[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the Celts and Germanics think of southern europeans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Celtic_Clan_Chiefs_Ancient_33.jpg (36 KB, 317x349) Image search: [Google]
Celtic_Clan_Chiefs_Ancient_33.jpg
36 KB, 317x349
What did the Celts and Germanics think of southern europeans?

What did the southerners think of the northerners?
>>
>>831321
Back when the Romans were rolling, Germanics thought southerners were big bullies, Romans though Germanics were absolute savages. Celts were barbarians but would be assimilated easily enough.

After Rome started to falter, Germanics were the big bullies and they set up protection rackets across Europe. They would come to consider themselves of a superior breed, more noble, than the workers they'd lord over.
>>
>>831354
Why are people who live in Germany cursed with a persecution and superiority complex?
>>
>>831354
Germanics always.
>>
Were the insular celts a more "pure" form of celtic culture?
>>
>>831375
>>831321
A lot of Romans southerners regarded germanics as having a very good physique and fighting skills, they were taller and more muscular than everyone else. And they were, they composed the Imperial guard of Rome.
They were also seen as being savage because they had only basic agriculture, lived in forests and had no big empire but only ever warring clans and tribes. They often raided and brutally rekt both Rome and Gaul. They developed superiority complex because of this. However, they often also lost because of internal strife, bad equipment, bad logistics, the fact that their primary tactic was running at the enemy in a big V shape, and overconfidence.
Source: comentarii de bello gallico
>>
>>832658
>Imperial guard
Sorry for that, meant to say Emperors bodyguard
>>
>>832658
>comentarii de bello gallico
>Imperial Guard
>Imperial Guard
>Imperial Guard
>>
>>832658
If it wasn't for Tiberius, Germanicus would have shown them their place.
>>
>>832675
Calm your tits just because I note one source doesn't mean everything I say Is extracted from this source or that everything has to be relevant to the time period of the source. Jesus man
>>
>>832703
Why?
>>
>>831321
infidels with a lot of gold and silver.
>>
>>831321
Germanics saw the inhabitants of the Empire as decadent and weak, perfuming themselves and garbing themselves in fine silks from the east, engaging in pathetic acts like prostration, paying taxes and going to a court that was unfair towards anyone that wasn't wealthy.
>>
>>832964

So they imitated them.
>>
>>832984
Once they entered the Empire yes. Everybody wanted a piece of it, the Roman life. It's essentially the same as migration today. None of them ever wanted it to actually fall though, nobody even thought it was possible.
>>
>>831321
In their early encounters the celts thought the romans were a tad pathetic and posturing to hide their weakness.
A Roman stabbed a Celt during a peaceful meting when he was trying to help him with his horse. The celts then attacked Rome, insulted them with reparations and laughed at them before leaving.
Of coarse though the Romans eventually got their revenge.

But the whole thing just reminds me of that meme with the Australian.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.