[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Abrahamic faiths authoritarian because of the inherent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Allah-eser2.png (106 KB, 587x595) Image search: [Google]
Allah-eser2.png
106 KB, 587x595
Are the Abrahamic faiths authoritarian because of the inherent cultural attitudes of middle-eastern peoples?

In antiquity it was believed by all middle easterners that humans are born to be slaves of the Gods, and that good person unquestioningly serves his masters.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all hold these same views.

The middle-east has always loved slavery so it's probably not much of a surprise
>>
>>802431
>and that good person unquestioningly serves his masters.
Boy did you even read the New Testament
>>
>>802458
Humans turned evil and suffer because they didn't obey their master
>>
avoid middle east while you can.
>>
>>802468
Easy logic. Be docile dogs and you'll be fine. At the beggining, gods were men (religious practise derive from funeral practises) so I'm not surprised to find such hierarchy in a religion (which is still a group of men, thus involving power and hierarchy).
>>
File: 1457232967467.jpg (42 KB, 600x361) Image search: [Google]
1457232967467.jpg
42 KB, 600x361
Nearly all religion is authoritarian by nature though, there's dogma you must follow or else you will be punished by the heads of the faith, other followers of the faith, or your god in the afterlife, though the Abhramic faiths are probably the most authoritarian ones especially certain sects within them
>>
>>802431
One magic male parent that does no wrong.

In other religions you may find multiple forces of nature who may do evil.
>>
>>804690
>Nearly all religion is authoritarian by nature though, there's dogma you must follow or else you will be punished by the heads of the faith
No?

Hindu, Greco-Roman, Chinese religions are balkanized as fuck.

The Chinese one doesn't even have clergy: just monastic orders dedicated to some god or philosophy.
>>
>>804677
You are using dog master analogy in a bad light. yes we will be slave to our master the god but the God is no ordinary he is the designer of the universe sustainer's of this world and commander of all, so it is not that degrading to be slave of the God.
>>
>>804745
For you that's logical but for someone that dont think god created earth it isn't.
>>
>>804745
Jeez man I dunno.
I see god more as a loving father. Created us and let us on our own term. Now if we behave bad it's our fault. And why would he give free will to his "slaves" ?

We are the universe's way of experiencing itself. What if god created us so that he may see his own creation through our eyes?
>>
>>802431
>Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all hold these same views.

islam does not hold these views. there is no church or clergy in islam. then how could a man be chosen by religion to be a master in islam. you are conflating being a slave or the creator of the universe to being a slave of a man. just because christianity conflates slavery to god with slavery to men does not mean that slavery to god has the same meaning in all contexts.

you are projecting your euro slave mentality onto islam. this is nothing new. your kind has done this since the beginning. the morality of christianity is not middle eastern. it european slave morality. while there are those will slave moralities in the middle east, they do not make such a significant part of the population as they do in europe.

islam is nothing like christianity. the only reason people even think that islam and christianity has something in common in because of the character of jesus. jesus is nothing but an inconsequential character in islam. if he was never included in islam, it would change nothing about islam. the god in chrisitanity is a man god wizard creature. this wizard can bend or break the laws of nature with some effort and his magical powers but in truth he is not the creator of these laws. the 'god' of islam is not a god at all, in the western sense of the word. IT, not him, is a creator entity that has no shape or form and exists outside the creation/universe.
>>
>>802431
>Are the Abrahamic faiths authoritarian
Really depends on how you measure authoritarian.

>the inherent cultural attitudes of middle-eastern peoples
There's no such thing, and this question ignores that Abrahamic religions are all practiced in vast majority by peoples that aren't "middle-eastern".
>>
>>802458
Did you?
"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ."
t. Ephesians 5
>>
>>807607
>jesus is nothing but an inconsequential character in islam.
That's definitely not true.
>>
>>807641
BTFO
>>
>>807651
what is the consequence of his existance in islam. tell me how islamic ideology would change if there was no jesus in islam.
>>
>>807814
>what is the consequence of his existance in islam.
He is a major prophet and is the only one with the distinction of being the Word of God manifest. For Muslims he was a restorer of Islam to the Israelites and has one of the rare distinctions of bringing a new scripture to them. In addition to being a proof of God because of his miraculous birth and deeds in life, he is the Messiah and was also miraculously taken to Heaven, where he awaits the time when he will return to establish God's Kingdom before the final judgement. He's an immensely important figure.
>>
>>807814
>guy who is supposed to kill the anti-christ in Islamic eschatology

>not important
>>
>>807814
Seriously? Besides being one of the most mentioned prophets in the Quran, his return marks the end times in Islam.
>>
From what I can tell Christianity was a fairly open system before gentiles came into the fold and instilled Roman hierarchial ideals.
>>
middle eastern religions
>we are slaves to the gods
classical european religions
>we can do business with the gods
dharmic/gnostic/esoteric religions
>we can become like the gods
>>
>>807607
>the 'god' of islam is not a god at all, in the western sense of the word. IT, not him, is a creator entity that has no shape or form and exists outside the creation/universe.
yes a formless primordial metaphysical entity that happens to care an awful lot about mocking up a list of rules for desert people. lmao
>>
>>807881
i am not so sure about the word of god manifest thing. where you read that? the rest of the stuff is just stories. if these stories were never mentioned, it would not change islam's ideology. also i do not believe there is anything about god's kingdom in islam. the very idea of gods kingdom is very polythiestic. you must be from a majority christian country.

>>807894
the anti-christ does not exist in islam. the person called dajjal in the hadith is not even mentioned in the quran and is most likely a later innovation.

what i am trying to say is that jesus does not represent any lesson or principle or message for the muslims. so how would removing him change the message of islam in any way.

>>807900
the quran says nothing about the return of jesus. this was most likely added later in the hadith as more and more christians turned muslim. a lot that is in the hadith comes from pre-islamic religions. you would think that if jesus's return was so important, it would be laid out in the quran clearly in at least one verse.
>>
>>807914
i believe that original christianity was middle eastern and therefore more egalitarian. this is because most middle eastern cultures are egalitarian. this is ofcouse not true for the persian culture.
>>
>>807959
the rules are written in nature. the quran is merely a reminder as the quran says over and over again.
>>
>>808257
>the rules are written in nature.
Define nature.
>>
>>808257
>>808267
BEING TRACKED BY A STARVIN BEAST

LOOKIN FOR ITS DAILY FEAST
>>
>>808273

AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP

ALLLIIIIIIIVEE
>>
File: vnQoEWH.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vnQoEWH.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
So basically,

Islam = master morality

Christianity = slave morality

am I getting this right?
>>
File: it-is-known.jpg (75 KB, 334x433) Image search: [Google]
it-is-known.jpg
75 KB, 334x433
>>808267
the laws of the universe were created by the creator of the universe. these laws created nature and everything in it, including humans.

>>808273
unless you are claiming that human intelligence and social support comes through magic and not nature, i do not know what you are trying to say. but then a westerner would say something like that. it is known
>>
>>808329

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

استغفرالله
>>
File: contempt.jpg (7 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
contempt.jpg
7 KB, 280x180
@808326
>weeb shit
>>
>>808326
lol no. Islam is slavery. Allah always refers his subjects as my slaves in quran. You have to say mohammad is allah's slave to be muslim.
>>
>>808249
Why don't you actually trying reading some primary source material before you tell other people what you think when even an elementary understanding of that source material would show you're very obviously wrong?
>>
File: Nietzche nietzcheing.jpg (61 KB, 447x407) Image search: [Google]
Nietzche nietzcheing.jpg
61 KB, 447x407
>>808326
Ja
>>
>>809920
everything is a slave to the creator. the sun, moon, stars, animals and yes all the humans too. the only difference is that humans have been given a choice, whether to submit to slavery and become free or not submit and become enslaved. the word slavery used in the context of allah, the creator, means the opposite of slavery to men.

>>809970
actually, i have read the quran in english few times. and i have also listened to audio recordings of it a few times as well.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.