[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm looking to get into Opera. I feel like I should start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 4.jpg (1 MB, 1240x917) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
1 MB, 1240x917
So I'm looking to get into Opera. I feel like I should start with the popular ones that I can find online then work my way up to seeing a live performance. I'd also like perhaps English Operas so I know what the hell is going on.

I've literally never seen an full-fledged opera (unless light operas/musicals like Les Miserables or The Pirates of Penzance counts. I don't feel like they do though)

Let's talk about the Opera, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
*tips fedora*
>>
>>1000112
Really?
>>
>>1000098
English Operas are usually only modern, and aren't super good. I'd only suggest Opera if you life both symphonies and stage plays, because Opera is obviously a combination of both elements. That being said, if you have any composers you prefer, eg. Mozart or Puccini, or a preference for a certain stylistic-period of Western art music, eg. Romantic or Baroque, I would recommend starting with operas similar in style to music you enjoy.

Also, Italian librettos (the lyrics) are almost always better than any other language, especially German
>>
>>1000098
Pirates of Penzance is Opera, Les Mis is definitely not.

I'd say continue with Gilbert and Sullivan, it eases you into certain conventions and whatnot in a way you can come to appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfnv6wnhUNg
>>
>>1000190
I'd definitely recommend the G&S operettas if you want something in English.

If you don't mind the political/heavy storylines, the filmed versions of Doctor Atomic and Nixon in China are quite good.

This is from a different production than what is on DVD, but Batter My Heart from Doctor Atomic is one of my favorite opera pieces: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUHKHLk_VU
>>
>>1000098
The first thing I'd recommend doing is seeing a opera yourself, in person, rather than watching a performance. It's a very different, emergent experience, rather than the static experience of watching something on your computer/tv.

You can find a version of most operas with English subtitles. Going to a stage opera, they'll usually have English subtitles (typically called "supertitles") projected above the stage, or at a really fancy venue, into the back of the seat in front of you (in the language of your choice).

That being said, I'll give you a little guide of 15 or so operas that I recommend that would give you a pretty fair base of knowledge. Others are welcome to critique my list:

Baroque opera:
L'Orfeo -Monteverdi (Italian)
Rinaldo - Handel (English)

Classical Opera:
Alceste - Gluck (Italian or French)
The Magic Flute - Mozart (German)

Romantic (pre-1850ish) opera:
Fidelio - Beethoven (Italian)
Lucia di Lammermoor - Donizetti (Italian)
Faust - Gounod

Opera (Post-1850ish)
A Puccini Opera (pick a plot that sounds good, my rec: La fanciulla del West)
A Verdi Opera (pick a plot that sounds good, my rec: Macbeth)
A Wagner opera (My rec: The entire Ring Cycle, or just Siegfried)
Salome - Strauss (German)

Modern (early)
Lulu - Berg (German)
Pelleas et Melisande - Debussy (French)
Bluebeard's Castle (Hungarian)
Oedipus Rex - Stravinsky (Latin)

Modern (later) (this is just bonus points)
John Adams - Nixon in China (English)
Phillip Glass - Einstein on the Beach (math)
Peter Maxwell Davies - 9 Songs for a mad king (English)
>>
File: salome.jpg (12 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
salome.jpg
12 KB, 300x225
>>1000270
Just to add another topic, I bought this LP a while ago basically just because of it's super provocative album artwork...

Does anyone know if its worth listening to?
>>
>>1000098
I know some movie theaters show live operas as special events. You should try doing that.
>>
>>1000285
>20th century music
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>1000270
Hippolyte et Aricie would be another good baroque era opera to put in this list, due to its importance...
>>
>>1000098
Start with something a bit more "entry level", famous, classic operas. Don Giovanni, The Magic Flute, and Faust would be good choices for a first opera. But first check which ones are playing at the opera house you plan on going to and pick the most famous one/the one with the most famous composer to be safe.
>I'd also like perhaps English Operas so I know what the hell is going on.
Opera houses typically provide pamphlets, brochures, etc. that explain the opera so you won't be lost.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FiOmiiX48I
>>
Robert the Devil.

All others are inferior.
>>
>>1000190
This, Gilbert & Sullivan are great
>>
Saw Rigoletto for free in my uni. Only Opera I watched and it was marvelous. i want to go to more but they're pricy.
>>
Der Vampyr by Marschner has some great moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9fsX2lP-Yw
>>
>>1003974
>ywn go to the savoy to see what new comic opera G & S cooked up next
>>
>>1004245
This desu
The theatre can get expensive especially if you don't want to watch the shit tier crap that most people push
>>
>>1000270
I watched the Faust last month. Fuck I was expecting German I didn't read that it was a French opera I was quite rekt at the opening
>>
Check out Madama Butterfly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOp7VLBYK3s

why is Pinkerton such an asshole
>>
>>1000270
>The Magic Flute - Mozart (German)
>not Don Giovanni
you disgust me
>>
>>1005918
Dude, don't fall for the Amadeus meme. All Mozart operas basically sound the same except for The Magic Flute.

Plus, Don Giovanni has the most unsatisfying ending of all time.

It's the last act, and you're sitting there thinking, who's going to off this dude? Will he be poisoned by his jealous servant? Will he be stabbed in an act of passion by one of his lovers? Will he die in a duel?

No, it's just that random guy who got turned into a statue 4 hours ago. He's going to come back and put the Don in a timeout. The end.

It's literally M. Night Shamalan: the opera.
>>
>>1000098
Mozart is the place to start, or Rossini
You'll recognize a lot of tunes from either
Try the Barber of Seville, the Marriage of Figaro or Don Giovanni.
>>
>>1006060
>I kekt
But that last trio is incredible
>Pentiti
>No
>Pentiti
>NOO
>Pentiti
>NOOOOOO
awesome
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.