[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any historical examples of civilisations getting destroyed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7
Are there any historical examples of civilisations getting destroyed by its own policies and cultural change, instead of conquest? Is this phenomenon unique to the modern era?
>>
File: Plan.jpg (162 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
Plan.jpg
162 KB, 900x506
;^)
>>
>>810809
Cultural change always played a role in the downfall of large empires. An empire is based on conquest and growth. As soon as it has no more lands to conquer, it stops growing and a recession begins, socially on the inside as well as politically on the outside. This happened with the Romans, the Mongols, the Ottomans and all the modern colonial Empires as well.

But you're just aiming at the current refugee crisis anyway, aren't you
>>
File: download.png (5 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5 KB, 271x186
>>810809
>>
File: frenchrevolution.jpg (83 KB, 384x480) Image search: [Google]
frenchrevolution.jpg
83 KB, 384x480
>>810809
France was "destroyed" by its policies multiple times,
>>
File: RomanDivided-MC-medium.jpg (151 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
RomanDivided-MC-medium.jpg
151 KB, 500x386
>>810809
If over reaching your grasp counts as policy
>>
File: Boston_Tea_Party_w.jpg (305 KB, 696x393) Image search: [Google]
Boston_Tea_Party_w.jpg
305 KB, 696x393
>>810809
Britain lost a majority of its sovereign land
>>
File: CDHC1.jpg (109 KB, 837x581) Image search: [Google]
CDHC1.jpg
109 KB, 837x581
>>810809
www.hermes-press.com/capitalism_destroys_civilization.htm
>>
>>810864

But they held most of those lands for over 400 hundred years by 476.

If overextension was as much of a problem as commonly portrayed the WRE would have collapsed much earlier. It certainly caused them difficulties, but I don't think it was anything like being a decisive factor.

Real question is why the Roman Empire lasted as long as it did imo.
>>
Atlantis
>>
>>810809
Meccan ^^
>>
>>810809
>Are there any historical examples of civilisations getting destroyed by its own policies

Most of them

Athenian empire for example ended up getting rekt mostly by its stupid policies.

Many Chinese Dynasties ended up falling from either mismanagement or a combination of that and natural phenomena.

List goes on.
>>
>>810884
But this was before Britain was the superpower it was in the Victorian Era, and contributed little to it's eventual collapse in the 1950s.
>>
>"No great nation is ever conquered until it has destroyed itself.”

Will Durant, The Story of Civilization
>>
>>811434
>Real question is why the Roman Empire lasted as long as it did imo.
Strong military traditions and tolerance, and I don't mean the modern touchy, feel-good, don't hurt my feelings tolerance, I mean shut up, keep the peace, pay your taxes, and give at least a token worship/sacrifice to the emperor, and you can go about shitting in the muck and fucking your sisters like usual.
>>
Rome. See the Goths, who were given refuge in the balkands, they were running from from Eastern nomadic invaders. A few years later the Goths were extorting their Roman patrons, the ones who helped them enter their territory.
>>
>>811658
Romans treated the Goths like shit. That's why Alaric flipped his shit.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.