[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've read that the crusades were never considered a major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (392 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
392 KB, 500x572
I've read that the crusades were never considered a major threat by the Muslim world and they don't cover it in depth in their own histories- is that accurate?
>>
>>821350
Well, Salahadin continued to conquer North Africa. The Holy Lands were just the Stalingrad of the jihad these days.

I wonder whether the Ottmans were so in first place or if they've just adopted the Greek culture of Constaninople.
>>
You gotta understand, for us Muslims the crusades were like a bullied group of autists who showed up with a big plan to shoot up a school over some old slight only to have their guns fail them so they start stabbing each other

The MONGOLS were fucking horrifying though
>>
>>821350
Kind of. It's more a case that the Crusades weren't distinguished from any other sort of Western or Eastern Christian threat, and Western historians like to categorize these things to the point where people start missing the forest for the trees.

The specific campaigns of specific years by specific Frankish princes didn't get as much press as they obviously did in Europe. But the Muslims did consider Franks overall as a major threat for their conquests in Sicily, Spain, North Africa, and their pirate raids on the eastern Mediterranean.
>>
>>821375
This
>>
>>821350
well.....why would you care about the 11th century when the west has been so busy in the last few hundred years.
>>
>>821400
>/his/
>why do you care about history
>>
>>821417
point is recent history has been more important m8.
>>
>>821425
If you take out Crusades threads and Roman threads, that's like half of this board's traffic.
>>
>>821425
>more recent history was caused by older history
>thinking that more recent history is more important
These aren't really compatible.
>>
I dunno. Conquering what the entire region considered to be a holy land from 1000 miles away is pretty impressive. And they held it for 200 years. Also its not like crusader battles were minor scuffles. Those were serious wars.
>>
File: Battle_of_Zenta_by_Engerth_A..jpg (159 KB, 901x628) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_Zenta_by_Engerth_A..jpg
159 KB, 901x628
>>821434
nope, there's a break between the crusades and modern christian/muslim history....oh look it's Prince Eugene.
>>
>>821441
truth is there's a major break between price Eugene and modern history.
>>
much more pressing concerns in the East
>>
The Crusades weren't very big to them.
>People's Crusade
Muslims defeated easily
>First Crusade
They take Jerusalem and some other states. Still not huge but now Muslims don't think they are fuck offs
>Second Crusade
It is starting to turn into a back and forth with certain territories.
>German Crusade
Failed
>Third Crusade
More back and forth territory skirmishes. Muslim leaders do have respect for Crusader leaders though not a huge threat.
>Fourth Crusade
Didn't even go to the Muslims
>>
>>821375
yeah they even fucked us turks up for a while
>>
The Crusades are a footnote in Muslim history until the 19th century in which Muslim scholars latched onto the crusades as a way to rally support to cast the western powers out and form centralized nation states. That resentment of the hostile (I dont think it was even a century) of being squatted on by crusaders is still used today to recruit suicide bombers to blow themselves up to harm western "crusaders" like baby Bush
>>
>>821375
>Implying Mongols are a bigger threat than drones
America here, the Mideast is our bitch. Suck it euroniggers
>America did in a decade what Europe couldn't in half a millennium
>>
>>821350
I was watching a documentary and one of the muslims on the show was saying that the crusades have left a scar in the muslim world even to this day.

Checks out since they're reffering to NATO as crusaders to invoke fear and dread and hatred in muslims toward NATO.

Ingore the horribly asspained dunecoons ITT going "lol what crusades, i-it was n-nothing, like a fly buzzing past me l-lol"
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.