[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how could austria hungary even exist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: europe mapce.gif (324 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
europe mapce.gif
324 KB, 1280x1024
how could austria hungary even exist
>>
Habsburg Family did a lot of fukkin
>>
>>819994
indeed, and where are they now ?
>>
>>820003
history
>>
File: pranks that went wrong.png (480 KB, 700x441) Image search: [Google]
pranks that went wrong.png
480 KB, 700x441
>>819994
Their obsession of huge complicated arms and their house blobbing all over Europe gets on my nerves somehow
>>
>>820165
>prank that went wrong

lol
>>
>>819979

>Habsburg claim to the throne
>reliance on each other against the Ottomans/Russians
>multiple failed attempts of secession on Hungary's part
>>
I honestly don't know why Austria/Habsburgs gets so much hate

They're honestly a really interesting country/family
>>
>>821910
>>multiple failed attempts of secession on Hungary's part

To be fair Hungary totally had the chance to seceed from Austria in 1866, the supporters of the Monarchy (Deak and his supporters) and the opposition (Kossuth and his supporters) was around 50-50%.
>>
>>821914

There is something insidious about them.

They've built their empire by breeding like rabbits and marrying everyone. Extensive inbreeding deformed them both physically and mentally. Despite their power, they seemed like shiveling weaklings with an atrocious military record, whose allies won their wars for them.

As a Hungarian, it drives me mad, how we. Just. Couldn't. Get. Rid. Of. Them.
>>
>>822005
>atrocious military record
>who is prince eugene of savoy
>>
>>822005
They built an empire through diplomacy and not war

The inbreeding probably has more to do with issues of succession, the Duchies that eventually became Austria was constantly split up between various branches of the family.

Their poor military record is kinda a meme but being diplomatic in nature means you don't need to rely on your army if you've got good allies

As a Hungarian you should honestly be thankful, they kinda saved you from having a fucked up country full of religious and ethnic minorities
>>
>>822014

He did good.

But the whole Turkish war wouldn't have been possible if the Poles didn't save their asses in 1683, and French were defeated by extensive British help.

>>822017

They were obviously a successful dynasty, but there is just something about them that disgusts me.

>As a Hungarian you should honestly be thankful, they kinda saved you from having a fucked up country full of religious and ethnic minorities

Really now? How? They played an instrumental part in settling Slavs and Germans here.
>>
>>819979
Nice GroB-Germanium Reich m8, did you do it all by yourself?
>>
>>822070
>Nobility of Hungary has been French/German since the 1300s
>I-It was the Habsburgs!

Habsburg resettlement of Germans in the Balkans was simple really, you've got all this land depopulated from the wars with the Turks and you've got all these German men in your army
so you reward your soldiers with land, increases the eco output of the area and means you don't need to pay your army as much + levies closer to the border with the Ottomans

Hungary has always been close to Germans/Slavs

When I was talking about minorities I meant religious and foreign, you guys avoided 30 yrs war nonsense and something similar to Yugoslavia ethnic purges
>>
>>822101

>When I was talking about minorities I meant religious and foreign, you guys avoided 30 yrs war nonsense

The wars with the Turks devastated the country and changed demographics just as much as the 30 years war did.

>and something similar to Yugoslavia ethnic purges

The country fucking broke up, and the successor states immediately started thinking about how to get rid of their Hungarians. Tens of thousands were slaughtered in Vojvodina, and deported from Slovakia after WW2.
>>
You're not saying Hungary should have accepted annexation under Ottoman rule are you?

your minorities in other countries were treated like shit but at least you didn't have Hungarians killing each other over what religion they followed

People always say Hungary got messed up from their partition but if it didn't happen things would have been worse, you've got a mostly catholic/atheist mostly Hungarian country

imagine if ended up like bosnia
>>
>>822129

No one would complain if at least the Hungarian majority territories still belonged to us.
>>
>>822129
I think the biggest offense of trianon is the border-cities. Arad, Nagyvarad, Komárom, Szabadka (Subotica), hell even Poszony (Bratislava) etc. all majorly hungarian (german-hungarian) cities (in 1920), only cut off because off greed.

If those stayed it would be still a pretty shit treaty, but at least culture would be preserved in these places, and it would mean a lot more agricultural land, and around 1 million less hungarians would had stayed outside the borders.
>>
>>822101
>Nobility of Hungary has been French/German since the 1300s
Nobility was always, always Hungarian (and Croat), only the ruling dynasties had foreign origin after the Árpád house died out paternally.

>you guys avoided 30 yrs war nonsens
Oh good we only got 150 years of Ottoman wars, such a great deal.
>>
>>822005

So ignorant it hurts

>They've built their empire by breeding like rabbits and marrying everyone.

Not really true. Breeding like rabbits tend to weaken dynasties, since the inheritance is divided and you end up with many civil wars.

The Habsburgs have risen due to the ability of Rudolf I.

Also, their strength during the era of Frederick III, Maximilian and Charles V is not that they married everyone. It is that they married well.

Frederick III was not very powerful, even if he had the best title in Europe.
He married his only son Maximilian to the richest heiress of Europe, giving him Burgundy.

Maximilian I married his only son to the heir of the Spanish Monarchs (ensuring Charles V would be the most powerful Western European monarch since Charlemagne) and his second grandson to the heir of Hungary and Bohemia (making him a power of his own).

Charles V married the Princess of Portugal, with led to his son becoming King of Portugal.

Notice that... Frederick III only had one son. Maximilian I only had one son. Maximilian's son only had two sons.

The Habsburgs didn't bred like rabbits.

>Extensive inbreeding deformed them both physically and mentally. Despite their power, they seemed like shiveling weaklings with an atrocious military record, whose allies won their wars for them.

That's not always true. If you look at the ancestors of Charles V, he was not really inbred.

And there have been plenty of capable Habsburgs. John of Austria was very capable, for instance.

Also, given how much they intermarried, the Habsburgs and the Bourbons were pretty much the same family after the inbreeding began. And the Bourbons were generally capable.
>>
File: 1405350058630.jpg (77 KB, 672x701) Image search: [Google]
1405350058630.jpg
77 KB, 672x701
>>822417
>Yeah man we shouldn't have fought dem Ottomans they were good boys they dindu nuffin it was all dem inbred Austrians starting shit how dare they assist their neighbors push back a foreign mmuslim invader and assist their allies, hungary was fine under the turk, fucking habsburg ruins everything
>>
>>822517
I havent implied that anywhere you projecting retard.
>>
>>819979
>Germany expands like a tumor across europe
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.