[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did no Revolutionary Terror take place after the American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Maximilien Robespierre.jpg (1 MB, 995x1121) Image search: [Google]
Maximilien Robespierre.jpg
1 MB, 995x1121
Why did no Revolutionary Terror take place after the American Revolution?

It seems to stand out from other Revolutions from the French, Roundheads, Russian, Chinese etc all where Revolutionary terror was implemented too solidify the position of the Revolutionaries.
>>
File: Maximilien_Robespierre.jpg (609 KB, 939x1190) Image search: [Google]
Maximilien_Robespierre.jpg
609 KB, 939x1190
>>812992
>Why did no Revolutionary Terror take place after the American Revolution?

There was revolutionary terror.

It was just taken out on the Native Americans instead of the Anglo colonists.
>>
Because the US revolted from a "foreign" power. They saw themselves as something other than English and did not contest this with eachother. Considerably, arguably the most important reason, was the lack of an ingrained conservatism or nobility that was present in other major revolutions such as the French or Russian
>>
>be 13
>I admire Robespierre so much
>I know all his quotes
>All evenings I pray to Robespierre
>I think him for the Republic that we've been given, by our Creator
>"Robespierre is love, Robespierre is the Revolution", I say
>My father gets mad and calls me a faggot
>He's jealous of my devotion to the Terror
>He slaps me and sends me to my room
>I cry because it hurts
>I lie on my bed
>A warmth is moving towards me
>It's Maximilien Marie Isidore de Robespierre
>I am so happy
>He whispers in to ear, "it's time for Terror"
>He makes me lie down on the bed
>I'm ready
>I spread my ass cheeks for the Revolution
>He penetrates me with his incorruptible dick
>It hurts, but I do it for la Republique
>I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
>He pushes farther
>I want to please Maximilien
>He roars "Despotism!" while he fills me with his fraternity
>My dad walks in
>Maximilien looks him in the eye and says "The Revolution is the war of liberty against its enemies."
>He leaves through my window
>Maximilien Robespierre is life, Maximilien Robespierre is the Revolution
>Next morning, I find my dad decapitated
>>
There was terror against loyalists, they had property confescated, publically shamed and often murdered.

Because the British promised to end slavery, blacks joined loyalist armies in mass, guess what happened too them? Mass slaughter and resold too slavers too pay for debts of the new nation.

Loyalists hundreds of thousands of loyalists fled into native lands or into Canada.

Oh and the natives, who also joined the British ranks under guise of recognition of rights from the crown? Genocide.

The American Revolution is a well oiled propaganda machine, the only reason there definitely was a Terror, it wasn't as organized, but it did occur.
>>
>>812992
America did not face imminent invasion and a backpedaling noble class that once claimed to be for and was then against the revolution as France did.

It had won an invasion with the help of a stronger and established power and had the Atlantic ocean as its own personal moat. The English channel just doesn't compare.
>>
>>812992
They didn't try to abolish every single monarchies on Earth. Not even Britain.
>>
The Bolsheviks were hugely influenced by the French Revolution too the point they were basically Francophiles and often jusified the Red Terror citing the French Terror and how successful the French Revolution was in suppressing the Aristocracy.

In a way the Red Terror was an extension of the French reign of terror
>>
>>813044
They just missed out on that part where a strong leader takes control of the country now tired of terror?
>>
>>813010
>Oh and the natives, who also joined the British ranks under guise of recognition of rights from the crown? Genocide.
The natives weren't genocided.
>>
>>813010
this

There was plenty of terror against the Loyalists (in direct contravention of the terms of the peace treaty with Britain, incidentally). After the war hundreds of thousands of them were forced to flee, either to Canada or to Britain. And then there were the bloody reprisals against the Native Americans and slaves who had fought for Britain.

Democracy worked so well in the early republic because the Founding Fathers had already purged anyone who disagreed with them.
>>
>>813074
And actually led into the The Seminole Wars a hundred years later when Slave Owners decided that the large number of Blacks who had fled during the War of Independence encouraged other slaves too flee.
>>
Because the American revolution was just a war of independence
>>
>>812992
Lack of pressing external threat

Mostly the fact the changes they were implementing weren't particularly radical for the US. They had no grand aristocracy stretching back close to 1500 years and all the tradition that comes with that. There was no massive church and fedual holdings.
>>
So imagine the British Aristocracy were well established on the American Continent.

Do you believe Revolutionary Terror would have played out like the Red/French Terror if those American Revolutionaries had to deal with a landed aristocracy?
>>
>>812992

Because it created a separate state where the social order remained the same as before the revolution. There was no hostile takeover of the current government.
>>
Because it was a war against a foreign power lead by a political elite that maintained its power throughout the course of the war and had a pretty good idea of what the objectives of the future state were. Its not really comparable to the French or Russian revolutions.
>>
http://www.npr.org/2015/07/03/419824333/what-happened-to-british-loyalists-after-the-revolutionary-war
>>
>>812996
the Terror in post rev france and russia was the persecution of people based not on their actions during the conflict but on their social class in the previous society. what happened in america after independence was the winning side liquidating the losing side. what amazes me is this didnt occur post civil war
>>
>>813190
This. Very little actually changed in the Americas after the revolution. It wasn't until decades later when the ''excesses of democracy'' actually started to make an impact.
>>
>>812992
you can thank washington for that, he was the one that declined being a king when he was offered to become one...
>>
>>813056
Did they dissapear?
>>
>>812992
Because American Revolution did not replace the ruling class of America >>813371
I will say Washington did good but for him to instatute a terror would be exceedingly difficult since states so jealously guarded their sovereignty
>>
>>813365
A lot of the loyalists after the Revolution just fucked off to Canada, there was no need to holocaust them.
>>
>>812992
Because it wasn't actually a revolution. It was just a war of independance.
>>
>>813873
Mostly died of infectious diseases.
>>
>>813983

>diseases
>over 200 years after first contact

m8
>>
>>813873
Last time I checked they still exist.
>>
>>813873
They were either moved west or married into the white population.
>>
>>812992
The whoooole point of the American revolution was to find an excuse not to pay taxes.
>>
1. It happened and was small. Remember tar feathering british supporters?
2. It was a republican rebellion, which does well eith the existing middle class
2. Americans are just genetically better than everybody else.
>>
>>815279
Oh, and another big thing. Since indians werent really people, soldiers and people could be payed with land, and the government handed it alot to minmax gdp.(farming)
>>
>>812992
Will America ever have a workers revolution?
>>
File: drake refuses your bullshit.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
drake refuses your bullshit.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>813044
>The Bolsheviks were hugely influenced by the French Revolution
Just stop.

You "traditionalists" are pathetic. The French Revolution positively reformed France and spread the science and philosophy of the Enlightenment to areas that would have otherwise remained unenlightened.
>>
>>813010
>>813074
[Citation needed]
>>
>>812992
because the americans did not seek the perfection of Virtue
>>
>>815351
>Philosophy of the enlightement

That's not a good thing.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.