[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ NEEDS ID'S
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: 1439935001772.gif (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1439935001772.gif
2 MB, 640x640
/his/ NEEDS ID'S
>>
Mars needs moms
>>
fish and bicycles and all that
>>
I support this. It's still anonymous, but you're accountable to your words and can't samefag...

Unless someone is so committed to shilling they're swapping IPs to bump their own threads.I'd like to think that history buffs are critical thinkers in general and would have no problem spotting a bullshitter.
>>
>>83146
I'd be fine with ID's
Please no flags.
>>
>>83363
Ditto. IDs would help organize discussion. Flags would utterly destroy this board.
>>
Optional IDs.
>>
File: Saturns hexogon.jpg (404 KB, 1200x1131) Image search: [Google]
Saturns hexogon.jpg
404 KB, 1200x1131
>>83146
I agree.

I the meantime we adopt names.
>>
>>83146
please no.
>>
>>83471
I was about to agree, then this.

Nope. Nope nope nope fucking nope.
>>
>>83146
>making this /pol/ 2.0 rather than /int/ 3.0
wow, major improvement
>>
>>83146
No it doesn't. If you want users identifiable by every post in a thread, join a fucking regular forum.

>>83309
>you're accountable to your words
Top lel. No you aren't, first of all - as you say - you can swap IPs with trivial ease. Secondly, people shitpost on regular forums with usernames, IDs don't help with the issue at all. (See /pol/ for example, there's still a flood of shitposts even though IDs are enabled.)

The only value IDs could possibly hold is if one poster is consistently delivering useful information on a single topic within a thread. We have another site function for users who wish to do that: TRIPCODES.
>>
>>83682
>NO! Following conversations and discouraging trolls is bad

I have a place for you >>>/b/
>>
>>83701
With IDs you can have people within a thread easily identifiable. They aren't the dreaded "namefags" you people never understand.
IDs just help indicate who you're talking to.

[Children]
>>
I suck cocks
>>
>>83736
>Following conversations
If you're too dumb to follow reply chains and recognize typing styles, you don't belong on the internet unassisted.

The content a post is sufficient to judge that post, you do not need a 100% accurate identifier of that user's post history in the thread. You can make inferences from reply chains and if those turn out wrong there is no great loss.

Furthermore there is no evidence that IDs discourage trolls. Even account registration (adding another step to ban evasion) doesn't discourage trolls on regular sites, why the hell would a half-measure system help on 4chan?
>>
>>83726
The voice of reason.

It will not discourage the things it is meant to discourage and it would be useful only for a very specific situation, while taking away the anonymity. There are not good reasons to do it and it'd be useless.
>>
>>83771
>With IDs you can have people within a thread easily identifiable
That's more of a curse than a blessing, you want identifiable users? Fuck off to a site with registration then.

Try /r/history
>>
>>83783
It does get complex, and of course you have this >>83778
"No evidence" he says.

>>83801
It's like you didn't even read that post. What an imbecile.
>>
Yes IDs
No Flags

Flags would turn this place into /pol/ 2.0, and that's not what I hoped we would want for this.
>>
>>83916
>It does get complex
Very rarely. Nowhere near often enough to justify the compromise in anonymity that occurs as a result.
>you have this >>83778
Where's the problem? What is the relevance of your identity to this thread?
(It's quite useful for identifying anyone using it as being silly, but that's about it.)

>>83950
Flags would turn us into /int/ 2.0, not /pol/ 2.0, but that's another story.

Incidentally, where is this great deluge of trolling that needs to be discouraged?
>>
>>83726
tripcodes are dumb unless it's for one specific thread where your identity is relevant to the conversation, which would be extremely rare on this board.

at least with IDs the shitposter would have to actually apply themselves to not only change IDs but bump a post in a manner that didnt seem like they were samefagging something.

I know there are a dedicated group of shitposters that have mastered that science, but that is so beyond sad the rest of us should make them work to earn their e-badges of valor.
>>
>>84003
>tripcodes are dumb unless it's for one specific thread where your identity is relevant to the conversation,
Exactly the use case I suggested.
>which would be extremely rare on this board.
I can see some /k/ style infodumps happening, or story threads where someone talks about how their grandpa killed fiddy men.
>at least with IDs the shitposter would have to actually apply themselves to not only change IDs but bump a post in a manner that didnt seem like they were samefagging something.
This is not difficult. (Furthermore, some shitposters can just keep their IDs - a lot of users don't know about the filter system so they'll always hook a few people with bait.)
>the rest of us should make them work to earn their e-badges of valor.
If you want to contain shitposting, better moderation is the solution, not identities.
>>
>>83997
>Incidentally, where is this great deluge of trolling that needs to be discouraged
/his/ d-1 recycled polbait and /his/d-2 the trap offensive.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/5908001

should mods enable IDs?!!
>>
>>83997
>the compromise in anonymity
>I'm a neurotic autist agoraphobic

You make weak points.
>>
I guess ID's aren't explicitly needed, but I just hate it when people brigade a thread to make it seem like there's a consensus or that one side won out. The ID's would he like /pol/'s and would be unique to each thread.
>>
>>84122
>no third option for "idk lol"
>>
>>84178
>You make weak points.
From the poster who has no better argument than to use an ad-hominem.
>>
People who want IDs: /pol/
People who don't want IDs: other boards
>>
>>83146
"no"
>>
>>83783
both me. It's not hard to differentiate posting styles.
>>84003
>>84090

>>84003
>>
>>84219
That's abstaining

>>84220
>You: "This doesn't prevent trolling"
>Proof it does is shown
>You: "This compromises anonymity"
>You: "You use ad-hominem"

What are you afraid of? Recognition? You're weird.
>>
>>84481
>Proof it does is shown
I must have missed that. Reiterate any proof that IDs reduce the incidence of trolling.
Protip: He used the same face in the name box as me!! isn't trolling. If you cared enough about maintaining YOUR identity, you would use a tripcode.

>What are you afraid of?
I am afraid of nothing. I do not see the utility in adding IDs, the burden of proof that IDs would be a beneficial change (And worth any compromises, such as to anonymity) lies with those in favor of IDs.
>>
no they dont.
>>
>>84662
i agree with this Anon.
OP is a really dumb idea.
"Id's"
*scough*
>>
>>84662
just use a trip then
>>
>>84662
oh, great post, so funny, this Anon is great, i'm screencapping this an then tatooing it on my fleash
>>
>>84662
yes we do, you cearly are just another racost member of /lit/
>>
>>84662
just look at /pol/ they have IDs and it does noting to stopr the shitposting that goes on.
>>
>>84662
ohhhhhh OP got wreacked!
>>
>>84552
Oh never mind. I was only trolling

OP, I agree. IDs are a good idea. Maybe we should also do forced anonymity to go along with it.
>>
File: The solution.gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
The solution.gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>83146

No Flags. No IDs.

Stop trying to fuck up the board.
>>
/his/ needs account profiles.

That way you can know if the person you are debating has a history of trolling or if they have inconsistent opinions from topic to topic. This will make it easier to win debates with posters who lack in coherent ideas.
>>
>>84755
the alternative to "effective" moderation is self policing, Id prefer forced IDs to arbitrary bans.

At least with IDs you have to back up your opinions. (assuming your not actively working around them to samefag, which is pathetic)
>>
>>84552
>I am afraid of nothing.
You apparently are
the burden of proof that IDs would be a beneficial change lies with those in favor of IDs.
Two reasons stand. Enough to plug your nose holes.

Here's a third: You can *ignore* a pol poster. Or even *filter* them. If a janitor isn't around to clean up a thread, YOU do it.
Vote for IDs for saner conversation

>>84677
I'd rather not!

>>84755
Flagfags are nationalist polists. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em even more by adopting IDs
>>
>>84829
or you can just use another one of the literally thousands of history/humanities related forums that require a fucking user account.
>>
File: 1436877118487.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1436877118487.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>84829

Do you guys really not understand the point of an anonymous imageboard? The whole idea is that you DON'T need to just through a billion hoops to post.
>>
>>83252
mars needs milfs
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (584 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
584 KB, 740x740
>>83146
>an ANONYMOUS IMAGEBOARD needs ID's
Go fuck yourself.
Reddit is probably more to your tastes.
>>
IDs:

1. Help you follower conversations with multiple posters. No confusion at all. Lasts only for that thread.

2. Work like the post number counter in tracking ruse posters.

3. Singles out shitposters for your convenience. Hide/report/filter at your whim.

Concern A:
>It compromises anonymity!
How?

There is no answer.
>>
>>85003
>Vomiting /a/tard

>Goddamn, I wish I could filter this asshole.
>>
>>83146
no tb͏h
>>
>>85074
No.
>>
>>85074
>How?
1. You're not anonymous
>>
>>85111
Who am I than?
>>
>>85105
>No. I like trolling people.

And so the rain of crap continues.
You get what you deserve.

>>85111
And just try and find me beyond the thread, ass hat.
>>
>>84840
>Two reasons stand
You've failed to prove they reduce trolling. It's a canard and nothing more.
>You can *ignore* a pol poster. Or even *filter* them. If a janitor isn't around to clean up a thread, YOU do it.
Most users don't do this, so unless you also filter those who reply to them (in which case the thread becomes filled with gaps) you're still going to see the fallout.
>>
>>84832
>At least with IDs you have to back up your opinions
Where do people get this deluded idea? People make stupid posts with no supporting evidence on regular forums all of the time. People do so on /pol/ which has IDs, why would /his/ be any different?
>>
>>84902
>Do you guys really not understand the point of an anonymous imageboard
Evidently not, given half the users in this thread support IDs.
>>
This being the closest metathread I find, I welcome this new board in its extent. /int/ has had some nice discussions but this is more logical place.
>>
>>85074
>No confusion at all.
except where people samefag using their phones or change their computer's IP, which is far more frequent than confusion in reply chains.
>Work like the post number counter in tracking ruse posters.
invite people to make unwarranted accusations?
[post/ip ratio > 1? thread is full of samefags, conversation does not exist.]
>3. Singles out shitposters for your convenience. Hide/report/filter at your whim.
and end up with gaps in the conversation (and allow people to hugbox themselves by hiding all dissenting opinions.)
>>
>>85525
thanks for placing those words in my mouth.
>>
>>85621
You've failed to provide proof of any of this.

>>85701
>Lets twist this around till it's just as bad as it is now
>and allow people to hugbox
>People should never be able to communicate history in a polite way. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MEMES
Frogposter spotted.

>>85714
WHO ARE YOU EVEN? (Not that I care. No offense)
>>
>>85926
>People should never be able to communicate history in a polite way. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MEMES
this man contains so much straw that a global famine is imminent as all food producing countries have swapped to straw because the demand for straw to fill him is that far beyond the market supply that straw now outvalues even platinum.

'hugbox' in this sense does not refer to impoliteness, 'hugbox' in this sense refers to 'i'm going to filter anyone who posts evidence which contradicts my viewpoint, then act indignant when they reappear in later threads.'
>>
If anything they should remove flags from /pol/ and /sp/.
>>
>>86055
why does /sp/ even have flags.
>>
>>86074
no idea, they're irrelevant 99% of the time
>>
>>85993
"Filter" in the context of "I'm going to be able to ignore this Nazi troll"

You make such a good case, throwing the straw argument around first before anyone finds out you're doing it too.
Sieg Heil.

>>86055
/sp/ really? Wow, dumb.
>>
>>86200
>you're doing it too.
[citation needed]
>>
>>83309
OP can't bump their own threads anymore though
>>
>>85701
>Post/IP ratio > 1 = thread full of samefag
But the post/ip ratio will always be equal or higher to 1 you faggot
>>
>>89598
>But the post/ip ratio will always be equal or higher to 1 you faggot
no shit, his point was about those retards who come into a thread with say 25 IPs and 50 posts and go SURE IS SAMEFAG IN HERE :^)
>>
>72 posts
>25 posters
/his/ really does need ID's.
>>
>>83363
Agree
>>
>>89616
>>89663
Have I boarded a ruse cruise? how do I disembark from this seagoing subterfuge?
>>
>>84507
same
>>
>>83363
I'd prefer flags over ID (always), I think it's more interesting and brings more action to the discussion
>>
>>83146
No ID's, but flags would be nice.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.