[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Historical Ears Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Histoire.png (13 KB, 960x335) Image search: [Google]
Histoire.png
13 KB, 960x335
French student here, here is how we set the boundaries of the different eras in History. What are the one you study in your country/you believe are the most accurate?
>>
>>809534
>a really long time ago
>a long time ago
>after when a meme Italian accidentally bumped into some islands
>after le Revolution
Abysmal
>>
In Britain eras were very much defined by the sitting monarch or dynasty for much of history, though things become blurrier after the death of Queen Victoria

There most well defined periods have to be:

Tudor Period: 1485–1603
Stuart Period: 1603–1714
Georgian Era: 1714-1837
Victorian Era: 1837-1901

Honourable mention to the The Interregnum of 1649-1660 which briefly disrupted the Stuart Period
>>
Danish here.

We usually put it like this:

Pre 476: Antiquity
476-1066: Dark ages/Early medieval/Viking age
1066-1453: Middle ages (the transition from middle age to renaissance is usually put in 1453 with fall of constantinoble and end of hundred years' war, but 1492 is also sometimes used)
1453-late 1700's: Early modern/renaissance (Enlightenment is usually covered in other studies than history)
Late 1700's - 1871: Age of revolutions, romanticism, birth of the nation state
1871-1914: Communism, labour movements and early modernism
1914-1989: Modern world
1989: late-modernity
>>
>>809553
Shit it's pretty good actually
>>
>>809553
Merde c'est plutôt bon en fait
>>
Polish here.

It like this:
up to 6th century - prehistory
6th century - 966 - protohistory, Slavs
966-1466/92 - middle ages, 1466 is the end of the Thirteen Years War
1466/92-1572 - Renaissance, Polish golden age
1572-1795 - elective monarchy, meme wars, decline and partitions of Poland
1795-1918 - partition period
1918-1939 - independence
1939-1945 - WAR TERROR HOLOCAUST CAMPS, EVERYBODY DIES
1945-1989 - Gommunism shithole
1989-present modern Poland, with 2004 (EU ascension) as an extremely important midpoint.
>>
>>809570
>>809582

thanks, there's my (you)

Needless to say, there's a big discrepancy between the accuracy of the periods covered and the depth to which we cover them.

Our teachers also usually stress that these periods are obviously only rough overviews, so, for instance, we usually learn about Petrarch in a renaissance context even if he precedes the renaissance.
>>
>>809551
>>809590
>>809553

It seems I've been blessed by growing up in a country with little history of note, seeing as we don't have to pidgeonhole everything into being relevant to our own country
>>
>>809590
It's terrible.
>>
>>809599
You're from the US of A?
>>
Is there a Sinoboo ITT?

Tell me there's a broader way of organizing Chinese history. Like ancient, medieval, early-modern, etc. I don't care if it's of their own devising or an made up Western system, I'm just curious if there's a way to break it down without memorizing every Dynasty and its grandmother.
>>
>>809601
Why?
>>
>>809611
Too polish centered.
>>
>>809609

I got your back anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFyeLvEfZEA
>>
>>809609
Yes. There's a formal way.
>OOGABOOGA Period
>Ancient China- Characterized by lack of a China.
Xia ""Dynasty""
Shang Period -rule of Priest Kings.
Zhou Period -China resembles Holy Roman Empire- A singular Feudal state of people with the same cultures composed of tinier feudal states.
Spring and Autumn Period - Fall of Zhou. Emergence of the Huaxia States. (name of the Chinese prior the Empire/Adopting "Han" name)
Warring States -Period of States fighting States
>Imperial China
Qin - Qing. Characterized by the existence of China as a centralized, Imperial state
>Modern China
1911 to today

The reason why you have to memorize all those dynasties and their grandmothers because if you noticed Ancient-Imperial-Modern occupy hugeassfuck spaces of time.
>>
As an American from California, what I gather as the most common terms from most people and books goes like this:

Before the last Ice Age: Refer to Geological Eras (Cenozoic, Tertiary, Quaternary, etc)
After the last Ice Age but before the rise of the first known civilizations: Neolithic
From the first civilizations (Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc) in the Fertile Crescent to the consolidation of the first true empires in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia: Ancient
From the first true empires (Persia, Greece, China, India, etc) to the end of the Western Roman Empire: Ancient/Classical
From the end of the Western Roman Empire to the Renaissance and the discovery of the Americas: Medieval
From the Age of Discovery to the Age of Revolutions: Early Modern
From the Revolutions in the Americas and Europe to the present: Modern

That's the most broad and comprehensive list I can create without going into numerous infinitesimal subdivisions based on region.
>>
>>809599
How is the weather in 'straya m8?
>>
>>809637
>ancient is ~2000 years
>imperial is ~2000 years
Fuck. Well thanks, anon. I guess it's something.

>>809635
i kekd
>>
>>809609

Nope, just gotta know the dynasties.

Chinese history could be very, very, very broadly broken up into pre-Imperial, Imperial and post-Imperial China. (i.e. pre-Qin, Qin-end of Qing, Republic - modern). Problem is, that does nothing because those time periods are so long.

You just have to know the dynasties.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (407 KB, 2556x972) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
407 KB, 2556x972
>>809534
this reminds me of how utterly long the homosap stone age was, no other age will ever oulast that not even close
>>
File: Shang Kindgom Warriors.jpg (44 KB, 650x875) Image search: [Google]
Shang Kindgom Warriors.jpg
44 KB, 650x875
>>809668
The Xia ""Dynasty"" from 2200 BC-1600 BC is just semi-legendary. We have 0 idea if it exists but there was evidence that some sort of settled society predated the Shang Period based on the finds around the Yellow River basin. Particularly Erlitou Culture.

History most definitely started for China during the Shang around 1600's BC following the emergence of Shaman-Kings who expanded their reign to unite other Hua peoples in what is now Northern China.
>>
Britfag here. My view is very Euro-centric:

Prehistory: before 3,000BC
Ancient (~3,000BC to ~1200BC)
Iron age (~1200BC to ~100AD)
Classical (~700 BC to ~600 AD)
Middle Ages (~400 to ~1400)
Early modern (~1400 to ~1750)
Modern (1789 to 1950)
Cold War (1950 to 1991)
Post Modern (1991 to now)

There is some overlap, especially with the Iron and Medieval periods, since different parts of Europe transitioned at different periods. In general, the earliest dates are Greek or Italian, the latest are for Northern Europe.
>>
>>809646
>After the last Ice Age but before the rise of the first known civilizations: Neolithic

I would call this period is the mesolithic, tho I'm not sure if this term is used outside Britain. The first civilisations were in the neolithic, and the period from the last ice age to the dawn of Man is generally called the paleolithic.
>>
>>809695
I'm just going from the term I encounter most frequently, I rarely see other -lithics, and stone age is far too vague and broad to be of use at this point and I don't want to periodize by level of technology (bronze age, iron age, steam age, atom age, information age)
>>
>>809534

>ears
>>
>>809690
>Euro-centric
>Post Modern
That is Mediterranean-centric, and it ought to be since the eastern Mediterranean has been connected to civilization the longest and is a conduit to the rest of the Mediterranean, Africa and central Asia, most major changes either started there or arrived there relatively shortly.

You really need to stop being worried about offending people.
>>
Russian here.
We usually have 2 major history courses: World (actually European) history and Russian history.
World history:
1. Origins of Homo Sapiens, prehistoric people and culture.
2. First civilizations, Egypt, Mesopotamia, India and China.
3. Ancient Greece, from Troy to Alexander the Great.
4. Ancient Rome, from Romulus and Remus to fall of Rome.
5. Early Medieval Europe, kingdoms of France and Spain, Karl the Great and so on.
6. Mid Medieval, feudalism, crusaders and inquisition.
7. Late Medieval, formation of centralized kingdoms, Hundred Years' War.
8. Age of Discovery, reformation and wars of religion.
Pretty much end, the further history is in Russian history course.

Russian history:
1. We wuz varyags en shiet.
2. Rise of Kievan Rus' and it's Feudal fragmentation.
3. Tataro-Mongol invasion and occupation of Rus'
4. Rise of Grand Duchy of Moscow, the end of Mongol occupation
5. Reunion of Rus' lands under rule of Moscow.
6. Ivan the Terrible, conquest of Kazan and Astrakhan, Oprichnina
7. Time of Troubles, Polish invasion
8. Some boring tsars...
9. Peter the Great, his reforms and wars
10. The era of palace overthrows, Katherine the Great and expansion in Europe.
11. Napoleonic wars
12. The Decembrists
13. Nikolay first, some boring period...
14. Alexander the Second and his reforms
15. Stagnation in Russian Empire, revolutionist movements
16. Nikolay the Second and his mistakes, ww1
17. Revolutions and Civil war: causes and consequences
18. Pre-ww2 USSR, Bolshevist reforms, Stalin, repressions and cult of personality
19. WW2. Bretty big theme
20. Post-war USSR, death of Stalin and 20th Congress of the Communist Party.
21. Cold war
22. Stagnation in USSR, Perestroika
23. Dissolution and it's consequences
24. First Putin's election and the end
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.