[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> everything is like shadows on the cave > except my theory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: plato.jpg (45 KB, 724x955) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
45 KB, 724x955
> everything is like shadows on the cave
> except my theory about how world works
Why do people believe in platonism again?
>>
>>811843
It's almost like platonism has a kind of higher significance beyond its mere appearance
>>
>>811843
>Dude Plato wants us to believe every word Socrates says lmao
>>
Platonism is for hipsters too hipster to go along with the current cultural Christian meme. They liked Neo-Platonism before it was cool, thus Platonism.
>>
>>811908
What does plato even want desu
>>
>>811937
In which dialogue?
>>
>>811949
Um, I think the OP is referencing Republic. So how about that as an example
>>
>>811959
He wants to provide a metaphysical picture and some competing views of the soul while offering several pictures of states and societies with various modes of distribution of labor and justice. He wants the reader to seriously consider most of the views put forward in the text, keeping in mind the logical principles emphasized throughout the dialogue and his previous works rather than the individual arguments put forward.
>>
>>811843
why do people always paint plato as this narrow-minded, holier-than-thou demagogue?

his dialogues are all about questioning beliefs, proposing new frameworks, then breaking them down again. his early work is vastly different from his middle work which is vastly different from his later work. form theory is an experiment he had fun with throughout his life, but it was not his bible.
>>
>>811998
Becaue Plato was right
>>
>>811998
Funnily enough his works did become a sort of bible for later platonists.
>>
>>812012
tfw you will never be a philosopher king
>>
>>811998
Probably because every single word he wrote is dripping with narrow-minded, holier-than-thou arrogance. It's the exact same feeling you get reading Dawkins or CS Lewis.
>>
>>812043
You're probably a Nietzschean, maybe even self-desribed
>>
>>812043
Which humble classical writers do you prefer?
>>
>>812050
No he's pretty bad too.
>>
>>812060
At least you're consistent.
>>
>>811976
>He wants the reader to seriously consider most of the views put forward in the text, keeping in mind the logical principles emphasized throughout the dialogue and his previous works rather than the individual arguments put forward.

Is this platonism? Platonism sounds like it's just being a thoughtful reader
>>
>>812018
it's funny how mad plotinus would get about other's misinterpreting plato's work when he himself practically reformed it into a religion. i mean think about it, he seriously turned a poetic philosophical exercise into a religion.
>>812043
i don't even know how you could come to that conclusion after reading his dialogues. socrates constantly rebukes himself, leaves questions unanswered, switches up his positions, etc.
>>
>>812056
Herotodus is great, though maybe it's cheating since that's history and not philosophy.
>>
>>812067
Platonism usually refers to people subscribing to the views Plato put forward himself in his middle and later works. Forms and shit.

But Socrates and Plato were huge advocates of people philosophizing and thinking things through, and while you could argue Plato got more dogmatic over time it's hard to argue he wanted people to just swallow what he said.
>>
>>812067
No, Platonism is a group of schools of philosophy and mysticism that use Platonic philosophy as a starting point, usually influenced by Christian or Greek pagan spirituality to some degree but not always. The most prominent example is Plotinus, but the legacy never died out.
>>
>>811843
If there's shadows there needs to be a light ya dingus
>>
>>812087
Platonism influenced Christianity, not the other way around.
>>
>>811843
Platonism: Replacing one reality with another and claiming your new reality to be the real one
>>
>>812093
Renaissance thinkers borrowed heavily from the Platonic tradition and Christianity. Renaissance thinkers like della Mirandolo were largely elaborating on the doctrines espoused in Plato with references to Aquinas and other mystical traditions. I suppose I'm talking about Neoplatonism and the Platonic tradition in general and not just Platonism, though.
>>
>>812103
>Implying there can be two realities
>>
>>812108
Yeah you're talking about much later stuff.
I thought you were talking about Platonism in antiquity, like what was taught in the Academy.
>>
>>812115
Aristotle was far more influential on the early church, Plato was lost and rediscovered in the 15th century
>>
File: The Cave.png (32 KB, 522x475) Image search: [Google]
The Cave.png
32 KB, 522x475
>>812110
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.