[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a more based man than Monsieur Voltaire >Millionaire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: voltaire.png (1009 KB, 760x920) Image search: [Google]
voltaire.png
1009 KB, 760x920
Find a more based man than Monsieur Voltaire
>Millionaire
>Finest playwright of his time
>European Monarchs idolized him
>His people love him
>BTFO the Church
>BTFO Louis XVI
>BTFO Rousseau.
>>
>holy
>>
>>807766

Voltaire is an over rated hack, literally nothing he said was clever or intelligent. Hes a pretentious blowhard faggot and only an idiot would like him
>>
>>807774

This. He was the Sam Harris of his century.
>>
Italy had a Renaissance, and Germany had a Reformation, but France had Voltaire; he was for his country both Renaissance and Reformation, and half the Revolution. He was first and best in his time in his conception and writing of history, in the grace of his poetry, in the charm and wit of his prose, in the range of his thought and his influence. His spirit moved like a flame over the continent and the century, and stirs a million souls in every generation.
>>
>roman
>>
>>807774
>>807776
Stay cucked monarchyfags
>>
>>807774
Leibnigger detected.
>>
>>807779
When I see portraits like this I imagine how bad the subjects smelled.
>>
>>807926
>le everyone in the past smelled terrible meem
>>
>>807779
>Italy had a Renaissance, and Germany had a Reformation, but France had Voltaire; he was for his country both Renaissance and Reformation, and half the Revolution. He was first and best in his time in his conception and writing of history, in the grace of his poetry, in the charm and wit of his prose, in the range of his thought and his influence. His spirit moved like a flame over the continent and the century, and stirs a million souls in every generation.
>> will Durant

Fixed that for you anon
>>
I'm Catholic, so I don't like him.
>>
I heard that some of American Founding Fathers were avid fans of Voltaire.
>>
>>807766
>BTFO Rousseau

Very funny.
>>
>>807902
Voltaire was for Monarchy, what are you saying kid ?
>>
> You see that Empire? It ain't Holy.
>>
>be Voltaire
>It's rainy : "YOUR FAULT, CHURCH !"
>Nobody likes you (because you're a scumbag) : "YOUR FAULT, CHRISTIANISM !"
>Die : "HAHA, FUCK OFF, JESUS !"
>>
One of hundreds of narcissistic European gasbags. Voltaire was lucky enough to live in England for a bit and managed to bag some immortality that way. All the worse for us honestly.
>>
>>809027
raining
>>
>Free Speech is paramount
Someone writes a book i don't like.
>I'm gonna write a letter as a concerned catholic urging them to burn the book and ensure that the government acts against a ‘seditious blasphemer’ and puts a stop to ‘the audacity of a criminal’ not simply by burning the book but by punishing the author ‘with all the severity of the law’.

He was more of an attention whore than anything.
>>
>>809052
Source? Ive heard he pulled shit like this in other occassions
>>
>Napoleon commented that till he was sixteen he "would have fought for Rousseau against the friends of Voltaire, today it is the opposite...The more I read Voltaire the more I love him. He is a man always reasonable, never a charlatan, never a fanatic."
>Frederick the Great commented on his good fortune for having lived in the age of Voltaire.
>Catherine the Great had been reading Voltaire for sixteen years prior to becoming Empress of Russia in 1762. In October 1763, she began a correspondence with him which continued till his death.The content of these letters has been described as being akin to a student writing to a teacher. Upon Voltaire's death, the Empress purchased his library which was then transported and placed in The Hermitage.
>>
>>807766

I'd have to go with literally any dude who didn't have sex with men.
>>
>>810985
http://crookedtimber.org/2004/12/15/voltaire-the-hypocrite/
Also, he ranted about tolerance, but he was a raging anti-semite(and he wasn't just anti-judaism, but considered them irredeemably flawed)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.