[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pantheism thread. As an atheist I'm especially confused
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: b9ef752dfc8541.jpg (24 KB, 236x317) Image search: [Google]
b9ef752dfc8541.jpg
24 KB, 236x317
Pantheism thread.
As an atheist I'm especially confused by pantheism. My understanding is that everything defined as God and given unspecific "spiritual" attributes, in other words atheism with meaningless woo woo draped on top of it.

Did I get anything wrong? Why are you a pantheist?
>>
>woo woo
Dropped.
>>
>>819581
Would you prefer doo doo?
>>
>>819573
hi every1 im new!!!!!!! *holds up toroidal field* my name is katy but u can call me t3h 4TL4nt1aN oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol...as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me ^_^... im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch spirit science w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite science show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol...neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!

DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again ^_^ hehe...toodles!!!!!

love and namaste,

* ~t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m~*
>>
>>819573
I'll explain it in the most logical, autistic terms possible.

Mona Lisa is a painting
Kraftwerk is music
Space Jam is a movie
Zelda is a video game

All 4 of them are also art.

Bob is a person
A planet is rock
Knowledge is an idea

All 3 of them are also God.

If you can't grasp the significance of this than you legitimately have severe limitations
>>
>>819746
I understand the basic concept, but adding the label "God" to everything seems to suck all meaning out of the word. If everything is God because God is defined as everything, how is that any different from atheism? Pantheism appears to lack any deeper meaning to me
>>
>>819917
Think about how the word "art" enhances something by making everything a part of it.

For instance people feel video games art enhanced when all of them are "art"

The concept of the pantheistic God, and this is true for all cultures that developed the concept independently of each other, is that God is a relationship between the universal and the singular. Just like "Zelda" and "video game" or "art" is a relationship between a singular object and a universal concept that transcends all objects.
>>
>>820078
'art' and 'video games' have defined qualities beyond being a set of their components.

What are the qualities of the pantheistic God besides containing everything?
>>
>>819746
space jam and zelda arent art.
they're just media
>>
>>820093
Pantheism is an umbrella term. Just like each monotheism is going to have their own properties they put forth each pantheism is going to vary: Spinoza is not the same as Hindusim
>>
>>820093
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pantheism/
>>
>>819746
>All 3 of them are also God.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (15 KB, 206x245) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
15 KB, 206x245
>>820227
>>
File: spinoza.jpg (17 KB, 240x291) Image search: [Google]
spinoza.jpg
17 KB, 240x291
>>820143
>>819917
This desu senpai

Spinoza's God isn't actually a God, per se. Spinoza called it Deus sive natura. 'God or Nature'. For him, everything is an expression(mode) of the single existing substance, which he calls God. Spinoza doesn't characterize his pantheism as there being a spooky old guy who is inside of everything, but rather that God just is everything.

His view has some fun implications, like how this is the best possible world, and that good and evil don't exist. Instead, they're just subjective interpretations of the phenomena that exists in Nature.
>>
>>820078
this is exactly why I don't think pantheism makes sense. it's just using God as a buzzword
>>
>>820231
see
>>820229
>>820230
>>
>>820078
Would it be roughly accurate to compare the pantheistic God to love?

The way I see it is neither God nor love are physically out there, many people throughout history experience it, it's experienced differently by different cultures, and it can make people do stupid things. It's a rough analogy but it works for the most part. The way an individual experiences God or love is shaped by the environment they live in.
>>
>>820293
except that we all have a clear idea of what love is. the pantheistic God is everything and thus is nothing in any meaningful sense. It's the same as calling my dog a cat because I've defined dog as cat. there is nothing technically wrong with it, but why the fuck would I?
>>
>>819573
A worm is god. You are god. You are the same as the worm.
>>
>>819664
plz be in london
>>
>>820293
Love can be explained in idealistic terms. There are several concepts of pantheism that have God expressed in idealistic terms like Hegels.

But again you don't realize pantheism is an umbrella term with many different systems there were developed independently of each other. Saying "explain the pantheism God to me" is about as stupid as saying "explain the polytheistic pantheon to me"
>>
>>819573
Pantheism is an absurd ideology because it states that everything is God. Feces and negroes are part of everything. Therefore feces and negroes are God, which is absurd. Pantheism refuted.
>>
>>820646
But God itself is absurd
>>
>not being a panentheist
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.