>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/
>>
>>833488
>all Vietnamese people are either brave soldiers or hapless civilians getting raped and humiliated by bored psychopathic rednecks
>Vietnamese women are either prostitutes or elderly tribal grandmas begging the GIs not to kill their children
>virtually ALL American troops are draftees even though draftees were only 25% of the military personnel
>everyone talks about how he doesn't even want to be there, everyone is smoking weed 24/7, if a black person appears he's either a victim of severe racism or he goes full Black Panther
>tremendous focus on socio-psychological bullshit rather than actual history
>and of course "It ain't me" starts playing at some point

I attribute this to the fact that Americans lost Vietnam and they went on full suicide watch over that shit, but come on. The only movie that breaks aways from these dumb tropes is We Were Soldiers and it's an opposite extreme with its MURRICA FUCK YEA narrative.
>>
>>833488
>How can anti-war be propaganda?
Soviets funded a shitload of anti-war movements to destabilize their western opponents. The opposition to deployment of ballistic missiles in western Europe was almost entirely a Soviet operation, for example.
>>
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now

BONUS:
Tropic Thunder

>>833527
That's because most of the directors in Hollywood who tackled the Vietnam conflict where part of the 25% of draftees and only ever served with other pot-smoking hippy shitbags who didn't want to be there. They ignore that the vast majority of troops were volunteers because that isn't how they remember their time in. I think Platoon and FMJ both show this element a lot better than other films in the genre.
>>
>>833527
Except that shit actually happened.

Richard Ramirez was inspired to be a serial killer because his brother showed him pictures of him and fellow soldiers raping and beheading Vietnamese women.

That's not even mentioning the countless civilian deaths from bombings and the South Koreans...
>>
>>833561
Well I liked Platoon because it's pretty much directly based on Oliver Stone's personal experience, the problem I have is that virtually -ALL- Vietnam movies followed the same narrative.

Vast majority of the Vietnam war was air campaigns, but I guess depicting a bomber squad isn't as attractive to the average pleb viewer as watching batshit insane men fighting in the jungle and getting sniped by le spooky pajama men.

>FMJ

I don't like this movie that much since like half of the characters are absolute edgelords and crackpots. It's a straight up pulp fiction.
>>
File: Ho Chi Minh telegram to Truman.jpg (112 KB, 776x830) Image search: [Google]
Ho Chi Minh telegram to Truman.jpg
112 KB, 776x830
>>833561
>anyone who doesn't wanna fight unnecessary wars is a fucking pot-smoking hippy :D:D
Not everyone is a fucking retard.

Pic related.
>>
File: 1389314574278.gif (3 MB, 525x287) Image search: [Google]
1389314574278.gif
3 MB, 525x287
>>833584
Believe me, I feel that the US should have supported Ho Chi Min, but our hands were tied by the whole commie situation. The best the US could have managed was to just stay out of the war honestly.

That being said, most of the draftees should not have been in Nam. They were terrible soldiers and the vast majority should never have been put into a shitty situation like that. The situation itself led to draftees finding any way they could to escape, even temporarily, their reality.

Basically, I think the draftees should never have been sent to Nam in the first place.
>>
>>833581
Another problem I have is the portrayal or lack thereof of the ARVN. Most Vietnam movies depict it as just Americans vs Vietcong and South Vietnamese army is at the very best relegated to the role of some shitty American sidekicks (FMJ) even though an overwhelming majority of ground operations was conducted by them.
>>
>>832978
Forrest Gump.
>>
>>833602

>Turn back on NATO ally for commies.
>>
>>833635
It wouldn't be the first time.
>>
>>833581
Rescue Dawn was kinda about the air war (by proxy), and the documentary Herzog also did about the guy it's based on is really good
>>
File: 1389685753396.jpg (158 KB, 1200x787) Image search: [Google]
1389685753396.jpg
158 KB, 1200x787
>>833635
Like I said,

Best case scenario is the US simply not involving itself.

We could not help commies due to our political agenda, but we should never have helped French Imperial interests either.
>>
>>833527
>he hasn't seen Deer Hunter or Rescue Dawn

git gud senpai
>>
Hamburger Hill
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.