[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I am that I am."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: what is your name.jpg (39 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
what is your name.jpg
39 KB, 400x392
What did he mean by this?
>>
That's a shit-tier translation.
>>
It meant that it is itself having become itself; It is because it selfmade into what it essentially is.
>>
>>792782
How would you translate it?
>>
File: Popeye.jpg (15 KB, 346x334) Image search: [Google]
Popeye.jpg
15 KB, 346x334
He meant that he yam what he yam
>>
>I'm God, but I'm like BIGGER and better than the gods of others. Don't go trivializing me with names and statues, I don't get involved in the petty affairs and nuances of human politics.
>Anyway I'm backing you as my people. Leave Egypt and conquer a land where you can build a temple for me to dwell in.
>>
>>792775
I like the Golden Calf dude a lot more, he has no problem with partying down and fucking, not like MOSES the killjoy.
>>
It sounds like philosophy talking about the "being". I mean, it's like "I am the being".
>>
>>792775

Remember, that's not actually how God "introduces" Himself to Moses, it's with the refrain of "I am the (ruler)-God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Rather, "I am that I am" is in response to Moses's question of

>When I get down to talk to the Israelites, and they ask me who are You, what do I say?

And while I'm not >>792782 , he's got a point. אֶהְיֶה is future tense, not present. More precise would be "I will be that will be" or perhaps in more normal English, "I am the future"

When you're coming with a message of deliverance, proclaiming that your God is the future of things, and a better future at that, is what will get people going, motivated.
>>
>>792884
Hebrew didn't have a future tense, senpai
>>
>>792901

What are you talking about? Of course it did. Do you really expect a language to develop without the ability to differentiate between what happened yesterday, what's happening today, and what will happen tomorrow?

I mean seriously, the entire separate branch of imperatives are all grammatically related to the future tense, and when you get to Leviticus especially, it seems like every third word is a command of some sort.
>>
>>792884
>More precise would be "I will be that will be" or perhaps in more normal English, "I am the future"
B-but that refutes Scholastic and Neothomist theologians that say that the concept of God as pure act and pure being is in the bible because he said I am that I am.

Therefore I'm gonna ignore that. Muh traditions, muh magisterium.
>>
>>792884
Stop calling YHWH "God"; YHWH is a djinn/daemon; it isn't God.
>>
>>792912
Biblical Hebrew conjugated for aspect, not tense.

אֶהְיֶה is imperfect, and doesn't have any overt tense.
>>
>>792775
Study Parmenides kiddo
>>
>>792834

Moloch the baby eater?
>>
>>792775
That He is the sheer essence of existence. He is to be.
>>
>>792802
underrated
>>
>>792775

It means he is a pseudo-intellectual faggot. Someone should have punched him in the face.
>>
I don't know, some weird jewberrish
>>
>>793003
Please elaborate
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.