[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, you're in a large store like walmart, and you suddenly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: 1456233751601-1(2).jpg (46 KB, 577x624) Image search: [Google]
1456233751601-1(2).jpg
46 KB, 577x624
So, you're in a large store like walmart, and you suddenly realize you are going to be teleported to the time of the Roman Monarchy. You can grab a couple things before you go. What do you take and why?
>>
OP here, I'd take as much aluminium foil as possible because at the time that shit was super hard to get.
>>
A Tablet, then they worship me like god
>inb4 i 'm the god
>>
File: walmart-guns-ap.jpg (127 KB, 639x355) Image search: [Google]
walmart-guns-ap.jpg
127 KB, 639x355
This.
>>
>>799809
For about 4 hours. Then the power goes out and you're nothing. Enslaved at best.
>>
>>799811
This I'd grab as much ammo and as many guns that I can carry.

I can revolutionize warfare entirely.
>>
>>799811
>>799842
amount of people trying to kill you > amount of bullets you have
>>
>>799863
You only need to kill the alphas for the betas to fall in line
>>
>>799863
I just need to crack it off once. The idea is to bring guns along, even just a single one would be useful, and then make my self invaluable by disseminating the knowledge of it to the Roman military. I'm not trying to shoot everyone like it's some kind of zombie apocalypse, the point is to bring tech that's actually useful to and reproducible to the Romans unlike >>799809 who's tablet is of limited utility outside of basic mathematics, is not reproducible, and will eventually be just a hunk of plastic once it runs out of power.
>>
>>799800
Asscher lucht condooms Asscher posibbel
>>
>>799905
Allah hakbar
>>
>>799890
Your plan all depends on you being able to speak the early archaic Latin of the Roman Kingdom, contacting some war-band because the Roman army as we know it didn't exist during the Monarchy, convince the chief to listen to some foreigner, you knowing anything about guns or how to make them, them not taking your guns away from you or just killling you and then steal your guns.

It's gonna be though
>>
>>799975
>It's gonna be tough
Yeah but it's better than showing up with cheez-its or a playstation, at least guns are directly applicable to their current situation. Like you said the main issue is going to be language as I know neither latin or greek, and the particular brand of germanic I speak won't be invented for about 2000 years, so there won't be a translator. But assuming I'm dropped close to Rome, this being the Monarchy their territory didn't expand far beyond the city, it shouldn't be too hard to locate some citizen, fire my boomstick in their general direction, and then hope I can convince the military through expression and body language that I want to work with them.
>>
>>799811
>This is my boom stick
>>
>>799800

Corn.
>>
>>799888
And what if there's a beta uprising?
>>
>>799800
Some books (latin translate, science, history), some solar panels, a shitload of electronics (plus chargers) that I can market off for huge sums of money, then buy back the chargeless ones for cheap as they're seen as useless, then charge them and claim I had just restocked my goods. I will achieve wealth and eventually power, convince the emperor to let me take a legion to sale to the Americas, were I will then name them Anonus Americana (first name + us Americana). We will see what the natives were like then, before the Empires of the Incas, Mayas and Aztecs. We'll find out who built Tenochtitlan. I'll discover Antarctica and freeze myself in hopes that one day there'll be a way to thaw me, but until then I'll be remembered as the greatest human of all time.
>>
File: smug.jpg (99 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
99 KB, 800x800
>>799890
>and will eventually be just a hunk of plastic once it runs out of power.
implying I'm not grabbing a charger
>>
>>799800
As much salt and spices as I could carry. And canned food.
>>
File: 1457321379313.gif (1 MB, 305x360) Image search: [Google]
1457321379313.gif
1 MB, 305x360
>>800722
But you didn't grab solar panels.
>>
>>799811
Boomsticks are the only answer
>>
>>799811
Pampers?
>>
>>799811
>Taking children with you who will easily learn Ancient Latin and serve as your sex slaves

great choice
>>
>>799811
Why do you want to take coolers with you?
>>
>>799800
>Half a dozen of the biggest bags of salt and spices I can find
>TM 31-210
>Black powder pistol kit
>Wagon to carry all this
Thank god I had to take Latin in school.
>>
>>799811
That's the stupid person choice.
I would pick something like a megaphone and make people believe i was the voice of god.
>>
A shitload of bic lighters, as many as I can get. Impress everyone with my awesome fire starters. Sell them for a heap of money to rich people.
>>
A Latin textbook, a few novels, and a knife, no one likes a pale blue eyed barbarian
>>
File: wallmart books.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
wallmart books.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>801229
> A Latin textbook
> at Wal-Mart...

lel
>>
Long underwear
Togas would probly be good in the summer but you freeze your balls off in the winter
Wool socks definitely
Boots and sneakers, fuck that sandal shot.
Fishing tackle. I could outcast anybody in Rome and get all the fish they can't get with their hand lines
>>
File: 1428694355485.jpg (8 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1428694355485.jpg
8 KB, 249x243
Honestly?

Crack cocaine or opium oppies

Get the nobles and priests addicted, have them begging to suck my cock for another fix

Whip it thru da glass nigga, whoop whoop whoop
>>
>>802657
>at walmart
opium
>>
>>801023
>implying a stick that shoots fire and makes people ded won't make you into a god
Just gotta bring enough ammunition.
>>
>>799800
flashlight and a lot of batteries because no more artificial light - might be able to pass off as a wizard or some shit.
lighters - too useful for everyone
bicycle? like fuck, such easy configuration and so useful. I could escape from almost any situation that did not involve horse driven chariots. also, I could teach people how to make them, or just fuckin monopolize on it.

so id be a wizard of light and fire with the ability to make people move 3x faster. i would get along so well with everyone!
>>
>>799800
Monarchy? Like the Roman Kingdom? Or did you mean Empire?

Because there would be way more valuable shit in the Imperial period.
>>
4 357 revolvers , 30pounds of pepper and paprika, a survival knife, a bicycle, hiking gear and stationary :)
>>
>>800704
>Latin books in a wal Mart
You're either very stupid or a better person than all of us for having never been in a wal mart
>>
A globe. History, math, physics, chemistry, biology books. Pretty much any educational material from the future.
>>
>>803772
>4,357 revolvers
>>
>>799800
An acoustic guitar, and maybe a book on how to play it.

I will suddenly have a lot of free time and no easily marketable skills, I might as well learn to play an instrument like I always wanted and maybe earn a few bucks by "inventing" an instrument and playing it for people's entertainment.

After I got people to trust me and learnt the language, I'd try to teach Romans modern Math (I'm confident in teaching up to calculus), "Newtonian" (heh heh) mechanics and basic electromagnetism in hopes I can jumpstart a search for knowledge and go into history as a genius.

After I got fame and recognition, I'd travel to Persia (is it Parthia right now?) as an ambassador and warn them not to underestimate the Arabs. I guess I could also ask the Romans to let me discover America, because why the fuck not.
>>
>>799800
>Roman monarchy
So the 7th century BC?
>>
Potatoes

If they sell fresh potatoes in your average Wal-mart. Never been in one.
>>
File: woodworking tools.jpg (176 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
woodworking tools.jpg
176 KB, 500x500
>>799800
>What do you take and why?

Best bet would be to hit the tools and hardware dept and grab some do-it-yourself books if available.
>>
A few books on farming and a few kilos of salt to get me started. Wont take long to expand when my crops are consistantly doing 50% better than everyone elses.
>>
>>803894
THIS

It wouldn't even matter if you survive. You just made human advance faster by a few centuries at least.
>>
Maybe Yogurt? I can use it to grow more from common cows milk, and make money selling this longer lasting, different tasting cheap high energy meal.

Potatoes, maybe? I can make a killing planting and selling potatoes, again a long lasting high energy snack, can be brought on campaigns and be baked quickly by soldiers to eat. Market it as some manly snack, straight from the bag into the fire, and then eat it as is.
Corn or beans would work as well, but most other foods are too dependent on our enriched soils and fertilizers.

Maps are a good bet. An atlas, or some other form of map book if there are any in that supermarket.
>>
>>804579
Not necessarily. One might be called a heretic.
>>
Seeds
World Maps
Farming Equipment
Kilos of salt
Blade Sharpener's
>>
>>799800
Solar chargers and some fancy things I can bring with it. Get an audience from the Top dogs and show them and give it to them, live like a king.
>>
File: 1442314356893.jpg (53 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1442314356893.jpg
53 KB, 600x600
>You've all thought ahead and have better answers than me
>>
>>803916
>ask the Romans to let you discover America

you realize roman ships where shitty by even contemporary standards and there is no way you'd get halfway across the atlantic alive in them, right?
>>
>>805253
Not him but people have crossed the Atlantic in a lot shittier and smaller vessels. It's not an issue of the ship but logistics. I've read about a few Canadian boatswains doing it in a fucking shitty 57. Newfoundland right across to Portugal in a hundred and something days.
>>
>>804714
>>805224
>>804714
>>805224
These anons have it best. Crops like potatoes, rice, beans, strawberries and any spices could be invauluable and aren't incredibly difficult to grow. Well, maybe rice.

Maps are invaluable too and if you can wrap your head around longitude and latitude you can give Rome a treamendous advantage.

Bringing big bags of sugar and salt could sustain you finacially until you learn latin/develop a skill.

The problem with bringing modern guns is that I'm not sure that the metallugy during Rome's time was advanced enough to fashion a replica. Not only that but you'll need to know the ingredients of gunpowder and where to find it. The same problem goes for bicycles. Though if you get the metallurgy down then all you need to do is wait a couple centuries for the roman road system to make Bicycles useful.

I'm also not confident in my mathematic ability to try and teach calculus. So unless there's a textbook in walmart, which there won't be, I'm ruling that out for myself.

At least I can teach the arabic numeral system which is hugely useful.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.