[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly are "German" people? How culturally distinct
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: >H>R>E.png (304 KB, 513x428) Image search: [Google]
>H>R>E.png
304 KB, 513x428
What exactly are "German" people?

How culturally distinct were the constituent regions of this abomination prior to the 18th century?

I'm asking this on /his/ rather than /int/ because I want to discuss the question from a historical perspective.
>>
>>819363
The HRE was a hodgepodge of languages, cultures and peoples.
>>
>What exactly are "German" people?

More like, "what exactly are the German 'people'?"
>>
>Holy
>>
>>819387
I should have clarified, I was referring primarily to the Germanic-speaking regions.
>>
>Wuz
>>
File: HRR_1400 copy 2.png (4 MB, 3715x3966) Image search: [Google]
HRR_1400 copy 2.png
4 MB, 3715x3966
That pic is a mere shadow of the 'abomination'. Take this
>>
>>819363
>HRE
>abomination
You're a fag, OP.
>>
File: greater germany.gif (75 KB, 800x545) Image search: [Google]
greater germany.gif
75 KB, 800x545
>>819363
>>
>German
>People
>>
>>819363
Usually considered the ones who's mothertongue is german and the corresponding regions
And parts of Elsaß-Lothringen to piss of the french
>>
File: Fieri.gif (2 MB, 325x235) Image search: [Google]
Fieri.gif
2 MB, 325x235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ztOV2wrrkY
>>
Germany is a geographical construct.
Sure the so called Germanic peoples might have a lot in common but if you really put your mind to it, the Danish and Bradenburgian have more in common among themselves, and the Bavarians have more in common with the Austrians and Swiss, than the Bavarians have in common with Bradenburg.
>>
File: 1.jpg (57 KB, 445x459) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
57 KB, 445x459
>>820672
>>
>>820672
This is pretty much all you need to know.
>>
File: HREEEEEEEE.png (3 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
HREEEEEEEE.png
3 MB, 1280x1280
>How can Germans be real if our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>819363
German people are just the ethnic groups who spoke the Germanic languages.
>>
>>820672
I KNEW IT

I KNEW IT WOULD BE THAT
>>
>>820695
Yeah, but you could say the same thing about the Italians, French, Spanish, etc.
>>
>>819363
slavs, crypto-slavs, crypto-celts, french, and various german tribes

consider that the first attempt at creating a court language for the hre was a dialect of a dialect of german
>>
Is the Arab Spring/sectarian violence in the Middle East just a repeat of the Thirty Years War?
>>
>>821268
No, because the Thirty Years War actually largely ended large-scale religiously-motivated infighting while Muslims will murder each other to the end of time.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.