[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
East Asian/Sinosphere history general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10
File: KiaEf.jpg (91 KB, 571x798) Image search: [Google]
KiaEf.jpg
91 KB, 571x798
Talk about Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Korean history here my brothers.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 670x373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 670x373
WE WUZ QINGZ N SHIET
>>
>>81608
Why did I laugh
>>
File: Tang_Dynasty_circa_700_CE.png (101 KB, 556x537) Image search: [Google]
Tang_Dynasty_circa_700_CE.png
101 KB, 556x537
Tang Dynasty best dynasty
>>
File: 2014-11-04_pdp_ouigours.jpg (13 KB, 310x196) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-04_pdp_ouigours.jpg
13 KB, 310x196
>>83272
>you will never hang out with Li Bai
>You will never contemplate the fleeting nature of our lives and the emptiness of achievement and honor with Wang An-Shih at his mountain home.
>You will never see Yang Guifei buried in perfumed silks
>You will never ride with An-Lushan against the decadent Tang court

Fuck, why am I even alive.
>>
>>81217
Who here /yellowturban/?
>>
>>83740
Dude, you have a decadent court you can conspire against RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>83791
The Blue Dragon is dead! Long live the YELLOW DRAGON!
>>
File: 1398113355157.jpg (982 KB, 1394x1902) Image search: [Google]
1398113355157.jpg
982 KB, 1394x1902
My experiences with East Asian history classes is that they talk about China and Japan only, and only as separate entities, not neighboring countries that interacted with each other. That's pretty strange, since you wouldn't see that in European history classes. Then again, my college never had that kind of classes, and I don't know how other places work.

That being said, how much do you know about Imjin war, and do you find it interesting? Boring?
>>
>>83740
>you will never see hundreds of thousands of men clash on horseback
>you will never shoot a crossbow from the lotus position
>you will never read luo guanzhong beneath a tree by the pearl river
>you will never explore the world on a ming treasure ship under the direction of zheng he
>>
>>83863
>not neighboring countries that interacted with each other

They didn't really interact with each other. Japan was really just chilling for years aside from the Sengoku period and Meiji Restoration/Showa Era.

inb4 some guy who knows a ton about the boring ass periods of Japanese history

Comparatively speaking, not much was really happening on Japan.
>>
>>83740
Daily reminder that Li Bai was a caucasoid, but the fucking CCP and pan-faced mongoloid chinks and gooks won't acknowledge the pivotal role of caucasoids and caucasoid culture in the development of East Asian history.
>>
>>83884
>you will never play poetry games with your aristocratic cousins
>you will never study under the Chan masters
>you will never have moon-viewing parties
>you will drink top-grade longjing tea and talk with Daiyu about romantic plays and novels.
>>
>>83863
Seems that way. When I took a course on it, we did China for one semester and Japan for another, with a couple of lectures on Korea thrown in as an after thought (even thought the textbook itself had a lot more stuff on both it and Vietnam).

We skipped a lot of the cool stuff like the Warring States (both of them) and Three Kingdoms in favour of lifestyles and arts and the like during the Ming, Qing and Edo periods. At least we covered the more interesting parts of the 19th and 20th centuries.
>>
>>81217
Is there any real way to change the de facto position of Taiwan?

Independence will piss China off and potentially damage international relations
Unification will piss Taiwan off and make China too strong and once again potentially damage international relations
War is literally not going to fix anything, and probably just fuck everything up for everyone
>>
>sun yat sen
>overthrew an empire
>founded the roc
>lived in japan
>had a japanese wife
>had a japanese child
>could have helped create a pan asian alliance
>didnt
>mao and japan fuck over the roc

Damn it Sun Yat Sen. Just imagine a Sino-Japanese alliance that could dominate the Pacific and threaten Russia on the East. While Hitler would conquer Europa and threaten Russia from the West. Russia would be reduced to sparsely populated buffer states. And America would cower from the war hoping that the oceans would protect it until Japan would claim Haiwaii as part of the pacific.
>>
>>84116
>War is literally not going to fix anything
Their not meant to. A good ol' Imperialist, industrial war never hurt no one. It's especially great when you can suddenly declare all your debts void and destroy a whole swathe of earth for capital re-development.
>>
>>84065
>you will never push the mongols from your lands with your white lotus brothers
>you will never see zhu yuanzhang take the title of hongwu
>you will never practice t'ai chi ch'uan in the chen style
>you will never experience the charms of a ge ji sing-song courtesan
>>
>>84207
On the subject of Chinese leaders, how and why did Yuan Shikai overplay his hand so badly? If he had waited a little longer, or made the Chinese Empire a constitutional monarchy, the whole warlord and civil war era could have been avoided.
>>
>>84207
Pretty far fetched, that never would've happened. China and Japan both never would've let the other be their equal or superior. Imperial Japan had no reason to want to have an autonomous China exist. If they had actually managed to conquer China, Japan might've been an actually great power.
>>
>>84208
>suddenly declare all your debts void
Greece declares war on Germany when
>>
File: 1435294675142.jpg (106 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435294675142.jpg
106 KB, 500x500
>>83863
>Imjin war
Hilarious. There is literally a mountain in Japan called "Mimi-Zuka" (ear-mound) which is just full of the ears and noses of Korean dissenters. (I would have called it Hana-Yama instead)

Without Hideyoshi, Korea would never have had the chili pepper, which makes Kim-chi even remotely bearable.
>>
>>83971

>/pol/tarding intensifies
>>
>>83971
>Y'know cletus, we were emperors and syuch, darn tootin
>>
>>85549
>>85574
>born in what is now Kyrgyzstan (Turkic)

Yeeep. He was Han Chinese alright.
>>
>>85772

>Turks
>Caucasoid

Pick one
>>
>>83863
Imjin War is fascinating. Its really interesting to see Japan take all the military innovations made during the Sengoku Jidai, and then apply it against a foreign power.

although its one of those wars that nobody really won. Unless your name is Tokugawa Ieyasu
>>
>>84263
Except Japan didn't conquer China. Both of them had the very common interest of kicking Europe the fuck out of Asia, but became too focused on regional supremacy. If Japan had the foresight to see they would not be able to effective conquer China, and they needed raw resources to oust the Western powers, China was their likely ticket. Too much of the Japanese strategy relied on Germany making a big mess in Europe of Europe wouldn't care about their holdings in the Pacific.
>>
>>85772
>Two accounts given by contemporariesLi Yangbing(a family relative) and Fan Chuanzheng state that Li's family was originally from what is now southeasternGansu. Li's ancestry is traditionally traced back toLi Gao, the noble founder of the state ofWestern Liang.[8]This provides some support for Li's own claim to be related to the Li dynastic royal family of the Tang dynasty: the Tang emperors also claimed descent from the Li rulers of West Liang. Evidence suggests that during theSui Dynasty, Li's own ancestors, at that time for some reason classified socially as commoners, were forced into a form of exile from their original home (in what is now Gansu) to some location or locations further west.[9]During their exile in the far west, the Li family lived in the ancientSilk Roadcity of Suiye (Suyab, now an archeological site in present-day Kyrgyzstan, and perhaps also in Tiaozhi (simplified Chinese:条枝;traditional Chinese:條枝;pinyin:Tiáozhī), a state centered near modernGhazni, Afghanistan.[10]These areas were on the ancientSilk Road, and the Li family were likely merchants.[11]Their business was quite prosperous.[12]
>>
>>81217

There one was a man named Hiroyuki the Uniter

He had arrived acquired a ruinous state and reshaped it, giving it form, purpose and brining it back to its former glory.

This man shall forever be remembered in the pages of history and our hearts alike
>>
>>86495
>Gansu

Uyghur. Caucasoid.
>>
>>81217

Reading about footbinding the other day. Fuck me what a retarded custom. They effectively turning all their daughters in cripples with mangled feet that men thought looked disgusting and smelled so bad they reccommended never taking shoes off near their husbands.
>>
Post yfw Joseon got btfo by the qings
>>
post best books to read on china/japan please, i need something to finish after these roman ones, or to take a break from them.
>>
>>83936
>They didn't really interact with each other. Japan was really just chilling for years aside from the Sengoku period and Meiji Restoration/Showa Era.

Actually they did.
>>83863
>That being said, how much do you know about Imjin war, and do you find it interesting? Boring?
Like anything Korean, the Korean Nationalist turned Korean POV of it full of asshurt.

An example of this is the downplaying of Chinese help, which is funny given the Chinese fought their land war for them.
>>
>>86962

The Cambridge illustrated history of china is a fantastic introduction to china. Contrary to the name its definitely a serious book
>>
File: forward.jpg (2 MB, 1748x2484) Image search: [Google]
forward.jpg
2 MB, 1748x2484
Anyone interested in South East Asian history here, particularly the area now known as Myanmar?

Got loads of these magazine covers
>>
>>87236
Cambridge illustrated histories are really good introductory works in general
>>
>>81217

Has Korea done anything besides swapping between being China and Japans bitch?
>>
>General

Why?
Why do you faggots insist that imageboards are the best places for tripfagging chat rooms where nothing is discussed at all except what you ate for breakfast and >tfw no gf
You are human garbage
>>
>>87629
Good generals tend to be off-topic discussion sites of random autistic shit remotely related to the subject with bursts of discussion of the actual topic given in between.
>>
>>87426
Yeah, being the Soviet Union and America's bitch. Although the North is back to being China's bitch now.
>>
>>81217
Sometime before- China raped everything
Sometime after- Japan raped China and Korea
Then- China, Nam and Koreans went Commie
Now- Doomed to stop breeding. Men want to sit at home and watch anime all day. Honkers a best.
>>
File: war_art2.jpg (197 KB, 1377x1056) Image search: [Google]
war_art2.jpg
197 KB, 1377x1056
>>87007
>An example of this is the downplaying of Chinese help
As a Korean, I'll be first to admit this to be true, at least in the elementary school I attended. Might be mentioned in higher levels, but probably not.

Still, Koreans weren't completely incompetent after the initial debacles. They had fairly successful guerrilla raids and siege defenses. They even started using guns.
>>
How did korea escape being part of the chinese dynasties even though they were heavily influenced by them culturally and religiously?
>>
>>83971
>but the fucking CCP and pan-faced mongoloid chinks and gooks won't acknowledge the pivotal role of caucasoids and caucasoid culture in the development of East Asian history.
In Russia we have certain groups of asians that are considered caucasoids (because of the region they come from, not to be confused with mongoloids and the western caucasoids), maybe Li Bai is one of those as opposed to your euro fantasy version of Li Bai?
>>
>>83272
>you will never visit chang'an in its prime
>>91493
Because they were separated by the steppe tribes to the north, which China had no real desire to fight.
>>
File: tranhungdao.jpg (120 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
tranhungdao.jpg
120 KB, 600x450
Tran Hung Dao was based as fuck

>defeated the Mongols
>used guerilla warfare
>rekt the Mongol controlled chinese navy

He's probably my favourite Vietnamese historical figure.
>>
>>91493
Why conquer it when you can get that sweet annual tribute.
The only dynasty that actually annexed the Korean peninsula was the mongol one
>>
>>92070
>Trần Hưng Đạo
Romanticized vietnamese, not even once.
>>
>>86585
>Uyghur Khaganate
>Gansu

I suppose the Qin was founded by Caucasoids as well?
>>
>>86585
>>92465
My family is from Gansu, I can assure you people from there are not Caucasians.
>>
>>92504
Canadian spotted
>>
>>92504

That's my point,the Rong/Di may have lived in Gansu but they weren't Caucasoid.

Even the historical Uyghurs have little to do with modern day Ugyhurs.
>>
>>92606
American to be honest f a m
>>
>>87007
>Imjin war
>Muh Yi Sunshin single-handedly defeated the Japanese
Yi Sunshin was a genius but there were limits to his naval activities,even Kato Kiyomasa fled Hamgyong after the Ming recovered Pyongyang.

Korean nationalists fail to mention that King Seonjo was constantly begging for Ming intervention while cowering at Uiju.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.