[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Manifest Destany justified? I'm so used to seeing people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (255 KB, 1307x994) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255 KB, 1307x994
Was Manifest Destany justified?
I'm so used to seeing people complain about "muh Indians" and shit, but honestly I think it was good in the long run.
>>
Why does anything need justification?
Historically, people have fabricated excuses to do what they want, and generally people want more land.
Manifest Destiny was as justified as literally any other colonial or imperial action.
>>
>>80222
>justified
nope

>good in the long run
yep
>>
It was a good thing for the US but morally it wasn't justifiable just like any other colonial expansion.
>>
>justified

might makes right
>>
>>80249

This. More Mexicans live here now, and with a better quality of life, than would have if Mexico kept the land.

Anglos have also done a better job of protecting the nature than the Mexicans would have done, and I don't think the Mexicans would have done as well at documenting the native languages before they went/go extinct.
>>
>>80348
>Anglos have also done a better job of protecting the nature than the Mexicans would have done
Not so sure about that, we got our shit kinda together eventually but not after knocking off a few species.
>>
>>80426

And Mexico still can't properly protect her environment today.

We got our national park system established in the early 20th century.

Never underestimate how shitty and corrupt and useless the Mexican government can be.
>>
I think it was one of the reasons for the civil war, which as we all know, wasn't good in the long run. By conquering all the land to the west, it gave way to more slavery. More slavery -> more tension between north and south. More tension -> civil war. Civil war -> reconstruction/mass racial tensions that exist today/mass oppression of blacks. (inb4 /his/ = /pol/ and blacks suck)
>>
I think it was one of the reasons for the civil war, which as we all know, wasn't good in the long run. By conquering all the land to the west, it gave way to more slavery. More slavery -> more tension between north and south. More tension -> civil war. Civil war -> reconstruction/mass racial tensions that exist today/mass oppression of blacks. (inb4 /his/ = /pol/ and blacks suck) I think that alone unjustified manifest destiny
>>
>>80348
>America
>Anglo
>>
>>80222
>Was Manifest Destany justified?
>Was "I think my imaginary friend wants me to own everything I feel like owning and I therefore have the obligation to grab all the stuff I want" justified?

ftfy

The entire concept is intellectually insulting, whether more good than bad came from it is an entirely different issue but the belief itself is just asinine and entirely unjustified.
>>
>>80222
>justified
Nigger who cares, historians generally don't

>good in the long run
That's where it gets interesting. i personally think Turner said some correct things on the effects of the moving westward frontier on American society, but even if you accept his conclusions there's still the matter of deciding whether America would be better off if they somehow adopted a settled European model (which they probably wouldn't give the USA's geopolitical historical reality)

However, to decide whether the move westwards was a good or an evil would require speculating on alternatives, which is something historians don't engage in outside of casual conversation, which makes it hard to argue with researched proof (since it doesn't exist)
>>
>>80669

Even if I hate to acknowledge it, our culture is ultimately a derivative of the cockroach isle.

>>80613

Actually, it created more tension by creating more free land. The main thing the South was worried about was losing equivalency with the North in Congress, which could pave the way for things like legally-mandated compensated emancipation and gradual transformation of Southern society, the horror!
>>
>>80772
It's a mongrel nation made of various cultures.
>>
>>80827

It's made of various peoples, but they overwhelmingly assimilated.

It debased a lot of the original Anglo identity, but a German American has far more in common with an Englishman or Australian than he does with a German.
>>
>>80772
Not like the northerners appreciated the push westward much either though

Both sides acknowledged that the people who pushed westwards weren't the sort of people they'd like to share the political stage with. If you're forced out of the north or the south that you have to (or want to) venture into the wilderness to live your life, you're generally not the sort of person the masters of the current system would like to share power with
>>
>>80772
Not like the northerners appreciated the push westward much either though

Both sides acknowledged that the people who pushed westwards weren't the sort of people they'd like to share the political stage with. If you're forced out of the north or the south that you have to (or want to) venture into the wilderness to live your life, you're generally not the sort of person the masters of the current system would like to share power with

But then again, you have to recognize as they did the potential of the frontier to absorb those maladjusted types, and keep them out of sight for a while
>>
Well it was obviously pretty shit for Native people but frankly the Indian removal process had begun before manifest destiny was a thing so they were fucked no matter what.
>>
it was
In my opinion as a Mexican

Sooner or later we will lose the land.
Such a massive territory with a weak government, it's impossible to keep it.
>>
>>80248
This.

History has went every which fucking way up down side to side up the ass out the dick.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.