[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book actually any good, or is it Guns Germs and Steel tier?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
Is this book actually any good, or is it Guns Germs and Steel tier?
>>
I´ve read August 1914 by the same author. It was quite good.
>>
>implying Guns, Germs, and Steel is bad
>>
>>831260
oh fuck I´ve just realized it´s the same book. Sorry I read it in spanish.
>>
>>831265

Youre right, Its not simply bad.

Its shit.
>>
>>831270
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>831242
Dan "JUST A BUCK A SHOW" Carlin cited it and rated it highly.
>>
>>831265
It's not great, and makes some seriously sweeping generalizations. It's not bad for people just getting into history, as an example that one has to take huge numbers of factors into consideration when assessing historical events.
>>
>>831623
retarded reductionism
>>
>>831270
I don't think it's shit, but Diamond simplifies things down to level where actual facts are lost.
>>
>>831242

Haven't read the book, but I will say this:

Barbara Tuchman is a highly regarded historian by my International Relations professor, and she's written for Foreign Affairs and teaches at Columbia. She had to postpone class for two weeks because of the whole "Russia annexed Crimea" business because they needed her in an advisory role at NATO headquarters.
>>
>>831694
>. She had to postpone class for two weeks because of the whole "Russia annexed Crimea" business because they needed her in an advisory role at NATO headquarters

She died in 1989, so that is pure bullshit
>>
>>831723
he's probably referring to his international relations professor.
>>
>>831723

My professor did, not Tuchman.
>>
I quite enjoyed it.
>>
>>831733
>>831735

Shit, my bad. It's 6:30, so my reading comprehension sucks
>>
>>831807
the posters wording was partially ambiguous, such an error is completely understandable.
>>
>>831265

Overhyped is probably a better word, it really doesnt deliver anything new aside from a worldview that attempts to simply apologize.
>>
>>831807
it's not you, it's the English language
>>
>>831629
He also cited GGnS and praised it.
>>
>>831867

Anaphora ambiguities due to semantic gender have nothing to do with English itself.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.