[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern lynchings and other violence
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: Jesse_Washington.jpg (78 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
Jesse_Washington.jpg
78 KB, 500x347
How was shit like this ever considered acceptable by even a minority of people in the 20th century? Who looked at that and said it was "okay?" I can understand wanting a "subhuman" punished for a crime, even beaten severely. But this? What was going on in the minds (or culture) of some groups to where they didn't vomit at the mere thought of doing something this extreme. This is 13th century Mongol tier shit. I know /pol/ talks a mean game, but I have a hard time thinking that even they would actually go through with something like this to the full extent, if given the opportunity.
>>
>but I have a hard time thinking that even they would actually go through with something like this to the full extent, if given the opportunity.

I'll bet you they gladly would.
>>
OP here. Just to clarify mine is a confusion on the mindset of the people at this time and not the human capacity for violence or cruelty. I am under the impression that this was in Era in which these people unapologetically considered themselves not only the masterace, but the peak of human achievement. Ideologies like the White Man's Burden would have been prevalent, so my confusion stems from how some people could be proponents of such a thought process while at the same time finding no fault in acts of barbarism of this magnitude. You'd think they'd consider these kinds of acts beneath them.
>>
>>817034
>You'd think they'd consider these kinds of acts beneath them
What did you think was going to happen when you told a group of people that they were special-er than everybody else?
>>
>>817013
Would they really? I mean it's kind of hard to grasp what someone might do based on what they post on a image board. I can definitely see them being willing the beat the living piss out of someone, but lynching to that extent? I mean bitter as they may be about the current world, they're mostly all still children of a post 70's 1st world country. To put it simply, I question whether they truly have the stomach for it given the environment that most of them have probably been raised in. I hear some veterans come back with terrible PTSD from killing people, and cutting of someone's limbs and burning them is way more violently intimate than anything you'd do in a combat zone.
>>
>>817065
Violence, hazing, and prejudice to be sure, but I don't know. Something like this just strikes me as being in a different league.
>>
>>817034
>You'd think they'd consider these kinds of acts beneath them.
Do you feel that the act of squashing a bug is barbaric?
>>
We observe that all animals in nature are capable of doing great cruelty.

The question is why do you beleive that this instrinsic part of humanity is 'wrong'? And no don't tell me it's wrong because it makes you feel bad, that's literally mai feels.

What you are doing is taking your modern, soft-hearted impression and asking why the rest of human history didn't have it, which is a lack of respect for any foreign culture.
>>
>>817034

Remember Lynching tended to have a pretext. Often it was an accusation of rape, or attempted rape, or suspected rape. Police didn't have evidence, they were let go, but their guilt was still suspected/assumed, so lynching was justice. Grisly, but needed.
>>
>>817073
No because the bug isn't human.
>>
>>817086
Is the black?
>>
>>817098
By all biological means, yes, since they're considered to be a part of the human species unlike bugs, thus given sympanthy if they're killed.
>>
>>817009

You're just being sensitive in a time period that encourages sensitivity.

I'm not trying to be an edgelord but it's just human nature. It's not like people necessarily enjoyed it (though some probably did) it was just means to an end.

Consider this; you want someone dead. You want them executed publically. What are you going to do? Chop their head off? That would be too much like your "barbarian enemies". No, you're going to have a nice tasteful hanging where there will be no blood and little cleanup. If the hangman botched it (IE he fucked up his one and only job) the executionee would sit there and choke for a while and that was it.

Pretty simple stuff man, don't be a bitch.
>>
>>817129

I didn't even consider the picture you posted i thought you were just talking about hanging.

Yeah i mean it's a bit much. A lot of pent up aggression in those days, you'll find most public executions were hangings though.
>>
>>817106
But did the lynch mob consider them human?
>>
>>817084
>Grisly, but needed

Yes I'm sure you'd be pro lynching if some bitch falsely accuses of you of rape, you're acquitted because no evidence but turns out she's the daughter of the mayor so you're dead anyway.

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>817170
Define "human". You mean as a biological classification? Or morally feeling that they're inferior? If the latter then, yes they would have thought blacks to not be of same quality as "humans".

To further explain, this was at a time when the label "American" was synonymous with white so perhaps your average citizen that has the concept of human in mind would have them be white.
>>
>>817073
Not a good analogy. People crush bugs out of sense of not acknowledging their existence. That was far from the case between blacks and whites. Whites recognized blacks as humans, just a more primitive species.
>>
>>817129
What happened there was a far cry from a simple hanging. They cut off his fingers and burned him alive.
>>
>>817084
>guilt was suspected
>Grisly, but needed
Wew lad
>>
>>817009
Hickville USA isn't exactly modern society.
>>
>>817009
>How was shit like this ever considered acceptable by even a minority of people in the 20th century?
>Jesse Washington, a teenage African-American farmhand, was lynched in Waco, Texas, on May 15, 1916

>The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a declaration adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 10 December 1948
Because it's NOT the CURRENT YEAR
>>
>What was going on in the minds (or culture) of some groups to where they didn't vomit at the mere thought of doing something this extreme.
Homo homini lupus, man.

You're looking at human nature. Any time you watch the news or read history and see something barbaric, you're looking at something every human has the capacity of doing, yes even you.

You're welcome.
>>
Go join the marines or the army OP.

We do / have done much worse to civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan this past decade.

It's easy to commit atrocities when your society and culture consistently and constantly dehumanizes the "other", whether the "other" is blacks, Arabs, Jews, Armenians, gypsies, or whatever ethnicity is the new oppression flavor of the month.
>>
>>817249
Don't forget the castration

You need to view what happened in this occurance through the eyes of someone there at the time. This was a young black boy who attacked and killed a woman who's husband had given him a job and opportunity. Over an idiotic disagreement. Not only that - he raped her and then tried lying about the whole thing. "Oh nossir officer sir, thats my blood on my overalls. What from? uh...a nosebleed?"

The people during this time had grandparents that almost undoubtedly served in the confederate army, and parents that were raised in a time where slavery was still a recent memory. They believed as science that blacks were less intelligent and prone to random violence. Movies such as song of the south were glorifying white supremecy. What they did was pure justice to them. Not only that, it served as a message. One of the reason so many of these grotesque lynchings happened was in the belief it was a deterrance to keep blacks in their place - remember they held the belief they were naturally violent.

So given the historical context - imagine being indoctrined like that and being there. Is it now so hard to believe?
>>
>>817034
You're not looking at this the right way, senpai. Lynchings were human sacrifices meant to keep society on an even keel, much as they've always been and much as the death penalty functions today. Do you think that we can't just keep even our most heinous criminals locked up in prison indefinitely? Of course we can. But everyone feels better when the criminal dies for their crimes as a sort of moral bookend on the entire ordeal and it serves as a warning to all others aware of their mortality: do what this person did and you too will die at the hands of society for the betterment of all.
>>
>>817200
>>817268

I didn't say it was just or rational, but in in environment where you already don't trust and suspect the worst of a given group, it's a small step.
>>
>>817009
>America
>civilized
pick one
>>
>>817363
Gypsies are pure scum though.
>>
>>817355
This, OP. Imagine the mob killings you see in less civilized areas of the world today. Now imagine how many generations it would take to effectively remove the tendency to behave that way from the gene pool of a group of people. Mob mentality is an incredible, dangerous thing. Morals have a funny way of disappearing when you get caught in a wave like that.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.