[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauso leum_of_the_First_Qin_Em
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (692 KB, 1941x1159) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
692 KB, 1941x1159
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mausoleum_of_the_First_Qin_Emperor

>The Chinese government is not ready to give the green light to open the tomb. The approval to excavate the tomb will not be given in the near future and probably not in the lifetime of today generation

Why can't the stupid chinks just open it already?

It's 2016, don't we already have all the necessary technology for something like this? And it's not like someone is going to die because they opened it, that guy's been dead for over 2200 years, plus he was a huge dick, so...
>>
>>812438
I'm sure one day we'll have the technology to achieve this...

That or Chinese ISIS will destroy it before we get the chance.
>>
>>812438
Wouldn't the shit inside only decay more?
>>
>>812438
i refuse to believe that they all have different facial features and height, every single one of them
>>
>>812457
Who cares if two or three of the artifacts lost some color?

If it loses color now when they open it then why would it not lose color when they open it in 100 years? It doesn't make much sense tbqh.

Besides, people living now will be dead by the time it's opened, so they should hurry up and open that shit instead of leaving it for the future generations.
>>
>>812479
No, I mean won't it decay more inside the tomb
>>
>>812486
Better to decay in front of everyone than to stay sealed forever?
>>
>>812510
yes, i'm agreeing with you. I was hoping someone who knows more could tell me if there is more to it
>>
>It's 2016, don't we already have all the necessary technology for something like this?

"We" in general might, but quite frankly, Chinese archaeology is shoddy at best. Basically like the current state of Egyptian archaeologists, or that old lady who painted fuzzy Jesus. I wouldn't trust them not to fuck it up. But China would never let foreign archaeologists in to do it.
>>
Uh why open it in the first place?
>>
>>812524
state of chinese archaeology is really poor. in china, in general, things are done very poorly. regulations are rarely enforced in life or death situations, so regulations in archaeology are even worse. they already botched the terracotta warriors, imagine how they would butcher something as complex and intricate as an entire underground palace.
>>
File: _80462216_alarabyaljadeed.jpg (40 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
_80462216_alarabyaljadeed.jpg
40 KB, 624x351
>>812525
>Egyptian archaeologists

lol

This reminds me of those retarded sand niggers who literally re-attached King Tut's beard with a regular epoxy glue.
>>
>>812471
Height no. The bodies were all the same based on troop type.

Face yes. The theory that every single one of them is based on an actual Soldier's face has its grounds on Chinese Ancient Religion.

When a dude dies, it used to be under the Shang Kings that they sacrificed people like his wives, servants and his livestock. During the Zhou, human sacrifice fell out of use since 1) Barbarity and 2) Yeah, what a waste of pussy/labor force. And what replaced it instead was the making of funerary figures. Which was supposed to be based on someone who actually existed: you ought to try to make it look like a person who lived IRL.
>>
>Pits full of terracotta concubines have never been discovered, though experts predict they exist somewhere in the complex.

Why this hasn't been found yet?
>>
It isn't going anywhere. There is no rush.
>>
>>812540
plot twist: they have, but they came to life and are currently fulfilling their heavenly duty to the archaeologists who saved them
>>
File: Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg (145 KB, 321x406) Image search: [Google]
Qin Shi Huangdi.jpg
145 KB, 321x406
>>812438
>Why can't the stupid chinks just open it already?
1) It's dangerous. Booby Traps (supposedly) were present. Also large amount of mercury were found in the core of the tomb.
2) Danger TO the tomb. Unoxygenated environment would lead to the rapid decomposition to the farms,
3) Religious concerns. Yes, we can talk about LE EBIL CULTURAL REVOLUTION but that shit actually failed in eliminating Chinese traditions. Beliefs like not messing with the grave of one's ancestors is pretty big in China still. Mess with the grave of one of them and they'll go apeshit wreaking all sorts of curses on you.

Now imagine doing this to the tomb of the father of your country.
>>
>>812547
>rapid decomposition of the artefacts*
>>
>>812537
Wow, it's so fascinating to read about Qin Shi Huang.

>killed whoever he wanted
>had around 100 women
>over 50 children
>was so scared of death, he spent years searching for the nonexistent elixir of immortality
>scared of evil spirits he built tons of underground corridors where he could hide from them
>booby traps everywhere in his tomb
>around 9,000 Terracota warriors to protect him in his afterlife

But in the end was it worth it? He still died just like everyone else...
>>
>>812554
Actually Qin wasn't scared of death per se. His motives was "there's so much to fucking do for one lifetime."
>>
>>812560
>Since the great emperor was afraid of death and "evil spirits", he had workers build a series of tunnels and passageways to each of his palaces (he owned over 200), because travelling unseen would supposedly keep him safe from the evil spirits.

Then again, this is just something someone wrote on the internet, we never knew the man, so we can't be sure.
>>
>>812554
Who wouldn't want protection during the afterlife from the countless souls whose lives you ended? If I can't live forever then at least I could take some top both security with me.
>>
>>812560
>there's so much to fucking do for one lifetime.
lol? what could you possibly do in 200 BCE?

he already did all there is to do if you ask me
>>
>>812568
it's silly that he believed in the concept of afterlife
>>
hi :3
>>
>>812571
>Projects Qin left behind.
Conquer the South.
Subdue the Xianbei Nomads.
Cross the sea and find out what the hell these islands he were hearing of were about.
>>
>>812577

spotted the fedora.
>>
>>812605
no, really, how dumb do you have to be to build 8000 ceramic soldiers, also chariots and horses, acrobats, strongmen, musicians, government officials, etc

he actually THOUGHT they are going to protect him from his enemies and where did that get him? hes still dead

lol
>>
>>812618
>he actually THOUGHT they are going to protect him from his enemies and where did that get him? hes still dead
Enemies in the afterlife.

Because Chink Afterlife is pretty much our world. Except you don't die anymore and are in the company of the Gods.

Qin sent a lot of people to their deaths....
>>
>>812618
You know he was Emperor of China over 2000 years ago right? Maybe 21st century logic doesn't apply here.
>>
>>812648
Don't respond to the newfag/pol/whogivesashit bait.
>>
>>812547
>Mess with the grave of one of them and they'll go apeshit wreaking all sorts of curses on you.

Man made curses by living people?
>>
>>812618
>If the First Emperor failed in his mission to attain immortality in this life, he had laid elaborate plans to take the next by storm. This motivation sheds light on both the mausoleum and the Terra Cotta Army.

>Unable to resolve his fear of death nor to realize his claim on universal and eternal rulership in this life, the “First August Thearch” (or god-ruler) determined to establish his supreme authority and power after his demise. The hubris that characterized his life thus accompanied him beyond to death itself.

>According to ancient Chinese concepts, death, spirits and the afterlife were not as sharply divided from the world of the living as is the case in modern Western cultures. And the afterlife could be a far more fearful and dangerous challenge than earthly existence. Would his enemies wreak revenge? Believing that people continue in the same roles after death, he had particular reason to fear the armies of the six states that he had not only defeated but massacred; thus the commissioning of an army to accompany him after death. This is probably also why the Terra Cotta Army faces east, toward a pass through which an enemy army could most easily approach the underground mausoleum—the First Emperor’s final palace.

>Yet the Terra Cotta Army never went into battle, and their emperor didn’t conquer death and the afterlife. Nor did he succeed in ruling the universe or anything else. Lying buried and forgotten for more than two millennia, his hollow and motionless army and servants are in fact mute testimony to the limits of human power and influence.
>>
>>812547
Out of curiosity. Is there some kind of limitation to digging up ancient graveyards? Personally it doesn't bother me, but you'd get arrested for digging up a regular grave. But hey, this dude was a king, let's put him in a museum.
>>
File: Goujian 1.jpg (32 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Goujian 1.jpg
32 KB, 800x533
>>812663
Depends in the culture of a place really.

I mean, other Chinese kings had their tombs excavated and placed in Museums. King Goujian of the State of Yue and his well preserved bronze sword was one good example.

But they just seem to halt in the face of Qin Shi Huangdi and shove the world all sorts of excuses why they wont open his tomb.
>>
>>812557
To be fair, he had a pretty rough life. He had two possible dads, both of which arguably cucked each other with the same woman, and were both cucked by one guy whose main reputation at the time revolved around having a big dick. He lived his early life in Zhao as a political hostage and was essentially tortured as a child. After becoming King he killed at least three of his half-brothers and was then almost assassinated three different times before drinking himself to death with Mercury. You really can't blame the guy for not being completely right in the head.
>>
What's with all the Chinese history threads recently? Not against them, but years ago Chinese history barely got 1 thread per season.
>>
>>812686
>whose main reputation at the time revolved around having a big dick.
Oh wow, I never read about this part before... brb
>>
>>812693
According to Sima Qian the guy was well-endowed enough to use his dick as the axle for a wagon wheel.
>>
>>812689
>but years ago Chinese history barely got 1 thread per season.
Lelno, there were a lot of it in /tg/

History threads on /int/,and /k/, China gets shit on due to the existence of PRC. Since retards there can't separate present from the past, China gets a bad rep.
>>
>>812689
It's the only great ancient civilization that wasn't polluted, cucked and still exists today.

Modern day Italians have literally nothing to do with the ancient Romans, modern day Greeks are not the ancient Greeks, modern day Egyptians are not the same people as the ancient Egyptians and modern day Iraqis are not related to the Babylonians.
>>
>>812705
Do the mongols and manchu not count as far as fucking goes?
>>
>>812695
Sima Qian's the fellow who had his cock chopped off to finish his works, right?

I'm not sure if that guy sounds pretty reliable to me. I'm almost certain that he was making a lot of shit up.
>>
>>812702
OHH, tg and k, no wonder. Sorry, those are too nerdy for me to get into. int is too multilingual for me, makes me feel dumb.

I'm happy to see /his/ gradually leaving the Muh classical world saddle.
>>
>>812705
>It's the only great ancient civilization that wasn't polluted, cucked and still exists today.

Everyone got WESTERNED bro.
>>
>>812708
Those two were absorbed though. Manchus most especially.
>>
>>812709
Sima Qian is China's Herodotus, so yes, he's a father of lies. Expect 10x the shit that even Hollywood's not allowed to get away with.
>>
>>812708
What do you mean? That the Chinks were polluted by them?

The Chinese always outnumbered their enemies by a huge factor. The nomadic tribes were often small and couldn't do shit. It won't matter if a group of 100,000 outsiders successfully invade China. With a population well over 40+ million, this wouldn't make any change to the identity of the people.
>>
>>812712
China's conception of their civilization is still overwhelmingly Chinese. They absorbed Western methods like they absorbed Buddhism, as well as the barbarians who cucked them in two separate dynasties, but got cucked themselves.
>>
>>812702
>/k/
>/tg/
How are those boards history related? Especially /k/?

/tg/ is just roleplay bullshit from what I've seen.
>>
>>812720
/tg/ wargaming is 99% bitching about the historical accuracy of their campaigns, 1% actual roleplaying. it's an odd sub culture that is interesting some of the time

dunno about /k/
>>
>>812715
>>812709
I'd sI'd say Sima Qian was better htan Herodotus at least. He cites and references a lot of outside sources in addition to conducting interviews himself, and he avoided discussing topics that weren't well documented.

He was very moralizing and often showed that bias when writing his narrative of events, but overall he was fairly comprehensive and made an extensive effort to research the content of his writings at a time when this was very difficult.
>>
They say it's due to concerns about booby traps and structural integrity but I think it's a cultural decision in all honesty. This guy is on god;y levels of fear and respect in Chinese history.
>>
>>812557
Don't forget that the Great Wall was quite possibly built to keep out evil spirits.
>>
>>812720
History of weapons and militaria.
>>
>>812702
that's because 99% of the people who start Chinese threads on /k/ are usually PRC shills, or pretending to be.
Bad rep ensurer.
>>
>>812726
/k/ is mostly interested in European and american XIXth and XXth centuries military history, but sometimes you see older stuff pop up. Ancient China threads are rare though, the only ones I could remeber on top of my head were stuff like "Who would win between the Chinks and Romans" or a Clausewitz vs Sun Tzu thread
>>
File: 1361638467416.gif (115 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1361638467416.gif
115 KB, 260x260
>>812766
>"Who would win between the Chinks and Romans"
I imagine they go the same way the ones here go?
>>
>>812771
Romans would win of course.
>>
>>812753
No they aren't, they're bored /k/ users, the same ones who start F35 shitposting threads, M1s being blown up by houthis, T50 being the best ever / su27+bodykit threads.
>>
>>812753
>because 99% of the people who start Chinese threads on /k/ are usually PRC shills
Pfft, more like random nigs trolling /k/.

Easiest board to troll since its a combo of MUH GUNS Americans and children.
>>
>>812753
Their have been 30k posts on all of 4chan from Mainland China since 2010. According to IP trackers.

It's definitely not PRC shills like many on /k/ think. It's actually me and a few others who alternate between bait threads and informative threads.
>>
>>812777
>>812778
>>812780
thats why I said "pretending to be".
>>
File: throne_of_heaven_Ni4CAm4.jpg (520 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
throne_of_heaven_Ni4CAm4.jpg
520 KB, 760x596
>>812618
It could have paid off.
>>
>>812742
>>812547
>boobytraps
>still functional after 2,200 years

bait or just retarded?
>>
>>812805
Hey, they supposedly worked a few times in the early 1900's.
>>
>>812805
Well, they could be just simple traps.
>Simple Pit trap.
>HEY GUYS, WE FOUND THE CHAMB-
>>
>>812837
Was this in Egypt?
>>
>>812805
Moron.
>>
>>812547
>3) Religious concerns. Yes, we can talk about LE EBIL CULTURAL REVOLUTION but that shit actually failed in eliminating Chinese traditions. Beliefs like not messing with the grave of one's ancestors is pretty big in China still. Mess with the grave of one of them and they'll go apeshit wreaking all sorts of curses on you.
The Chinese have opened plenty of tombs before, and still do all the time. Maybe it's different because Qin is such an important figure, but then again that hasn't stopped them from opening other emperor's tombs.
>>
He's the first Emperor. If they fuck up, I don't think the CCP wants to be known as "the guys who fucked up all those historical relics, including the First Emperor's tomb" since they're already saddled with the reputation of "those guys who fucked up all those historical relics."
>>
>>812662
>>Yet the Terra Cotta Army never went into battle, and their emperor didn’t conquer death and the afterlife. Nor did he succeed in ruling the universe or anything else. Lying buried and forgotten for more than two millennia, his hollow and motionless army and servants are in fact mute testimony to the limits of human power and influence.
Pure fedora
>>
>>812534
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>815124
You literally have no way to prove that the Terracotta soldiers helped him in the "afterlife".
>>
>>812805
>pit traps have complex mechanisms that decay
>>
>>812457
Its survived 2000+ years, couple more hundred wont do much.

In fact, in archeology, its a much harder task to upkeep them once you dig it up. The process of digging them out of their natural state will mean you'll have to artificially maintain a similar or better environment and those would be expensive. Proper care/maintenance means the works might be lost forever. Keeping it sealed up would be fine if nothing is disturbed.

I'm not sure if the decision is political or not, but this is the economical/practical consideration.
>>
>believed in afterlife
>still spent a lifetime searching for the magic potion of immortality!

He was skeptical too, wasn't he?
>>
>>812438
Who gives a fuck, what could they possibly find in there that we don't have or know already?

The answer to all the secrets of the universe and shit? Who cares really.
>>
>>812438
Yup.

OP is truly a retard.
>>
>>817443
>>817449
You don't wanna know what's inside there?
>>
>>816383
>EVERYTHING THAT I CAN'T SEE DOESN'T EXIST
>WAWAWAWAWAWA
>>
>>812438
>And it's not like someone is going to die because they opened it
That's what the said about Timur.
>>
>>816383
You have literally no way to prove that they didn't nerd, so why argue about it?
>>
>>812534
Heh
>>
>>812560
>there's so much fucking to do in one lifetime

ftfy
>>
>>812695
That's probably an over exaggeration. No doubt he had a big dick though, considering he mentioned it in the first place.
>>
>>812618
>he actually THOUGHT they are going to protect him from his enemies and where did that get him?
Well they still haven't opened his tombs so he's still ahead
>>
>>818030
but he's still dead, so in the end all of it was utterly pointless
>>
archaeologists are poor and need to get funding from universities for digs and they usually don't get much

maybe if it was sponsored by the government they could spare no expense and properly protect them
>>
>>812662
Damn the guy who wrote that really hates the First Emperor.
>>
>>812438
>Why can't the stupid chinks just open it already?

Because they already failed before.

However, opponents of such excavations hold that China's current technology is not able to deal with the large scale of the underground palace yet. Many mistakes were made in the case of the Terracotta Warriors. For instance, scientists were unable to preserve the colored Terracotta Warriors, which resulted in the rapid shedding of their painted decoration when exposed to air.[19][20] Also the situation of the underground palace still remains unclear, so any rash digging may cause damage.[21]
>>
>>812662
Well, maybe he's ruling in heaven right now.

Why not?
>>
>>820377
It was a good read imo, nothing factually wrong about it.
>>
>>812438
Hasn't it occurred to you that most probably they haven't excavated it (or if they have excavated it, showed it to the public) because they're trying to hide something? Of course not, because you're an ignorant dimwit who believes anything that a peer approved authority with academic credentials tells you.
>>
>>816454

Wouldn't it be possible to make a small hole(just big enough for a robot thingy) to get inside and take high def video of what's going on in there? Wouldn't it be at least fairly similar to what the environment is already like?
>>
>>820454
>heaven
>implying the man who massacred everyone he could would end up in heaven
>>
>>820488

The only way to heaven is build yourself a ladder of skulls.
>>
>>820426
It's 2016, how is it possible that we don't have the technology for it?
>>
They don't want to open it and find that there is nothing there, or what they find greatly conflicts with the State's approved history of him.
>>
>>820476
They don't want the world to know that the First Emperor was in fact Jewish.
>>
>>820519
or worse, Japanese.

Genghis Kahn was exiled Samurai.
>>
>>820511

The technology is there, but it is a HUGE fucking place and China's track record of not fucking things up when it's important is shoddy at best.
>>
>>820533
Isn't the tomb supposed to be filled with mercury pools?

The best way to go about this. Is to build a dome. Fill it with nitrogen. Then dig into the tomb. Then robots and men in environmentally sealed suits can enter the tomb.
>>
>>820542

Shit son you think china's gonna go to all that trouble to open the tomb of their most respected historical figure? No way in hell. In another hundred years they still won't crack that fucker open. I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't even in the next 1000.
>>
>>820488
He conquered it with his army.
>>
>>820517
This.

After viewing some videos on ancient "Chinese" kingdoms and reading some materials on those kingdoms, one can conclude that Sima Qian made up a lot of the ancient history.

Sima Qian literally made up/altered everything prior to the Qin Dynasty.
>>
>>820553
Or if someone powerful such as Trump becomes the ruler of the whole world and opens it after successfully invading China.
>>
I find it rather ironic that Qin Shi Huang was such a powerful and ruthless ruler, and yet he feared death. Qin Shi Huang’s fear for death and belief in afterlife offers us an insight to people’s opinions on such topics during the Qin Dynasty.

It is also impressive how so much effort, thought, and hard work has been put into the construction of Qin Shi Huang’s tomb. I found out that the weapons uncovered from the terra-cotta pits are all protected with chromium plating. We all thought that Germans and Americans invented such a technology in 1937-50s, but the Chinese had already discovered such a method of preservation 2200 years ago! Hence, I would conclude that under Qin Shi Huang’s ruling, the civilization had made major contributions to science and technology, and played an important role in shaping China.
>>
dosnt this tomb have a fucking lake of liquid mercury in it?
>>
>>820597
It's what Sima Qian said, but the man bullshitted about everything.

Besides, it's been 2200 years since then.
>>
>>820426
How is it possible that the paint went off when they were covered with dirt?
>>
>>820578
>I found out that the weapons uncovered from the terra-cotta pits are all protected with chromium plating

source?
>>
>>820636
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2015/09/22/the-chrome-plated-mystery-of-the-terracotta-armys-swords/
>>
>>820686
Fake.
>>
>tomb full of mercury

>WHY DON"T THEY JUST OEPN IT HURRARAS

Fucking hell I'm glad archaeologists don't listen to advice from internet neckbeards on a Cambodian shadowpuppetry forum.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.