[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We post historical leaders who would have been ashamed of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: gustavus adolphus.jpg (7 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
gustavus adolphus.jpg
7 KB, 192x262
ITT: We post historical leaders who would have been ashamed of their countries if they saw them today
>>
>>8109

Almost all of them really.
>>
>>8155
This
>>
We should do the opposite. Which leaders would actually be proud of the current state of their nations?
>>
>>8155
Absolutely all of them
>>
>>8155
This. They were men of a different time.
>>
>>8155
Objectively correct answer.
>>
>>8155
Pretty much

>>8345
Lincoln?
>>
desu some of the mud rulers would be pretty proud.
>>
They'd probably be astonished I'd have though
>>
File: Antonio_Salazar-1[1].jpg (374 KB, 1195x1600) Image search: [Google]
Antonio_Salazar-1[1].jpg
374 KB, 1195x1600
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B3nio_de_Oliveira_Salazar
>>
>>
>>8109
Captain GARS would break out his sabre and fuck people up if he saw how Sweden turned out.
>>
>>8109
Reading about the 30 years war, Ole' Gus was just about the only ray of light in the whole shitshow.
>>
Every single one of them would be disgusted at how much things changed and the culture they grew up with is dead.

Like the saying goes, the past is a foreign country.
>>
>>8109
I will reiterate

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE /his/ INTO /pol/ V.2

God fucking damnit dont ruin this for me
>>
File: 245px-Sir_Winston_S_Churchill.jpg (16 KB, 245x306) Image search: [Google]
245px-Sir_Winston_S_Churchill.jpg
16 KB, 245x306
>>
File: Portraits George Washington (9).jpg (105 KB, 1004x1176) Image search: [Google]
Portraits George Washington (9).jpg
105 KB, 1004x1176
>>
File: 132.jpg (47 KB, 700x483) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
47 KB, 700x483
I don't think many people would be more ashamed than Alexander (if you consider his empire to be Greek rather than Macedonian - either way it became shit).

Charles Martel.

If we change leaders to just historical figures, I think Diogenes wouldn't be too upset.
>>
File: lincoln.jpg (3 MB, 2850x3742) Image search: [Google]
lincoln.jpg
3 MB, 2850x3742
We all like to think of Honest Abe as the great liberator and all that, but he hated blacks just as much as the next guy from the 1800s. He didn't want black equality. Really, the thinking back then among northerners was that if they allow newly formed states to adopt slavery, they'll be overrun with blacks just like how they viewed the south.

>“I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. And I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. … And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”
>>
>>10425
Alexander engineered his empire's quick demise himself though. When he was on his death bed, he was asked who would be named his successor. he simply said "to the strongest"

This led to all his generals infighting and his empire quickly broke up into smaller states.
>>
>>9547
>PLEASE DO NOT MAKE /his/ INTO /pol/ V.2
Perhaps try not posting /po/2.0-tier threads. The course of history is typically progressive (not in the /pol/ sense). Any leader of a 17th century nation would be appalled at the excesses of 21st century life. You would have to have a very peculiar set of circumstances to change this.
>>
>>9547
This /pol/ boogeyman fear-mongering needs to fucking stop.

Literally every fucking thread I've seen on this board so far has had at least some level of "OMG /POL/ PLEASE GO!!!" bullshit in it. Not every part of history is politically correct. You need to fucking deal with this or fuck off and go to /lit/ to discussion philosophical shit.

As for this thread in particular, you're just setting it up to be "/pol/-like". Every historical leader would probably view the modern day as being in control by a bunch of stinky degenerates
>>
Hannibal of Carthage.

Granted, Tunisia is doing pretty well for itself, but I always felt Hannibal would be a Pan-Africanist.
>>
>>11105
>muh degeneracy
Shut up /pol/shit and get out of here
>>
>>11756
I said historical leaders would think that, and you're a fool if you don't agree. We're talking about people that thought women showing their ankles made them whores or whatever.
>>
>>12003
They were right tho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikramaditya

Would this guy be disappointed or was he a street shitter too?
>>
>>8155
Finally someone who gets it.
>>
File: Friedrich_Zweite_Alt.jpg (161 KB, 609x768) Image search: [Google]
Friedrich_Zweite_Alt.jpg
161 KB, 609x768
>>8109
He hated Germany while alive. Imagine what he'd think if he could see it today.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.