[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to read the Bible, as it is an important Western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1430280089035.png (456 KB, 723x649) Image search: [Google]
1430280089035.png
456 KB, 723x649
I'd like to read the Bible, as it is an important Western text.

It looks like NRSV is the best translation.

Can /his/ give me recommendations? My mom suggested the Navarre edition, but that might be too expensive.

I was a philosophy major in college.
>>
Orthodox NT is the most literal (I'm not just memeing, you can tell because it doesn't translate "presbyter" as "priest", but as "elder", so it's clearly not biased), but there is not Orthodox translation of the OT yet.

NRSV is very good. NKJV and KJV are also very solid. Pretty much any mainstream translation apart from those is terrible, they are either heavily Catholic biased, heavily Protestant biased, or liberal, or some other agenda. I'm not trying to say those don't have agendas, but they are very minimal compared to the rest, and the NRSV definitely is done in good faith.
>>
>>825539
Whoops, correction. RSV is done in good faith. NSRV is complete garbage, do NOT touch it. It uses a very contextual translation which allowed the translators to force their exegesis into the text. RSV is great though.
>>
>>825539
>(I'm not just memeing, you can tell because it doesn't translate "presbyter" as "priest", but as "elder", so it's clearly not biased)
Why isn't this done more often?
>>
>>825545
Because the English word "priest" literally comes from"presbyter". The Orthodox translation uses "elder" though, preferring to use "priest" for the function that Jewish priesthood had, etc. All believers are priests, not all believers are presbyters.
>>
>>825544
Oh, and if you want an extensively annotated Hebrew Bible, consider Robert Alter's translation. He aims for a contemporary "literary" translation,while at the same time trying to be as faithful as possible.
>>
>>825520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V006bX4mlu4&list=PLfbxB0kKayCQ2Hf6JlCCDN6z47ySYxsCW

Here's a good Yale course on the Hebrew Bible. There's another one for the New Testament that I haven't watched it yet.
>>
>>825539
>KJV
Kek
>>
>>825974
Here's an Orthodox podcast dealing with it (the woman is qualified and teaches it for a living)
http://orthodoxbiblestudy.info/
>>
>>825990
>>825552
>>825539
Daily reminder that the Orthodox are going against the council of Carthage
>>
>>825987
KJV is better than most. It's not the best, but it is easily in the top 5%, and if you disagree with that,then you just haven't read the many horrible, horrible translations out there. You should read Robert Alter's words on the KJV
>>
>>825994
How?
>>
>>826000
Using OT books rejected at the council
>>
>>826007
Seems like a small nitpick, unless you're saying those books are heretical. I say small because the council wasn't every recognized as ecumenical, just a general synod.
>>
>>826016
Calling apocrypha Sacred Scripture is heresy especially when you claim to accept said ruling
>>
>>826022
The synod never says those books are heretical. I accept all the books the council lists as Scripture, but not dogmatically. We don't have a dogmatic canon, we never have, and never will. Different Orthodox Churches have different numbers of books in their OT.
>>
>>826035
t. heretic
>>
>>826045
How? Dogma is, and only can ever be, what was passed down by Christ. Christ never passed down a canon.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.