[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you think if you never learnt a language? In Ideas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1450135100760.jpg (22 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1450135100760.jpg
22 KB, 640x640
How would you think if you never learnt a language? In Ideas?
>>
>>788772
like a violent fuse line wwhwwhhwhwwhissssppp anddd its gone.
>>
>>788772
Senpai
There are people out there who do not think by words.
A lot of people think through images.
>>
>>788772
Images, movement, sound, sentiments, bodily sensations, taste, like an animal.
>>
Language is a known system of patterns used to communicate with each other.

Your brain would still recognize patterns and such with no "language". And you'd think in patterns as such.
>>
>>788803
>>788822

What would happen if you took a man who had no contact with the human world and then taught him a language, would he think in words do you think?
>>
>>788829
Yes. That has happened several times through history. "Feral" persons are discovered, taught, and soon they're acting and thinking like a "normal" person.
>>
>>788835
That's actually strange. Assuming the 'verbal' form of thinking takes over the other form of 'visual' thinking, you would think the most prevalent form the brain used would be the one to persist. As that's what it had been used to for so long.
>>
>>788839
Thinking is not done by the brain, but by the mind.
>>
>>788829
Human brain and by extension, human physiology are wired for pattern recognition and pattern crunching. Its how we learn how to walk/read/talk/smell/hear, etc. Even at cellular level this is the case. It doesn't even need to be human, it can be just about any animal from earth, we all share the same algorithm. Now a creature from a different evolutionary brach might have different aspects, but for the most part, if its a evolutionary byproduct, it will most likely have developed a pattern recognition system.
>>
I really fucking hate armchair psychology.
>>
>>788860
As if professional psychology is any more accurate or useful.
>>
>>788860
Calm down, little man, and go away.
>>
>>788869
>le psychology is not a science and is useless meme

If you can't grasp it, why even shit on it? Just ignore it instead of acting like a frustrated idiot.
>>
>>788879
OP here, apart from my GP I have seen 4 psychologists, 2 clinical and one psychiatrist. All they can do is give you sick drugs, they know nothing except themselves. All the knowledge they learnt is readily available to everyone.
>>
>>788888
You don't even know what psychology, and psychiatry are, and apparently you believe that they are the same thing...
>>
>>788905
I admit I did just google what they do, dyslexia will do that to you, fact remains, they don't know shit. First hand experience trumps internet knowledge, bro.

One of the most depressing things I realised was they can't do shit to help you except give you drugs to numb the pain.
>>
>>788917
or give you insights into the why of your thinking patterns
>>
>>788829
You can't they already tried it
>>
>>788772
I believe he would come up with his own words, that he would associate to tools, food etc.
>>
>>788835
No they don't, they're damaged for life.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.