[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we promote an understanding of the humanities among laypeople?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
How do we promote an understanding of the humanities among laypeople?

Do pop historians help?
>>
>>797576
We can't. The modern society is one of simplicity and clarity. No one can focus on anything for too long because they'd rather be enjoying other pleasures, and even then they'll go off again soon.
Not only do pop historians not help, but that's why they exist. They simplify history to such an extent that it's easy and clear to understand without any controversy or intrusion necessary, so the people can get the satisfaction of believing they've learned something without actually putting in the effort for it.
>>
>>797683
This. All pop historians do is give uneducated people a smug sense of knowing the "real" history behind something, and it's always based on gross oversimplification. See: Jared Diamond and John Green.
>>
>>797767
Jared Diamond is certainly a pop historian, but his work would be fine, though admittedly pretty low-tier, for the academic environment had the pop histories not jumped on his work simply because he tried to explain as many things as possible throughout history, meaning you only had to read one guy and feel like you know everything you need to.
>>
teaching the classics aka not abandoning the cultural relics of classical western civilzation aka cultural continuity from our ancestors
>>
>>797576
Pop historians are the absolute best way to give children an incentive to study history
>>
>>797800
Maybe, if he recognized criticism and revised his work, instead of staking out outdating theories on topics he knows nothing about to fight and die on.
>>
>>797842
It couldn't be finding their driving research problem, such as how much land was required to sustain an English peasant family and its tax obligations in 1240 could it?
>>
>>797824
But that is fucking racist, you insensitive SHITLORD!
>>
>>797824
Not all of Western civilization is descended from the Greeks and Romans
>>
People like dan carlin are your best bet. Drag people in with compelling stories.
>>
>>797576
Teach the method first. History properly speaking, is not taught until higher level university courses now.
>>
>>798314
My high school curriculum emphasised method.

And that was 20 years ago.

shrug.
>>
>>797576
Pop anything is bad. The laypeople will never understand the humanities without appreciating its merits for themselves.
>>
>>797842
I'd agree with this, so long as they aren't presented as being comprehensive in any way.
You want kids to learn that history is full of neat stories and information, and hope they will pursue it. You do not want kids to think they know all about a subject just because they watched one show or read one book about it.
>>
pop history is ok
but its usually from a bias point of view
>>
>>797576
We don't. I beg the question: why? Most people are just outright disinterested, which is where the cancer of pop history comes from
>>
>>797576
>>797800
can there be a way of hooking lay people in with representations of history that validate their instinctual beliefs while still showing them what these beliefs fail to offer? or will these attempts always end in offending the audience
>>
>>797683
this could be broadened to more than just history...
>>
>>797576

ha i go to see this painting often irl
>>
>>798303
but much of the academic traditions that we choose to practice are definitely Hellenic in nature
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.