[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't French parts of the United States continue to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: New Orleans flag.png (39 KB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
New Orleans flag.png
39 KB, 2000x1200
Why didn't French parts of the United States continue to speak French after the Louisiana purchase while Quebec remains francophone long after being incorporated to an English speaking country
>>
>>807361
Because no one fucking lived there
>>
>>807369
Nobody lived in New Orleans?
>>
>>807369
in New Orleans and southern Louisiana there were quite a few people. In the deep deep pats of Louisiana cajun French is still spoken. Why didn't the state of Louisiana become the Quebec of the United States?
>>
>>807378
Which has a significant French-speaking population?
>>
>>807381
The South is basically the Quebec of the US.
>>
>>807382
It was French prior to the Louisiana Purchase and people lived there, and they probably spoke a language, so...
>>
>>807388
I was pointing out to you that the one area that did have a sustainable population does continue to speak French, which supports my original point and contradicts yours.
>>
>>807409
What do you think my original point was? Because
> the one area that did have a sustainable population does continue to speak French
was my original point. I phrased >>807378 as a question because I thought people 'fucking lived there.'
>>
File: 1291782648781.jpg (191 KB, 689x603) Image search: [Google]
1291782648781.jpg
191 KB, 689x603
>>807361

Cajun from south Louisiana here.

just for a frame of reference, I was born in 1990 and my parents were the first generation in my family to learn english as their first language.

My family has been in Louisiana since the 1750s and my grandparents, born around 1915-1920, were the first to actually learn english and they pretty much self taught themselves. The schools at the time when they were like 7 started using a welsh knot system and basically beat the french out of them to make them learn english, and they grew up looking at French as a barbarian language basically, so they werent quick to teach it to the next generation. my grandfather had to teach his brothers and sisters english so they wouldnt get beat in school. It was a system to "modernize" Louisiana I guess.

My great grandmother didnt speak any english at all and my mom knows some. My and a few of my friends are sort of learning the language again on our own though just to keep it alive, but I do know of some real down the bayou coonasses who still speak it, but thats cajun french, which is French+spanish+some choctaw and african/creole.

>>807381
New Orleans is basically tourist shit now in terms of actual French stuff, no one speaks french there for real. Its full of hipsters and blacks anyway. If you want actual French speaking french Louisiana settlers, you have to go into the fucking swamps.
>>
>>807423
According to your OP:

>Why didn't French parts of the United States continue to speak French

I assumed you were referring to places which actually no longer speak French, to which my argument was correct. Because not enough people lived there. People did live in New Orleans though, and much of it still speaks French.
>>
>>807434
I'm not OP, stop being salty.
>>
Louisiana still has Napoleonic law stemming from that.
>>
>>807361
Because Quebec was granted a degree of sovereignty that Cajuns never enjoyed. After the Seven Years War, the Treaty of Paris stipulated that while France would cede its territories to Britain, Canadiens would be allowed to practice Catholicism and speak their language freely. It is perhaps one of the earliest examples of a colony being granted cultural autonomy.

Also, for what its worth, Cajun French was still widely spoken in Louisiana until recently.
>>
>>807430
I know no one speaks French in New Orleans. I live here. The only french speakers are the ones who went to immersion school
>>
>>807430
>>807430
Seconding this. Cajunfag from NoLa. My family has been there since the Brits kicked them from Canada.

My grandfather and his brother were some of the first to learn English in our family.

>New Orleans is basically tourist shit now in terms of actual French stuff, no one speaks french there for real.

We do when we're trying to make money off tourists, but the quarter has been slowly becoming the Portland of the Louisiana sadly. It is hilarious when some yank comes up to me with "Par lays voo English?" though.
>>
>>807448
I only ever spoke it at home, or when working. You can sell any one anything if you put on a patois.
>>
Some still do speak french.

There are french speakers in new england still too.
>>
>>807471
This. It'll also get you laid like your dick was magic.
>>
>>807465
>but the quarter has been slowly becoming the Portland of the Louisiana sadly

feels bad man. I actually feel bad for tourist that get ripped off though. Like people that actually fucking pay money for mardi gras beads and wear them around in like July. Or one time me and my dad were in an elevator with a lady who had a regular grocery bag of about 2 lbs of crawfish at most and when my dad asked her how much she paid for it, she said $30 He just said "ayyy couillon" lol
>>
>>807517
>I actually feel bad for tourist that get ripped off though
>touriste gras payed $30 for two pounds of ditch lobster

But that is their own damn fault that they don't know to just go to fucking Rouses or any other grocery store.

Its also to tourist tax, seeing that 70%+ of our violent crimes are all fucking tourists.
>>
>>807361
New Orleans had a (French speaking) population of a little over 10,000, when the US purchased Louisiana 50 years later it's population was alomst 200,000.

basically lots of Anglos moved there, ergo no French-speaking.
>>
>>807537
>ditch lobster
Mon Nègre
>>
>>807517
>>807537
I was about to ask how you guys feel about conning these people until I read
>70%+ of our violent crimes are all fucking tourists.
>>
>>807542
>basically lots of Anglos moved there, ergo no French-speaking.

eternal anglo strikes again!
>>
>>807550

just avoid the black parts of new orleans if you dont want to get assaulted or killed
>>
>>807556
>just avoid the black parts of [city]
Good idea.
>>
>>807548
Can you believe they think chicory coffee is some sort of delicacy?

>>807550
There is some local violence, but just remember, culturally, we operate rather differently on grudges and vendettas, preferring to undermine each others families for years. And all the super ghetto west bank can't afford bullets.

Tourists are the lifeblood, yes, but a century of over blown Bourbon street stories has led them to think Mardi Gras is some sort of Mad Max level lawless zone.

>>807556
>>807557
You got two kinds of black folk in Nola. Negros (the singin' dancin' kind) and Niggas (the lower Westbank kind).
>>
>>807563
> culturally, we operate rather differently on grudges and vendettas, preferring to undermine each others families for years. And all the super ghetto west bank can't afford bullets.

And with this, there is no doubt in my mind you're a Quarter rat Cajun
>>
>>807563
> You got two kinds of black folk in Nola. Negros (the singin' dancin' kind) and Niggas (the lower Westbank kind).
My father and my brother, respectively.
>>
File: 2000px-Flag_of_Acadiana.svg.png (59 KB, 2000x1446) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Flag_of_Acadiana.svg.png
59 KB, 2000x1446
bumping thread with glorious balfa bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPrB1Hk8pQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL8N6HKmp08
>>
how accurate are they of french louisiana?
>>
>>807361
Probably because Quebec was settled densely enough that not many anglos moved in thereafter (although there were and are Anglo communities all over Quebec, not just in Montreal). Add in crazy native population growth (>Catholics), and the ability to assimilate immigrants.

French lost ground in Western Canada since it was swamped by later immigrants who either spoke English, or assimilated into Anglo culture.
>>
>>807434
Wait, is there really significant French use in New Orleans today?
>>
>>811191

read the thread
>>
>>807361
because Usa richer than France
>>
>>811191
Read >>807430 and >>807471

Its primarily spoken at home and in closed social settings.
>>
>>807361

Louisiana got Mongrolized, Quebec didn't.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.