[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do humans enjoy violence /his/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: tmp_24836-205_127650-1828438973.jpg (104 KB, 800x526) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24836-205_127650-1828438973.jpg
104 KB, 800x526
Why do humans enjoy violence /his/?
>>
We only enjoy it indirectly and are convinced we truly enjoy it. The vast majority of humans can not commit violent acts without nasty side effects.
>>
File: 1337756267557s.jpg (8 KB, 192x245) Image search: [Google]
1337756267557s.jpg
8 KB, 192x245
Why not?
>>
Animal stuff. Gets us pumped.
>>
File: 2014-11-20_00011.jpg (415 KB, 1920x998) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-20_00011.jpg
415 KB, 1920x998
Why do some humans not enjoy violence /his/?
>>
My theory is that abusing/trolling/beating others doesent actually make you happy, it only makes you less miserable tha the others. So yay i guess.
>>
>>818238
Violence is an expression of strength and power, but like >>818251 said most people have a natural or cultural inhibition against violence, so while they don't or can't actually commit acts of violence they like to visualize themselves as being capable of doing it.
>>
>>818251
This for the most part.

Many stories involve tragedy and pain, of both characters we love and hate going back as far as stories have been told. We seem to enjoy watching people we like face obstacles and overcome them. What obstacle could be more high stakes than a violent conflict of life and death?

Does this translate to an actual lust for violence? It is probably fairly distant I would say. Our love of viewing conflict and becoming invested in the characters taking part is going to be really dependent on possessing some empathy.
>>
>>818238
In a movie, conflict is interesting. Without conflict, there's nothing for a movie to be about.

Violence is the most obvious reaction to conflict, and a very effective one at that. People who can't stand violence are weak.
>>
Feeling powerful makes you feel good/happy

For example when I'm under a lot of stress I abuse my pets and it makes me feel in control of my situation and I calm down down and feel good/happy

I honestly believe the people that think about committing violence just have a better imagination

inb4 edgy, have you guys ever tried it? Letting your anger out on something? Try it with an object/picture of your anger

Anger goes when you let it out and once its gone you're happy I guess
>>
>>818329
>be person who wrote this post
>typing on a Taiwanese underwater masturbation fetish website
>somebody says Naruto is a shitty animey
>grip armrests of swivel chair and lift sweaty 300 pound body up
>stumble over to terrarium
>yell at pet hermit crab for a while
>grab him with cheeto dusty fingers
>throw him out window
>basement window
>lumber outside swearing in japanese
>unsheath katana
>finish him

>feel better afterwards
>>
File: 295.jpg (9 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
295.jpg
9 KB, 177x278
>>818329
>Abusing your pets
>>
>>818251
>We only enjoy it indirectly

This is true. Most people wouldn't kill someone for not paying taxes, but they have no problems with the police shooting people for not doing it.

Violence is okay for people as long it's not themselves pulling the trigger.
>>
>>818329
>Anger goes when you let it out and once its gone you're happy I guess

That's actually not true. Studies have shown that acting out violently when you're angry only makes you more angry/violent.
>>
>>818391
>get on electric scooter
>drive to pet shop to buy new hermit crab
>repeat
>>
>>818422
>>818391
Nothing wrong with some light abuse anons doesn't me he doesn't love them
>>
>>818391
>whiteknighting for animals

I can't decide which one of you is more cringeworthy
>>
>>818493

So what you're saying is, that anon is arguing against animal cruelty in the misguided hope that the animal in question will have sex with him?
>>
>>818238
We've evolved to generally to like violence when we feel its justified and to dislike it when we don't.
This is because the total pacifist has no way to defend himself and the total sadist has either no one to mate with or is killed by people who don't want to be tortured and murdered.
The problem is deciding when it is or isn't justified
>>
>>818430
i suspect that has the dynamic of chasing a stronger high
>>
File: threat.jpg (42 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
threat.jpg
42 KB, 800x587
>he doesn't masturbate when he's angry
>>
We don't

Humans have a natural aversion to hurting other humans
>>
>>820825
lol read a history book
>>
File: nietz.jpg (126 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
nietz.jpg
126 KB, 600x696
>>818238
>To see others suffer does one good, to make others suffer even more: this is a hard saying but an ancient, mighty human, all-too-human principle […] Without cruelty there is no festival...
>>
>>821069
lol read a biology book
>>
>>820825
That's true. But humans will hurt others in certain contexts and sometimes enjoy it.
>>
>>821100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence#Psychology
Here
>>
>>818329
>when I'm under a lot of stress I abuse my pets
Nah, get a girlfriend. Abusing a fellow human being is so much more satisfying.
>>
>>818251
"Everybody wants to be gangster until it's time to do gangster shit."
>>
>>818329
I hope someone beats you until the very edge of death. The months of rehab you'll have on the other side should give you ample time to chill out.
>>
File: 1431582697950.png (237 KB, 382x597) Image search: [Google]
1431582697950.png
237 KB, 382x597
>>818238
>>
What are your thoughts about violence glorifying media like manga and anime (ie Berserk, Akira) exploitation films or video games?
are you a bad person for enjoying them?
>>
Violence is inherent to human nature.
1. Humans ONLY source of food is other lifeforms
2. Killing another lifeform has two advantages: Provides the killer with an immediate source of nearby fresh food, and also eliminates competition (if the lifeform killed was competing with the killer).

Of there are exceptions, such as when killing another human: You don't eat him (usually) but you do eliminate competition. And when killing a hyena or a vulture for example, you would eliminate competition but you maybe don't eat the meat. Of course, all the violence has long-lasting consequences. But the reward is instant, so it's a way to choose instant rewards over long-term ones.
>>
>>818238
In The Threepenny Opera, Macheath says that violence makes people feel better about the bad things that happen to them so they feel they aren't alone.
>>
File: 1430457139344.jpg (66 KB, 1029x578) Image search: [Google]
1430457139344.jpg
66 KB, 1029x578
violence is what makes you feel connected to reality, just like when you take pride for giving an orgasm to the few women who notice you.

women cannot relate to violence, because women do not want to be validated by the reality; they only want to feel (good) which they manage to achieve only through men on geving meaning to the lives of men...
>>
>>820755
>total pacifist has no way to defend himself
Thing is people can actually live their life without ever having to rely on violence and without major drawbacks in doing so
>>
>>818329
>having to let out your anger or feel in control something
Only autists do this.
>>
>>821893
Only if you live in a peaceful, prosperous environment.
>>
>>821880

Best JOI videos.
>>
>>818493
>they're just animals, huuur !

>>818329
edgy
>>
>>821893
>>822055
Typically people who live like that have someone else do the violence for them (i.e., the military)
>>
>>821847
In what way is it glorified?
>>
The act of killing really exposes some nasty stuff in our mind, and the reason why a lot people (soldiers in particular) go insane afterwards is there is a paradox that develops. It may be a film but the end speech in Apocalypse Now kind of illustrates the challenge of committing a violent act, then going back to normality afterwards.
>>
>>822194
The funny thing is they hate them until they truly need them.
>>
>>822204
It's the necessity of breaking moral and cultural grounds that you were brought up in and then return to them after Where you again have to relate to them after tasting the other side. Then you also add the awful conditions and stress for a soldier's lifestyle in combat that is something entirely different from the civilian lifestyle.

Then again I've never been to war but that's how I imagine it.
>>
Is cool
>>
>>821847
Wouldn't really call Berserk glorifying violence.

And I don't see anything wrong with it, it's harmless entertainment, most males have the thirst for blood or whatever you want to call, there's a reason why 95% of every video game is about killing enemies in one way or another.
>>
>>818284

I think you end up more hurt that way, really. It might be stimulating in some way, but in the long term that kinda tension accumulates and poisons the mind. Does with me at least, even though I "love" to lash out to the ones I'm close to every now and then
>>
File: 1433301633818.gif (623 KB, 360x263) Image search: [Google]
1433301633818.gif
623 KB, 360x263
Its fun lol
>>
>>818430
>Studies have shown

no shit...

are scientists up to something constructive as of lately??? or are they just scratching their scrtums in boredom?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.