[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diogenes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Bastein-Lepage_Diogenes.jpg (755 KB, 1800x1442) Image search: [Google]
Bastein-Lepage_Diogenes.jpg
755 KB, 1800x1442
Did there really exist a filthy, disgusting man who masturbated in public, made a mockery of all that was holy, made a public nuisance of himself, and yet was so well respected that Alexander the Great begged to meet him?
>>
i guess
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 347x145) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 347x145
>>820574
Sorry wrong picture
>>
Studying ancient history is such a horrible job becuse you never know what percentage of the information you read in chronicles is bullshit. Studying daily life of people back then is fine but details about famous events and individuals? Useless.
But there was Diogenes the Dog. Hence the name of the school: cynics.
>>
File: Diogenes.jpg (65 KB, 555x503) Image search: [Google]
Diogenes.jpg
65 KB, 555x503
Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in
the world, there is only one ‘idea’ of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.
“I can see the cup on the table,” interrupted Diogenes, “but I can’t see the ‘cupness’.”
"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect
with which to comprehend ‘cupness’.”
Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"
Plato nodded.
“Where is the ‘emptiness’ which precedes this empty cup?” asked Diogenes.
Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger,
said “I think you will find here is the ‘emptiness’.”

Some strangers to Athens once asked Diogenes if he would point out to them the great philosopher [meaning Plato]. Diogenes
looked around and then led them to the most deserted part of the city and, gesturing to the empty air as one would in formal
introduction, said, “May I present to you the great philosopher Plato.”

Often when he was begging, Diogenes would be spat on by the people who passed him. Diogenes would ignore this and simply
wipe his face with his sleeve. When ridiculed for his passive behaviour, Diogenes said, “Since men endure being wetted by the sea
in order to net a mere herring, should I not endure being sprinkled to net my dinner?”

Diogenes was asked, “What is the difference between life and death?”
“No difference.”
“Well then, why do you remain in this life?”
“Because there is no difference.”

“It’s my fate to steal,” pleaded the man who had been caught red-handed by Diogenes.
“Then it is also your fate to be beaten,” said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
>>
>>820624
>Diogenes was asked, “What is the difference between life and death?”
>“No difference.”
>“Well then, why do you remain in this life?”
>“Because there is no difference.”
Kek, good one diogenes
>>
>>820624
>Some strangers to Athens once asked Diogenes if he would point out to them the great philosopher [meaning Plato]. Diogenes looked around and then led them to the most deserted part of the city and, gesturing to the empty air as one would in formal introduction, said, “May I present to you the great philosopher Plato.”

I don't get this one
>>
>>821044
It's not supposed to make sense. It's just Diogenes being a madman and shitting on Plato.
>>
>You will shit on all of Plato's ideas.
>>
>>820624
I guess philosophy really is a worthless subject
>>
How long before the Stoic revolution, comrade?
>>
>>820574

kinda like pewdiepie if you think about it
>>
more Diogenes stories pls
>>
Diogenes was invented hundreds of years after he supposedly lived to provide a counterpoint to the philosophies of Plato and Socrates. He's literally a meme philosopher.
>>
>>821963
doesn't prevent me from kekking heartily at stories about him.
>>
>>820624
>“It’s my fate to steal,” pleaded the man who had been caught red-handed by Diogenes.
>“Then it is also your fate to be beaten,” said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.

kek
>>
>>821963

Yes anyone who I never met in person is obviously made up and didn't exist.

Faggot.
>>
>>821991
There are contemporary documents and accounts that verify that Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc. were real people and real philosophers. The first documented appearance of Diogenes was written hundreds of years after he lived. I'm not saying that no ancient Greek philosophers existed, I'm saying THIS particular ancient Greek philosopher probably didn't actually exist. Why so butthurt?
>>
>>821999
Diogenes reminds me a lot of the Turkish character, Nasreddin Hodja, who was most likely a real person at some point but people made up a hundred stories about him over the centuries.
So probably all of the anecdotes about Diogenes were invented and accepted because they sound like something Diogenes might have said.
>>
>>822094
So kind of like a Chuck Norris situation? I guess I could buy that.
>>
>>822094
Case in point:

Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
"I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids [spiritual seekers]; I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
"How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
"That’s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"

Switch the Islamic terms for Greek ones and you have an anecdote tailor-made for Diogenes.
>>
>>821044
>>821066

Or it could be a passive aggressive way of saying Plato aint shit.
>>
>>820574
>a filthy, disgusting man who masturbated in public, made a mockery of all that was holy, made a public nuisance of himself
This literally just sounds like the average 4channer.
>>
>>820624
I have a hard time believing that Diogenes lived long enough to banter with Plato and meet adult Alexander.
>>
>>822103
Four more hoja stores are required
>>
>>821963
>Diogenes was invented hundreds of years after he supposedly lived

No, you're thinking of Jesus
>>
>>820624
Thought the beginning was one of those "a homosexual liberal Muslim professor was giving a lecture" copypastas at first
>>
>>822318
An illiterate man received a letter from Persia, and asked Nasreddin to read it. "I'm sorry," said Nasreddin, "I don't know any Farsi, and besides the handwriting is almost illegible."
"Aren't you ashamed?" scoffed the man. "You, who wear a scholar's robes and turban, can't even read a simple letter?"
Nasreddin angrily removed his turban and pressed it onto the man's head. "There, see if it can help you read it."
>>
>>822841
>Nasreddin angrily removed his turban and pressed it onto the man's head. "There, see if it can help you read it."

lol

This guy would probably join the slutwalk desu senpai

>just cuz am wearin' something don't mean i'm askin' for it!

>>822654
You gotta respect our Lord Jesus though for creating this much butthurt where people will deny His existence even today.
>>
A neighbour came to the gate of Mulla Nasreddin's yard. The Mulla went to meet him outside.
"Would you mind, Mulla," the neighbour asked, "lending me your donkey today? I have some goods to transport to the next town."
The Mulla didn't feel inclined to lend out the animal to that particular man, however. So, not to seem rude, he answered:
"I'm sorry, but I've already lent him to somebody else."
All of a sudden the donkey could be heard braying loudly behind the wall of the yard.
"But Mulla," the neighbour exclaimed. "I can hear it behind that wall!"
"Whom do you believe," the Mulla replied indignantly, "the donkey or your Mulla?

-Iskaral Pust.
>>
>https://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/History/Ancient/alexander.html

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalanos

Plutarch records that when first invited to meet Alexander, Kalanos "roughly commanded him to strip himself and hear what he said naked, otherwise he would not speak a word to him, though he came from Jupiter himself." Kalanos refused the rich gifts offered by Alexander saying that man's desire cannot be satisfied by such gifts. They believed that, even if Alexander killed them, "they would be delivered from the body of flesh now afflicted with age and would be translated to a better and purer life." Alexander's representative Onesicritus had a discussion with several sages and Alexander was attracted by the criticism on Greek Philosophy by Kalanos. Alexander persuaded Kalanos to accompany him to Persis and stay with him as one of his teachers. Alexander even hinted use of force to take him to his country, to which Kalanos replied philosophically, that "what shall I be worth to you, Alexander, for exhibiting to the Greeks if I am compelled to do what I do not wish to do?" Kalanos lived as a teacher to Alexander and represented "eastern honesty and freedom".
>>
File: breaking-news(2).png (321 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
breaking-news(2).png
321 KB, 640x360
>>820574
>>
>>820574
Diogenes was a cool guy and we should all follow his teachings t b h
>>
>>823964
>"absolute madman"

kek
>>
>>821999
You know the earliest account of Julius Caesar was written 300 years after his death right? Did he not exist aswell? You the majority of things written down are lost to time right?
>>
Overrated as fuck desu.

Some real good points on simple living and the fucking absurdity of society, but not really too much else.

>lol what is the form of emptiness your face playdoh XDXD

>muh barrel
>p-please give me food
>>
>>822302

Why? Aristotle did.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.