[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things plebs say
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1
File: unimpressed mozart.jpg (34 KB, 485x350) Image search: [Google]
unimpressed mozart.jpg
34 KB, 485x350
>"Hurr durr Freud was just a sex-crazed pervert"
No... He was genuinely one of the greatest thinkers of the century. Psychology is just way hard, man.

>"Camus was right"
No... Absurdism is just babbys first existentialist realization.

>"Hedonism means I should take heroin, fuck prostitutes and eat candy all day"
Oh boy-
>>
no m8 you're the pleb, Freud was wrong and had little to no scientific basis not to mention he fabricated a lot of his "findings" while hedonism is a philosophy for pigs.
>>
>>822279
Doesn't matter all of them are spooks anyways.
>>
>>822287
Agree about Freud. He was just a pervert that took his "theories" out of his ass.

Hedonism is indeed a philosophy for pigs.
>>
>>822279

But I enjoy fucking prostitutes, taking heroin and eating candy, why ruin it for me?
>>
>>822314
This is low IQ hedonism.

A high IQ hedonist would be temperate.
>>
>>822321
Hear hear
>>
>>822321
Why? You're basically saying he should maximize pleasure in moderation.
>>
>>822279
Absurdism is right though.
>>
>>822287
>>822300

Freud was right about a LOT of things. Do you know what you're talking about?
>>
>>822321

I'm not too hot or too cold though, thank you for asking.
>>
>>822332
#YOLO hedonism is low IQ. A smart Hedonist would not take Heroin because he knows taking it will bring more pain than pleasure.

He is still a worthless pig. But a smarter pig than a #YOLO hedonist.
>>
>>822346
How about give us some examples then friendo.
>>
>>822346
We took the theory about subconscious from him, that's what I know about.
>>
>>822279
>freud
more like fraud
>>
>>822346
Freud was a fraud. There is almost nothing of value in what he wrote?
Do you think his idea of Oedipus complex has any merit?
>>
>>822377
Freud did SO much more than oedipus complex.
Have you actually read him? Or have any knowledge about modern psychology?
He's to psychology what Adam Smith is for economics
>>
>>822279
Ok guess Im a pleb then. Care to enlighten me and explain why the third point isnt true?
>>
>>822388
Two words: "net pleasure"
>>
>>822364
His theory about it was crap.

>>822384
No, he isn't the Adam Smith of psychology. I would say he wasn't even the Marx of psychology. Freudian psychology is like Humorism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/weekinreview/25cohen.html?_r=0
>>
>>822384
> He's to psychology what Adam Smith is for economics

So he's someone discarded by people that actually study or work professionally in the field. What the fuck are you even trying to argue.

I know for a fact that you don't have any knowledge about modern psychology because he's never mentioned as much more than a side-note by basically everyone.

Freud's biggest impact in modern psychology and it's implications was having Jung as a student and trough Jung giving us the god-awful Myers-Briggs that wasn't even developed by people studying psychology outside of their private amateur bookclubs.
>>
Psychology is the alchemy of the 20th century, and the only good alchemist of the 20th century was Jung.
>>
>>822425
>le STEM face
>>
>>822395
>>822390
>>822377
>>822374
You don't know what you're talking about. Freud singlehandely expanded the field of psychological science to where it is today. It's on the fucking wikipedia page, do yourself a favor and self-educate.
>>
>>822432
> Reffering to wikipedia
I didn't expect this to be bait before you asked people to visit wikipedia. Ya blew it/10.
>>
>>822428
Wrong, history and philosophy.
>>
>>822452
>you referred to wikipedia so I am technically right
what a nig-nog-egg-nogg
>>
>>822452
What's wrong with wikipedia? That wasn't bait.
>>
>>822452
Faggottttt
>>
>>822432
You are talking out of your ass. Psychological science is not even an unified field.
For example, Social psychologists and evolutionary psychologists hate the shit out of each other and have nothing to do with Freud.
>>
>>822484
>evolutionary psychologists
meme field filled with literal fedoras
>>
>>822488
>Evolutionary psychology (EP) is a theoretical approach in the social and natural sciences that examines psychological structure from a modern evolutionary perspective. It seeks to identify which human psychological traits are evolved adaptations – that is, the functional products of natural selection or sexual selection in human evolution. Adaptationist thinking about physiological mechanisms, such as the heart, lungs, and immune system, is common in evolutionary biology.
>>
>>822488
How is this relevant to what I said? Evolutionary Psychologists being bad or not do not make Psychology any more unified.
>>
>>822493
why are you quoting this?

>>822495
it's not a real field and should not be taken seriously or factored in the equation
>>
>Freud was wrong
Jesus give the guy a break, they didnt have brain scans and shit back then, he did well with what he had.
>>
>>822497
>it's not a real field and should not be taken seriously or factored in the equation

at least you're in the right thread
>itt-things-plebs-say
>>
>>822467
>>822472
>>822477

I've a bachelor of science in sociology and social psychology and I can tell you that one of the first thing you'll notice is that everything on wikipedia is utterly useless and basically written versions of Crashcourse videos. You'll learn that you're more or less forced to use your books along with whatever articles your university give you access to. This is also how I know you faggots don't have any formal education in the subject whatsoever.
>>
>>822497
So why should evolutionary game theory (which has been applied successfully to other species) not be taken seriously in regards to psychology?
>>
>>822497
>it's not a real field and should not be taken seriously or factored in the equation

And Freud's bullshit theories are?

Besides, there are plenty of other fields in psychology other than evo and social psych.
>>
>>822505
Sociology.

Oh I get it.
>>
>>822389
What is that obsession with "pleasure" anyway? We dont become strong by indulging in pleasures, but by willingly seeking pain and pride ourselves in overcoming it. Thats how growth comes about.I guess you could argue theres pleasure there too, but its a by-effect. The problem is when you deliberately seek pleasure as an end in itself, just for the sake of it, and thats the same as the examples of hedonism you just gave.
>>
>>822525
I don't think "seeking pain" is necessary, but I agree that deliberately seeking pleasure as an end in itself is a bad life strategy.
>>
>>822532
True. "seeking pain" might be a little excessive. I think its all about having a project in life beyond ones own selfish interests. The problem is that nobody seem to agree today on what path we should go, so each just resign themselves to a decadent lifestyle...
>>
>>822389
>utilitarianism
>>>/suicide/
>>
>>822525
>We dont become strong by indulging in pleasures, but by willingly seeking pain and pride ourselves in overcoming it
you want to overcome plain because it gives you pleasing thoughts and sensations.
why do you want pleasure and avoid plains ? because you take them seriously, because you identify through them.=> what you feel and think is ''you''.
>>
>>822639
Sorry I dont think Im quite following you here...
>>
>>822350
Why does it have to bring pain? Just use it till you die. Don't follow the slave morality. It something gives you the feeling of power (drugs can do this), do it. Don't mind the silly consequences. Be the Übermensch.
>>
>>822703
*If
>>
>>822287
A lot of the shit Freud wrote was based off of "muh gut feelings" but he was undeniably a huge positive influence on the field given the amount of inarguably good psychologists who cite him.

>hedonism is a philosophy for pigs
pleb as fuck
>>
>>822703
>just do it bro
>doing drugs is equal to being an übermensch
we've got a retard here
>>
>>822711
Not per se. It can be sports, video games, politics, drugs. ANYTHING that gives you the feeling of power and personal glory
>>
>>822716
You are literally describing the last man.
>I just want to feel good
>>
>>822505
It's great for giving an overview and first impression, especially in math, science and possibly languages.
Too bad other subjects can't agree to something as easily as the above.
>>
>>822279
Freud is the heinrich schliemann of psychology
>>
>>822505
You can get a science degree in sociology? What a joke.
>>
>>822719
What is so shitty about that?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.