[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones can not bear it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 1433786473608.jpg (173 KB, 1025x757) Image search: [Google]
1433786473608.jpg
173 KB, 1025x757
>Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones can not bear it for long; only men endure.

Your vote for the worse single battle in human history?
>>
>>825241

Do sieges count?
>>
Leningrad was pretty horrible.
>>
Verdun
>>
>>825241
First Battle of Ypres or Battle of Passchendaele
>>
the one that kills you ;)
>>
>>825973
Seconded
>>
>>825241
Pick pretty much anything from the Assyrian top ten.
>>
File: l_04.jpg (309 KB, 991x711) Image search: [Google]
l_04.jpg
309 KB, 991x711
>>825973

This, any other answer is wrong. At least Volgograd is a thriving, inhabitable town today. The battlefield of Verdun is completely uninhabitable, and still bears the scars of conflict.
>>
Stalingrad is such a meme battle
>>
How do you define a "single battle"? Is the siege of Leningrad "a single battle"? Is the nine months campaign at Verdun "a single battle"? The half a year in Stalingrad?
>>
>>827060
It's the most deadly battle fought in a city, ever.
>>
>>827084
Doesn't make horrible
>>
>>826020
Wins easily indeed , a hundred years later farmes still find unexploded shells in the fields
>>
>>826308
>Verdun used to be one of the richest counties of France
>Ever since the middle ages it was essential and wars were fought for it
>Today, the french farmers can't even grow crops on Verdun's soil because it's full of lead and shit
>>
>>827092
Nigga
>>
>>827060
>>827092
Over 15,000 combatants died every day over about 162 days of fighting

That is not including civilians caught in the crossfire, an estimated 90-95% of the non evacuated civilian population perished in the city
>>
The Rape of Nanking. Tho it wasn't exactly a battle, more of an invasion.
>>
>>827980
Jap pls
>>
>>827104
I fucking find duds when digging in my grannys garden, thats nothing fucking special in europe, nigguh
despite the fact that I am from place where scarcely any major conflict was fought.

>Verdun wins easily. t b h
>>
>>828260
You're probably still shooting duds at your age nigger.
>>
>>826308
>muh boms
>muh loud explosionz
>>
Siege of Leningrad while not a battle was repulsive but strangely amazing when you look at the details.

As far as other battles I'd need to go back home to see if I can find a certain book, Furies 1400-1750 is pretty amazing on the topic of old war crimes.

Also everyone should read the Sack of Rome.
>>
>>825241
Cannae, but only if you were a Roman.
>>
>>826308
nigga i bet that shit haunted
>>
File: verdun.jpg (177 KB, 500x704) Image search: [Google]
verdun.jpg
177 KB, 500x704
>>826308
>>825973
>>827152
>>
>>830214
Battle of arausio was a lot worse for Rome, they didn't lose to an organized world power as in cannae, bit to migrating tribes of mostly non-combatant proto-germans. Totally humiliating for Rome. Also watching your entire army flee and 300000 hairy barbarions charging your way on one side and a river you can't swim in would be pretty terrifying
>>
>>826308
>>830334
>what kind landscape you want senpai
>>
>>830497
Just gas my shit up.
>>
>>827092
It was pretty horrible. Accounts of cannibalism, officers would kill their own diseased men instead of letting them die in battle.
>>
>>825973
what is a good source (documentary, book) to learn more about this?
>>
>>830474
there is batte between rome and sassanians where sassanians killed 60,000 romans soldiers

sassanians soldiers were like 20,000 or maybe less
>>
>>825241
>>825973
meme tier
>>
>>830981
Do you mean Carrhae, aka when Crassus got rekt?
>>
>“I died in hell (They called it Passchendaele)”

>In the weeks before the battle, the British bombarded the area with shells, wiping out entire villages but somehow, not the powerful German defence. The first day of the attack coincided with the heaviest rainfall in many years. The battlefield, already churned up by relentless shellfire, was transformed into a sea of stinking mud in which many soldiers drowned before they even fired a shot. Those who attempted to help their friends sinking in the mud to their deaths would find themselves pulled in, and one death would become two before anyone could do anything.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.