[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ancient Macedonia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Were the macedonians before Philip and Alexander the great a different ethnic group? Like Dorians were different from Achaeans.
>>
Glorified Thracians
>>
>>789652
This.

Macedonians were not Greek.
>>
>>789629
Hilltribal Peoples having shitfights with Thracians and Odrysians
>>
>>791282
Didn't during some Greek general's trial by Alexander for treason, Alexander states he was proud of his Macedonian heritage even if it made him a "barbarian" in Greek eyes?
>>
>>791522
Yeah
Also he loved killing captive greeks during his breakfast time.
>>
>>791282
That's like saying slavs aren't white. Macedonians were "niggers" of Greece
>>
>>791292
The Odysians were Thracians. In fact we don't know where the ethnonym comes from. We don't know whether Thracia comes from the people that inhabited it or vice versa. Same with Moesia. We don't know if the Thracian tribes had the conscience they had something in common with the tribe next to them, that they were part of something bigger. We have to scrape the bottom of Herodotus and The Illiad for a little something about the Thracians because these fuckers refused to write about themselves.
>>
>>789652
Is this true? Im a thraciaboo but have never thought about this
>>
Memes, greek anger and national romanticism aside,

Just how much is the FYRM relatable to ancient Macedonia?
>>
>>794075
>Just how much is the FYRM relatable to ancient Macedonia?

The ancient region of Macedonia is located inside modern Greece so.....

Also most Macedonians in ancient art are depicted like
>>789629
pic related. But FYROMers are blond haired blue eyed pink skinned....
>>
>>789629

No, they were a Greek speaking ethnic group descended from Dorians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Macedonian_language

Dorians were also Greeks and spoke Greek and were possibly a different ethnic group from the Mycenaean , but with the same indo-european origins.
>>
>>794086
>But FYROMers are blond haired blue eyed pink skinned..

Is this a joke? Literally 90% of people hhave brown hair and 70% + have brown eyes. As children its the other way around but it darkens with age

T. Brown haired, brown eyed fyromer born with blonde hair and green eyes
>>
>>789652

Only you are forgetting that Thracians spoke a completely different non-hellenic language, worshiped different gods, and had a completely different non-urban society compared to the ancient Macedonians. They were also mortal enemies that constantly fought against each other https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odrysian_kingdom#The_Odrysians

And lets not forget the biggest reason, Thracians, Illyrians, Persians, Egyptians,Romans, Phrygians and native Anatolians were barbarians in the Greeks eyes, Macedonians were not, except by Demosthenes who was butthurt that Athens lost it's independence to Macedon.
>>
>>794128
>born with blonde hair and green eyes

Still not true Greek m8
You might be a Slav rapebaby
Ottomans hired a lot of Slav mercenaries an sheet
>>
>>794131
>Macedonians were not, except by Demosthenes who was butthurt that Athens lost it's independence to Macedon.

Most Greeks saw Macedonians as barbarians, but because they adopted Greek culture, they were slightly less shitty barbarians
>>
>>794133
I never said i was Greek, i just told you "fyromers" arent blond haired and blue eyed.
>>
>>794075

Fyromians speak Bulgarian and have Slavic culture.

They should either be part of Serbian clay, or do what they originally intended to do in WWII and the Greek Civil war and unify with Bulgaria, their nation is an aberration that was caused by Tito's Yugoslavian expansionism.
>>
>>794133
Also can the "blond haired blue eyed Slavic invasion" meme die?
>>
>>794140

>source

>my ass
>>
>>794145
Though we and the bulgarians are the same people, the idea of a separate Macedonian state existed long before Tito, titoists just eleveted the regional macedonian identity to a national one, and called themselves succesors of the IMRO which fought for an independent Macedonia (since union with Bulgaria was impossible), this is why the transition was so easy.
>>
>>794133

Slavs never conquered Byzantium, Bulgaria was btfo two times in wars against the Byzantine empire, and the Serbian Empire lasted very little.

That is not to say that Slavs did not live inside the Byzantine Empire, since many Emperors actively transferred Slavic populations into mainland Greece as farmers and to repopulate the Themata regions. Byzantium in general was very multicultural.

As for the Ottoman rape baby accusation, no , the Ottomans scoured Greece two times during the Orlov revolt and in 1826 during the Ottoman–Egyptian invasion of Mani, both happening in the Peloponnese.
>>
>>794159

I'm Greek and I'm in favor of pan-Balkan/ Southern European Union. Us eastern Europeans have a common heritage and a culture separate from western Europe, we shouldn't fight each other over petty bullshit like that, the era of national borders is coming to an end anyway, what we as Europeans should do is built stronger bonds with each other instead of killing each other like in WWII and Yugoslavia.

Bulgarians are still dicks to us though.
>>
proto-Afghans
>>
Ancient Macedonians were not a Hellenic people, the people spoke a language unintelligible by Greeks.

The nobles though were heavily Hellenized. Alexander's mother was Greek and Royal Dynasty tired to portrayed themselves as belonging to the Hellenic culture (with Olmypics, Donating to temples, Delphi etc) way before him. So they were deseperately tried to fit in. Macedonians were as Greek as Turks are European back then.

Later on they were Hellenized completely, just like Lycians or Carians.

Ignore the greek revisionists who change history because "muh alexander"
>>
File: Alexander the Great_0.jpg (25 KB, 623x413) Image search: [Google]
Alexander the Great_0.jpg
25 KB, 623x413
OP here - Let's not turn this thread into something ugly, I am bulgarian myself and I hate when people argue about FYROM. Let me clarify again - what I want to know is: Were the pre Alexander macedonians a different ethnic group, and were Alexander's macedonians actually greek?(the ancient macedonian language died, and they adopted greek culture)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.